Home
I have a couple VX3 and a VXIII scope. Is there any way to reset the hunting turrets to a zero? I know they have a sliding washer thingy but my zero sits on the muzzle end of the scope. I wish there was a way to reset the zero on the butt end so i could see it from a shooting position? My zeiss scopes all can have the Zero reset to where i want it. Is there something i am not understanding about Leupold scopes?
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
I have a couple VX3 and a VXIII scope. Is there any way to reset the hunting turrets to a zero? I know they have a sliding washer thingy but my zero sits on the muzzle end of the scope. I wish there was a way to reset the zero on the butt end so i could see it from a shooting position? My zeiss scopes all can have the Zero reset to where i want it. Is there something i am not understanding about Leupold scopes?

No, there isn't a way to do it unless you paint a spot on there yourself. I chose to get their new turrets to use instead.

Here is a link to accurate shooter which shows the product.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2015/08/new-screw-on-knurled-dials-for-leupold-scope-turrets/

I hope it is OK to post a link to this website.
The S1 dial is awesome. They are very easy to install and zero! Well worth the money.
Thank you! This is exactly what i was looking for. Looks like ~$50 for a set of two which, in my case, will cover two rifles for me. I dont care to dial for windage, so one set will give me two elevation turrets. Hope they work as advertised.. Are they as easy to install as they look? Any tinkering with the existing hunting adjustment knobs to get these attached?
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
Thank you! This is exactly what i was looking for. Looks like ~$50 for a set of two which, in my case, will cover two rifles for me. I dont care to dial for windage, so one set will give me two elevation turrets. Hope they work as advertised.. Are they as easy to install as they look? Any tinkering with the existing hunting adjustment knobs to get these attached?

The ad says for $50 dollars a set, but in reality it is $50 a piece. There are two pieces to each turret. One which makes the base and the second which is the dial you turn. It is very easy to install. Just take a bottle opener and pop off the caps on there now and it exposes the old style coin slot. Screw the base on and make sure you get the lug close to the one on the coin slot before you start screwing it down and you can feel it slide in. Tighten until you get one of the white marks to center for your eye. Place the dial on and tighten the three screws. A five minute job, maybe fifteen if you have too many thumbs like me laugh
If my words sound confusing I can snap a couple of pictures to show it.
yes, pictures please.
Looks like the Leup version of the venerable Stoney Point turret. It has the same design and works well on the two Leup's I have them on.

It's worth shooting some tests at 100 yards to see how well your Leupold is tracking once you get the turret. I've had mixed results, ranging from "scope for sale" to "this is usable".
Originally Posted by Adk_BackCountry
yes, pictures please.

Ok, here they are. A picture is worth a thousand words, right?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Thanks for the pictures, looks self-explanatory!
I can't find these turrets on the Leupold website anywhere. Where are they listed?
Thanks for the write up!
I can't find these turrets on the Leupold website anywhere. Where are they listed?

I couldn't find them there either. I had to call and order them.
Originally Posted by kingston
Thanks for the write up!

You're welcome.
Has anyone had a chance to see if they hold zero and track accurately?
Adk_BackCountry

Holding Zero has nothing to do with the SOD

RTZ and tracking are independent from scope to scope.

Sadly.....all V3's aren't created equal

Do you have that 2016 Colorado elk lined up
The $50 Screw On Dial "SOD"

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
No, I am so disappointed, I really wanted to come over this year. It was looking more like an Idaho hunt, though, I will still have an Adirondack whitetail hunt.

I meant to ask, will I be able to return to my zero after each shot accurately, each time from a dial-up?
Hard to see in this picture

[Linked Image]

Impossible to see it here....to much "junk" in the way

[Linked Image]
OMG! I would lose it in a big way if I had him in my crosshairs! That is Awesome!
No, I am so disappointed, I really wanted to come over this year. It was looking more like an Idaho hunt, though, I will still have an Adirondack whitetail hunt.

I meant to ask, will I be able to return to my zero after each shot accurately, each time from a dial-up?

That's entirely dependant on the scope.

I realized that after I hit, send. LOL Call me,Big rush Adk_Backcountry.
Some of you might be able to tell I am "anxious".
How are these that much different than the stoney point screw on adj caps?
The SP Clone is an EPIC piece of fhuqking schit in either guise,followed closely by CDS. Then friction capped adjustments,followed by capped clicks. From there it is a capped target turret(whether tall or M3) and Sillywet exposed. Then exposed M3's.

M1's steal the fhuqking show....though ALL pales to a MQ Fixed Fhuqker.

Pardon my having them all.

Hint.

The MQ's etched windshield allows farrrrrrrrrrrr more opportunity,than any of it.

Re-hint.

You've been led to water.
Originally Posted by nimrodtracy

I don't have any of the SP dials but I doubt there is much difference in the two.

The Leupold Screw On Dial SOD just replaces your Leupold cap and threads on while slipping a male keyway into the erector slot. It's then capped off with the marked dial with 3 opposing set screws lock it all together and allow zero

Simple? Yes

Cheap? $50

Yes again
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Originally Posted by nimrodtracy

I don't have any of the SP dials but I doubt there is much difference in the two.

The Leupold Screw On Dial SOD just replaces your Leupold cap and threads on while slipping a male keyway into the erector slot. It's then capped off with the marked dial with 3 opposing set screws lock it all together and allow zero

Simple? Yes

Cheap? $50

Yes again
Tedhorn, do you need to resight the rifle in? Looks like the slot will have trouble lining up with the scope key?
Nope....your zero doesn't get disturbed during installation

There is an "e" clip that you slip out that allows you to screw on the cap without the drive stem turning.

After you get the cap in place you re-install the clip and top it off with the numbered cap

Originally Posted by tedthorn
Nope....your zero doesn't get disturbed during installation

There is an "e" clip that you slip out that allows you to screw on the cap without the drive stem turning.

After you get the cap in place you re-install the clip and top it off with the numbered cap

Thanks for the tips, and I hope you get your bull this year!
No luck in the draw this year for elk or deer but I did draw a buck pronghorn tag
© 24hourcampfire