Home
Posted By: Old Ornery Kahles Scopes - 06/28/16
Anyone run Kahles scopes on their hunting rifles? They sound like they are very good optics.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Kahles Scopes - 06/28/16
I don't runs Kahles on all of them... just my six favorite.
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Kahles Scopes - 06/28/16
I have no complaints with the 4 I own.
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Kahles Scopes - 06/28/16
I got a Kahles 2-7X36 recently to get it's 'name' and something 'euro' to put on a full stock Brno 22F. It's eyepiece is marked "made in Austria"

The crosshairs in it turn pink with light on it's ocular lens.

The crosshairs turn pink worse on the Swarovski Z3 3-9-36 on a favorite custom.

Posted By: Ringman Re: Kahles Scopes - 06/28/16
I sold mine only because I needed money for an Alaskan trip. What was so fun about it is it was the first higher end scope I ever looked through. Up until then and even later I used Tasco World Class. With the Tasco I could see detail, but with the Kahles I could see color and detail.
Posted By: SKane Re: Kahles Scopes - 06/28/16
I have a couple of the 2x7's. That particular model is quite svelte and has a really nice view.
Posted By: 7025Jack Re: Kahles Scopes - 06/28/16
EXCELLENT OPTICS!I have maybe 9-10 at present. Lot of value for the cost typically. Very nice eyebox so quick target acquisition. Love them!
Posted By: Northman Re: Kahles Scopes - 06/28/16
Have a Helia C 4x36 and 6x42.

The 4x36 is the BEST scope I have ever looked through!

The Leupolds I have, cant even compare.

The 6x42 is very good as well, and is going on top a custom 6,5x55 I am building.

But, buy every 4x36 you can find..
Posted By: ghostrider272 Re: Kahles Scopes - 06/29/16
Have at least 7 of them. It was my first high end piece of glass. Great optics! Not planning on getting rid of them either...
Posted By: Turk1961 Re: Kahles Scopes - 06/29/16
I have four of the MZ Kahles Scopes, 2-7, 3-9 and two 4-12s. Love them all. Each day I look for more of them to buy. The 2-7 is my favorite also. With the MZ scopes all I have to worry about is the wind. The drop I can dial to in a second or two with the MZ. Most of my hunting is done in West Texas. Lots of room and WIND! frown
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Kahles Scopes - 06/29/16
They are owned by Swarovski, same glass, a bit less on mechanics. Good scopes, but for the money, I think MEOPTAS are a better value
Posted By: WRO Re: Kahles Scopes - 06/29/16
Khales is the tactical side of Swarovski that is more geared towards L.E. and Military applications.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Kahles Scopes - 06/29/16
I've had them, still have one.

Good glass. I understand they were owned by Swaro, heard they split and Swaro quit doing their U.S. CS. I'm not sure what the current status is.

The one I sent to Swaro was serviced just like one of their own products. An 8x56 looked like something was "growing" on the reticle. Swaro fixed it. The current owner says it's starting to do the same thing. I'm not sure what's causing that.

DF
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Kahles Scopes - 06/29/16
The reticule on my 2-7x36 Kahles does not turn pink like the 3-9 Swarovski does.

Both rifles shoot ok with them.

They are expensive.

The ocular on the Swarovski says "ASSEMBLED IN THE USA"

On the Kahles it says "Made in Austria"
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Kahles Scopes - 06/29/16

I have two, both are 3-9X42 TDS they work great.

Posted By: okierifleman Re: Kahles Scopes - 06/29/16
I have two K6-24's and they are awesome, track like a champ
Posted By: Hunt41Ram Re: Kahles Scopes - 06/29/16
I have five of them. Quality glass and never had a problem. I also have a pair of Kahles binoculars that I had a minor problem with. I sent them back for service and they came back repaired and cleaned. I thought it was excellent customer service. I sent them to the rep in Idaho and he took it from there. Quick turn around for having to go back to Austria.
Posted By: donsm70 Re: Kahles Scopes - 06/29/16
I have three and use them on my "go to" hunting rifles.

I have never had a need for customer service in the many years that I have owned them. Top shelf glass at a medium price point.

donsm70
Posted By: micky Re: Kahles Scopes - 06/29/16
I have a couple and really like them.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Kahles Scopes - 06/29/16
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Good glass. I understand they were owned by Swaro, heard they split and Swaro quit doing their U.S. CS. I'm not sure what the current status is.

