Home
Should the large nuts on Weaver rings be on the action side or the offside? Does it even matter?
It doesn't matter, but i place them on the opposite side of the bolt handle- ejection port.
^^^^^^^^
I always put them on the right side.
I've only used them on pumps and levers. On a bolt it seems like they could interfere with the loading/ejection port.
I've always put the thumb-knobs on the ejection port side.

As a right-hander, I sling my rifle on my right shoulder. When being carried slung the knobs won't rub/loosen. Makes sense to me.

[Linked Image]

Apparently Finn Aagaard thought the same way, likely for the same reason.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by moosemike
I've only used them on pumps and levers. On a bolt it seems like they could interfere with the loading/ejection port.

How so?
I haven't seen that, but a friend had a BAR .270 that sometimes jammed during ejection. Turned out an occasional case hit the thumb-screw on the front Weaver ring on the way out, keeping the empty from fully ejecting. Reversing the rings solved the problem.
Barring an ejection problem, intuitively right handers will put any screwed down device on the right side.
Similar application would be made with any "quick release" system too.
one on each side, usually the front on the right, the rear on the left, viewed from rear.

Opposing forces have the force with me............
When I've used those rings I've always mounted them with the thumbwheels on the l/h side just because the bolt side looks a bit too "busy" otherwise.
My thoughts exactly on bolt guns. Plus; my Marlin levergun also has them on the left side, not that it would make much difference other than just looks.
Originally Posted by TBS
It doesn't matter, but i place them on the opposite side of the bolt handle- ejection port.

+1
When mounting a scope in Talley quick release rings I had the same question so I called them. They told me it didn't matter which side the levers went on but most chose to put them on the left side if right handed (side opposite ejection port). They said they'd work fine either way though.

Not weavers I know, but the same concept.
Originally Posted by Brad

How so?

I'm sure it's nothing to worry about. I just overthink everything. :-)
If you cary a rifle on your shoulder via a sling you put knobs,bolts,levers,ammo ect on the outside as to not abraid, snag or dig into your body.

Use this thought for scope attachments
A more reasonable question would probably be how does one manage to keep those Weaver top straps from scratching the scope when you snap them on?
Spread 'em with dowels, shanks of drill bits, anything that will fit the thru-holes.
A more reasonable question would probably be how does one manage to keep those Weaver top straps from scratching the scope when you snap them on?

Dremel-off smooth the indents on the inside of the top straps where the screws holes are... mount in rubber cement.
Always mount left-side away from the ejection port for me. I don't want anything extra in the way of loading/unloading.

I've never felt them dig my shoulder or come loose from rubbing while slung.

Put a strip of paper in the ring before snapping over. Slide it out after snapping over.
Originally Posted by mathman

Put a strip of paper in the ring before snapping over. Slide it out after snapping over.

I like that!

Works like a charm.
I always put them on the right side because that's how they were in the magazine ads.

Leupold QRWs are mounted with the levers on the left because they hang out so much. They catch everything, pretty much, so my next set will be the PRWs.

Yep! Same for Leupold PRW and QRW rings. Thin, glossy business cards, etc work well - slick and tougher than plain paper.
A dollar bill works really well, they are made from a very tough paper, have used that trick for years.

drover
Originally Posted by drover
A dollar bill works really well, they are made from a very tough paper, have used that trick for years.

drover

I use a fifty... has more built in redundancy.

grin

Pure genius.
Originally Posted by drover
drover

Been doing this for years now.
But...

Can you use a debit card if you don't carry cash???
Originally Posted by johnw
But...

Can you use a debit card if you don't carry cash???

grin
According to Hoyle the screws should be on the left north of the equator and on the right south of the equator.
Always put them on the right side on my leverguns. Functionally no difference, but they seem to look right on the right side.
© 24hourcampfire