Home
Posted By: RAAK Swarovski Z3 Reticle Choice - 07/20/16
I need some advice on what reticle to choose in the Z3 line that is most visible in low light (30 min before sunrise/after sunset). The gun is a Kimber Adirondack 308. Thanks for your help.
I* like the #4 reticle they offer for strictly lowlight . If you want something that will work at LR and stand out in lowlight then the BRH is another alternative.
4a/4A in a Z3 3-9x36, or 3-10x42. Either would fit your application.
Posted By: RAAK Re: Swarovski Z3 Reticle Choice - 07/20/16
I have called Swarovski and they don't offer the #4 in the Z3. Just the 4a. Thanks for the replies.
Originally Posted by RAAK
I have called Swarovski and they don't offer the #4 in the Z3. Just the 4a. Thanks for the replies.

Yeah its a 4A
I don't really need the ballistic reticle but if it is easier to see than the 4A I could get use to it. Has anyone compared these two? BRH vs 4A.
4a, love it
10-4 handwerk I hope to find one to look through this weekend. Swaros are pretty scarce around here.
I don't really need the ballistic reticle but if it is easier to see than the 4A I could get use to it. Has anyone compared these two? BRH vs 4A.

I favor the 4a over the BRH especially for lowlight conditions
Posted By: Mull Re: Swarovski Z3 Reticle Choice - 07/21/16
Nothing Beats The 4A For Me.And I've Have-Had Them All.My Main Go To Rifle Wears a 3-10-42 With a 4a. Can Shoot Way Past Legal Light..
Posted By: RAAK Re: Swarovski Z3 Reticle Choice - 07/21/16
I hope to find that exact scope this weekend Mull. Thanks.
Mine has the plex and its killed a bunch of critters. I've never found it hard to use in low light as I often read here.
Posted By: RAAK Re: Swarovski Z3 Reticle Choice - 07/22/16
Ive read all about Swaros thin reticles. It is the perfect scope for my rifle but I was/am worried about it. I've about decided to just order one and find out for myself.
Ive read all about Swaros thin reticles. It is the perfect scope for my rifle but I was/am worried about it. I've about decided to just order one and find out for myself.

I don't think you'd regret it. Mines been a dependable hunting scope and easy to get behind.

Were the thin reticles you refer to in the Z6 series? TheZ6 did have some uber-thin reticles. That changed three or four years ago. While still thin, they are not nearly the wispy thin reticle that they used to be.
Posted By: RAAK Re: Swarovski Z3 Reticle Choice - 07/25/16
I had read about the thin Z3 reticles too. Maybe it was the plex and the brx that I had read were too thin. I didn't find one with the 4a this weekend to look at. It's pretty tough to pick out the facts from bulls$@t on the Internet.

I have a Z3 3-10x42 with a 4A reticle. Perfect scope and reticle for hunting in low light in Alabama during legal shooting times.
Originally Posted by ruraldoc

I have a Z3 3-10x42 with a 4A reticle. Perfect scope and reticle for hunting in low light in Alabama during legal shooting times.

I have used the Plex, 4A and BRH on lowlight deer in Alabama all in a few 4-12x50 or the 3-10x42 with no issues. I can't believe that Marks Outdoors, BassPro or Field and Stream does not have one or the other in stock. Only way you are going to find out if it works for you is to buy one and try it out. They are easy enough to sell on the used market.

4 or 4A is my favorite by far either in the Swaro or a Meopta r1. This year I will be bringing along a Zeiss Conquest DL with a #6 reticle .
I have both the 4A and the BRH. The 4A is better by far in low light situations. The BRH really helps out West in wide open country. Great glass in both.

Good Luck with the decision.
Posted By: cdb Re: Swarovski Z3 Reticle Choice - 07/25/16
4A for me. I have German #4's on Meopta, Zeiss and Leupold scopes.
Posted By: RAAK Re: Swarovski Z3 Reticle Choice - 07/25/16
I called Marks and they didn't have one. I'm going to order one here soon. I thought about a Schmidt fixed power or a FX3 6x42 but I think the Swarovski is going to be just right. I'm glad some Alabama boys came in because they know what I'm talking about. The last 5 min on Jan 31st (now Feb 10) is why you put a good scope on your gun.
Posted By: 163dm Re: Swarovski Z3 Reticle Choice - 07/26/16
RAAK,
You might try talking to CameralandNY. SEE if they will let you order both reticles to review and return one undamaged of course.

On a side note if you are in the north alabama region I would be happy to let you look at a Swarovski with the older #4 reticle.

DM

Yep,

Be glad to let him look at my scopes if he is in SW Alabama.
Posted By: RAAK Re: Swarovski Z3 Reticle Choice - 07/26/16
I live in Collinsville but I work in Fort Payne. I will call cameraland and see about that. I've heard lots of good things about them.
You can't beat the people at Cameraland. The best in the buisness.
Posted By: RAAK Re: Swarovski Z3 Reticle Choice - 07/27/16
So now another question. Do you think the 50mm Z3 is too big for this rifle. I understand exit pupil and am definitely putting a 1" tube on it but now my decision is between the 42mm and 50mm. I don't think the 50 will fit with Talley lows but I may need mediums to not be able to see the suppressor in the scope.
Posted By: Huntz Re: Swarovski Z3 Reticle Choice - 07/31/16
So now another question. Do you think the 50mm Z3 is too big for this rifle. I understand exit pupil and am definitely putting a 1" tube on it but now my decision is between the 42mm and 50mm. I don't think the 50 will fit with Talley lows but I may need mediums to not be able to see the suppressor in the scope.

Why 50MM?To me all it does is make the scope look big and clunky.I personally think the handling characteristics of a rifle are changed by a scope with a big clunky bell.It may not matter if you sit on a stand,but for actually stalking and hiking you can`t beat a smaller bell.Another thing is I do not believe you get much more shooting time if any from the big bell scopes.JMHO but you have to get what trips your trigger.Huntz
Originally Posted by Huntz

Why 50MM?To me all it does is make the scope look big and clunky.I personally think the handling characteristics of a rifle are changed by a scope with a big clunky bell.It may not matter if you sit on a stand,but for actually stalking and hiking you can`t beat a smaller bell.Another thing is I do not believe you get much more shooting time if any from the big bell scopes.JMHO but you have to get what trips your trigger.Huntz

A swarovski Z3 1" tube scope may be a lot of things but clunky. It weighs less then 15 oz and it has one of the sleekest objectives of any 50 mm scope with only the Kahles models rivaling it .
I have the standard plex in mine and find it about right for everything. Both long range and close works great. Even with the 50mm objective it is a pretty slender scope and looks great on my ULA .260

Lefty C
Posted By: RAAK Re: Swarovski Z3 Reticle Choice - 08/02/16
We hunt out of stands most of the time. We do some man drives from time to time though. Leupold 50mm scopes are the standard at our club. I just wanted something better. It's all on hold now though bc I shot it one time after my form 4 came back and the bolt was so tight I could hardly chamber a round. I shot it one time just to hear the suppressor and it's back at Kimber now to get fixed. I hope that after this it's a good rifle bc if it's not it will be sold for something else. The finish is great but the bolt is not smooth at all and very tight chambering a round. I hope I didn't make a $1500 Kimber mistake. When it comes back I hope I can order both from cameraland and see if the 50mm is too big or just right. Thanks for your replies.
© 24hourcampfire