The one I sent to Swaro was serviced just like one of their own products. An 8x56 looked like something was "growing" on the reticle. Swaro fixed it. The current owner says it's starting to do the same thing. I'm not sure what's causing that.

DF

Same family that owns Swaro had a family member that owned Kahles. I understand the guy died and Swaro took over the company on a temporary basis. They have moved into a new building and have a new distributor and repair center stateside.
Posted By: BobbyTomek Re: Kahles Scopes - 06/29/16
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I've used a number of Kahles scopes over the years and have nothing but praise for them. The recently produced (and -- unfortunately -- discontinued) KX series may very well be the best sub-$1K optic I've looked through or used. The resolution in that 3.5-10x50 was simply outstanding. But the KX was dumped in favor of the KX-i, a decision as perplexing as Zeiss eliminating the #4 reticle.

The 3-9x42 side-focus version is a gem as well and is one of the best pure hunting scopes around -- IF you can find one.

A few years ago, I used the 3-10x50 Helia C with #4-a reticle for a number of moonlight shots on hogs. Their 4-a is rather thin, but the terrific light transmission and ability to resolve detail in poor lighting made the shots against those dark targets possible.

Some real hogs there, Bobby... grin

DF
Posted By: WRO Re: Kahles Scopes - 06/29/16
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

Same family that owns Swaro had a family member that owned Kahles. I understand the guy died and Swaro took over the company on a temporary basis. They have moved into a new building and have a new distributor and repair center stateside.

KAHLES invented the riflescope as we know it today. In fact, they produced their first riflescope in 1898. But that�s only the beginning of a story steep in ongoing history of innovation and quality standards that has been pushing this industry to new levels for over 100 years. Some of the KAHLES benchmarks in history, innovation and quality standards have been:

� The world�s oldest riflescope manufacturer (1898)
� First riflescope with adjustable ballistic drop
compensation (patent 1904)
� First waterproof riflescope using O-Rings (1960)
� First multi-coated riflescope in series production(1972)
� Industry leading features including compactness, edge
resolution and wide field-of-view
� Digital illuminating glass etched reticles
� Adjustable Multiple Zero ballistic turrets
Each generation of the KAHLES family made their contribution to the KAHLES Company, the best in it�s time. This commitment to absolute quality and the constant search for inventive, yet at the same time user friendly solutions, has made KAHLES a leading optical manufacturer for more than a century. Today this dedication represents the company�s commitment to reliability, outstanding image quality and clean ergonomic design. KAHLES products are the best of their time and continue to set standards that others strive for.

HISTORY OF KAHLES

Kahles - A Synonym for Rifle Scopes
Since it is a fact that aiming over back and front sight produces a sharp image either of the target or of the aiming device but not of both, the first experiments directed to give hunters optical aiming aids go back to the early 17th century (target and aiming aid at the same level). Magnifying glasses and primitive predecessors of telescopic sights were attached to the weapons and even a kind of magnifying diopter was created. But all those attempts remained without success until around 1880, when August Fiedler (Stronsdorf), forestry commissioner of Prince Reuss, managed to build the first telescopic sight that really did work. Thereupon a number of constructions followed, among them some famous ones made by Kahles, an Austrian company located in Vienna.

One of these very early rifle scopes was sold under the fine- sounding name of "Telorar". It was manufactured by hand at the "Optical Manufactury" of a certain Karl Robert Kahles in 1898, and therefore we are completely justified in saying that Kahles is the world's oldest manufacturer of rifle scopes. It did not take long before the device became very well known among hunters everywhere and gained very best reputation.

After the sudden death of the founder of the company (in 1908 at the age of only 42) his widow Anna Maria, who was very popular with the employees, directed the company, which was then beginning to flourish, until her sons Karl and Ernst were old enough to take an active part in the business. They took on different areas of responsibility: Karl propelled the production of rifle scopes and made a great number of improvements. At the time Kahles also started to produce prismatic binoculars for use in hunting and sports. Ernst Kahles, on the other hand, directed the sales department in the sixth district of Vienna. He established the necessary business connections and also cared for the contacts to the authorities in charge.

In 1914 World War I stopped the peaceful advancement of the soundly evolved family business for a while and the "Optical Manufactury Karl Kahles" supplied sniper scopes and gun sights to the Royal and Imperial Army & Navy.

In the period between the World Wars, characterized by inflation and depression, the production of binoculars and rifle scopes for non-military purposes was resumed. Around 1930 Kahles brought out a very delicate but efficient scope. It was called "Mignon" and is still used by many hunters today.

Another dreadful war forced Kahles to manufacture optical devices for military use again. In the last days of the war, on February 19, 1945, the factory was completely destroyed in a bomb attack by the Allies and Karl Kahles met death.

Once again the company was reconstructed by a woman, Karl Kahles's widow Elasabeth, who was actively supported by her son Friedrich Kahles.

The legendary Helia 4
Taking into account the demand of those times the company started to produce lenses, but after a while they went back to concentrating on rifle scopes and brought out the well-known Helia 4, which had developed from the military line H 4x60.

Friedrich Kahles, who was highly talented in the field of technology and owned a number of patents, developed the lines of "Helia" and "Helia Super", which became known all over the world. The fact that these devices have stood up to the greatest strains when used under extreme conditions not only in Black Africa or at the Rain Forrests of South America but also in Alaska or the Northern provinces of Canada speak for their quality (after all as much as 65% of the production are exported to countries such as the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa). What is less known, however, is the fact that Friedrich Kahles has invented the variable rifle scope.

The ZF 69 (a successor type of ZF 58) was developed especially for the Steyr SSG 69. It complied with military specifications that are known to be very strict in Austria as well as anywhere.

Kahles in the Swarovski Group
Since there was no heir in the family to take over the company, Kahles was sold to Swarovski in 1974. When Friedreich Kahles died in 1977, Kahles became a branch of Swarovski Optiks. Since May 1989 Kahles Limited (GesmbH) has been an independent company within the Swarovski group.

But how can a rather small manufacturer be so successful? Quality has always been the basic principle at Kahles. Therefore all parts have been and are still manufactured at their own workshop. Nowadays many companies can no longer do that because of high costs. It is very common today to have parts produced in cheap-labor countries in order to lower costs. But not so at Kahles, where they want to prevent any endangerment of quality. Therefore they manufacture all parts which are crucial to the quality of the product themselves and
Thanks for that info, WRO.

Interesting stuff.

DF
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: Kahles Scopes - 06/29/16
Thanks for all this information. I have a Gen 3, K624i Skmr2 on my 6.5 x 55 Crusader, and like it a lot. Other tactile scopes have reviewed slightly better.

I was thinking of uprating my Win 70 300 WSM with a Zeiss 3-9x 40 scope. It sounds like Kahles Helia C or KXi may be a good replacement. I need to rescope the rifle and practice prior to mountain mule deer season.

The reviews I have read on Kahles vs Swarovski and Zeiss HT/Diavari seem to place the Kahles somewhere between these two scopes. The Zeiss has better resolution, less contrast and is a better low light scope. The Swarovski has better contrast and a better view, but not as good in low light conditions. The Kahles sounds like it is somewhere between Zeiss and Swarovski, and is not far behind Zeiss in the low light conditions.

Posted By: donsm70 Re: Kahles Scopes - 06/29/16
Thanks WRO,

I knew some of that, but you have provided some additional, very interesting, information.

I have had Swarovski, Schmidt & Bender, and Nightforce, but all have gone down the road in favor of Kahles.

donsm70
Originally Posted by Old Ornery
Thanks for all this information. I have a Gen 3, K624i Skmr2 on my 6.5 x 55 Crusader, and like it a lot. Other tactile scopes have reviewed slightly better.

I was thinking of uprating my Win 70 300 WSM with a Zeiss 3-9x 40 scope. It sounds like Kahles Helia C or KXi may be a good replacement. I need to rescope the rifle and practice prior to mountain mule deer season.

The reviews I have read on Kahles vs Swarovski and Zeiss HT/Diavari seem to place the Kahles somewhere between these two scopes. The Zeiss has better resolution, less contrast and is a better low light scope. The Swarovski has better contrast and a better view, but not as good in low light conditions. The Kahles sounds like it is somewhere between Zeiss and Swarovski, and is not far behind Zeiss in the low light conditions.

There was a table published a few years ago on another site and they rated the Kahles CL as one of the top scopes in the world
Posted By: 7025Jack Re: Kahles Scopes - 06/29/16

[/quote]

There was a table published a few years ago on another site and they rated the Kahles CL as one of the top scopes in the world [/quote]

Yep.....not to be seconded guessed.

In 3-9 my favorite hands down, bar none.
Originally Posted by 7025Jack

There was a table published a few years ago on another site and they rated the Kahles CL as one of the top scopes in the world [/quote]

Yep.....not to be seconded guessed.

In 3-9 my favorite hands down, bar none. [/quote]

It was on opticstalk, I cannot find the darn thing but it was eye opening.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Kahles Scopes - 06/29/16
Fun story on durability...

http://www.opticstalk.com/kahles-scope-found-27-years-later_topic728.html

TECHNICALLY IN PERFECT CONDITION

(August 24, 2004) - A professional hunter in Southern Austria inadvertently performed the longest, most realistic, environmental test on a riflescope in history. A Kahles Helia 6x42 riflescope, lost in the high mountain region of the Austrian Alps in the late 70s was recently found in technically perfect working condition.

Back in September 1977 on a Chamois stalk, a Jaegermeister (Professional Hunter) from Southern Austrian Carinthia climbed to the top of "Kometeralpe", a 2,500-meter picturesque mountain. After shooting a Chamois with his Mannlicher Luxus 6.5x57 topped with a Kahles Helia 6x42 riflescope, the PH rested his firearm against a boulder and ascended to where the game was taken. After field dressing his animal he returned to the spot where he believed he had left the rifle. Unfortunately the PH had to spend the entire afternoon searching for his gear, however it was not found. In the ensuing days and weeks, he regularly returned to the area searching for his rifle, but was unsuccessful finding it.

Weeks, months, years, and decades passed. High above the timberline, rifle and scope rested upright against the boulder � being abused by the harsh elements of nature at this high elevation. Summer heat and dust, followed by strong storms, heavy showers of ice and snow tested the durability of the scope and rifle.

Almost three decades later, Hannes, a young Jaegermeister from Obervellach, a small village in the Austrian Alps, ascended the same mountain "Kometeralpe" stalking a Chamois. After making a good shot, Hannes proceeded down the slope to the Chamois.

To his amazement, next to the Chamois, just barely visible, leaning against a gray stone boulder, was an old rifle. The rifles stock was rotten and bleached by the elements, and all of the steel parts were rusted throughout � a sad resemblance of what used to be a hunter�s pride. The firearm itself was in poor, unusable condition, however, when Hannes looked through the Kahles scope he couldn�t believe his eyes: the image quality was like that of his new modern riflescope, with the crosshair standing out crisp and clear against a sharp, brilliant and extremely bright image. The steel surfaces were rusty, yet all of the aluminum parts were unharmed. The mechanical parts, including both elevation and windage still worked perfectly and even after all those years in the most extreme of elements, the Kahles riflescope remained waterproof.
Posted By: LJB3 Re: Kahles Scopes - 06/30/16
I have a Helia 5 1.6-8x42 on my .338 and love it. I had a 4-12x52 with multizero too at one time, I should have kept that one.
Posted By: Draftmule Re: Kahles Scopes - 07/01/16
NORTHMAN -

Where did you purchase 6 x 42 and did they have all
euro reticle choices?
I have been useing Schmidt Bender 6 x 42 but are sooo
spendy nowadays for fixed.
Thanks!
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Kahles Scopes - 07/01/16
My first real good scope was a Kahles 3-12x56 with a steel tube, hasbeen
Posted By: Northman Re: Kahles Scopes - 07/01/16
Draftmule: I found this company in England, who still sells new ones.

http://www.mccloys.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=helia+c

I purchased mine used from Austria.
Posted By: davidlea Re: Kahles Scopes - 07/01/16
Great scopes, I have three Helia CL's. Sold a lot of scopes but kept the Kahles. The one in the pic below is a 3-9x42 MZ on a Rem AWR .338WM.
Posted By: Huntz Re: Kahles Scopes - 07/02/16
I have had three Kahles.They are great scopes.The only problem I had with every one was the windage and elevation adjustments were not 1/4" at 100 yards.They ranged from 1/3 inch to 1 inch and were hard to zero in .Once zeroed they were locked in like a bank vault.
Posted By: Draftmule Re: Kahles Scopes - 07/02/16
Northman ~
Thankyou!
Posted By: WiFowler Re: Kahles Scopes - 07/05/16
FYI, effective Jan 1, 2017, Swarovski will once again resume marketing and sale for Kahles scopes.

SONA to Handle Kahles

Posted By: Farmboy1 Re: Kahles Scopes - 07/05/16
Originally Posted by WiFowler
FYI, effective Jan 1, 2017, Swarovski will once again resume marketing and sale for Kahles scopes.

SONA to Handle Kahles

That is good news for sure. Thanks for posting that,
first I've seen that story.
Posted By: donsm70 Re: Kahles Scopes - 07/05/16
Great news. Great scopes.

donsm70
© 24hourcampfire