Home

[Linked Image]
I ran out of elevation on the dial. I'm zeroed in at 100 yards but I want to be a couple inches high.
Looks like your already almost a couple inches high. whistle
I figured you wouldn't have anything helpful to add.
You can put a shim made of aluminum beer can on the bottom of the rear ring. That should get you there.
It's really hard to see much detail in the photo.

Sometimes swapping the rings between front and rear will help because of slight dimensional differences between them. If they're cheap rings, you might try something of a little higher quality. Burris Zees are good on Weaver-style mounts, and when there are issues with receiver dimensions Signature Zees with offset inserts can be very effective.
Originally Posted by moosemike

You shoot from the hip with that set-up?
Originally Posted by Terryk
You can put a shim made of aluminum beer can on the bottom of the rear ring. That should get you there.

Is it better to shim the bottom of the rear ring or the bottom of the rear base?

Captain obvious regularly misses the obvious.

Is it better to shim the bottom of the rear ring or the bottom of the rear base?

Shim the base
Originally Posted by 338rcm

Shim the base

Thanks.
Originally Posted by SLM

Yeah I could slam the front bell down on the barrel. Then I'd need to remove the rear sight and I couldn't get a cleaning rag between the barrel and bell. Not what I'm looking for. In my early days I hunted see throughs on my '06 and I never ran out of elevation so I don't see that should be a problem.
That scope is mounted really high, I don't use anything but Talley two piece mounts. Rifle looks like a Husqvarna.
It is a Husqvarna. That scope has a really big bell on it. My 40mm Butler Creeks don't fit it.
Looks like maybe a 50mm objective scope, no more than
a medium mount may be needed.

Give it another try, I have just mounted a scope and
may change my mounts to get them further back.

It takes some trial and error.

I've got a Mauser that was drilled properly but not machined perfectly and the front base is too low.

Solution, Burris rings, link here

I needed the offset inserts (shown on the right side)as well, for another $15 but the bases are tight, the rings are fine, and the offset is in the inserts.
Have you had another scope on the rifle or is the rifle new to you? That looks like an older scope. Did you install the bases or were they already installed? Need more details.
Originally Posted by cdb
Have you had another scope on the rifle or is the rifle new to you? That looks like an older scope. Did you install the bases or were they already installed? Need more details.

I just bought the gun and this is how it came. I have options. The scope that is on it is a VX-II 3-9x50? ( I can't tell a 40 from a 50) but I also have an M8 4x28, an M8 6x36, and a VX-II 2-7x28. But there aren't much in the way of choices with bases for a Husqvarna.
The easiest thing to do is make sure the screws are snug and try a different scope. As previously mentioned the receiver might not be level, I see it fairly often. If you try another scope and have the same issue then I would reverse the bases as has been recommended. If that doesn't work then I would shim. I personally will not shim a two piece base, only a one piece.
That depends. If the reason he's running out of adjustment is improper receiver dimensions, then shimming the correct end of the two piece should be bringing things into alignment, not out.
That could be determined by the little pointy-rod things.

I do agree on shimming the one piece is less likely to cause issues, but if you can verify the alignment of a two-piece, I'd shim it.
Originally Posted by SLM

Yeah I could slam the front bell down on the barrel. Then I'd need to remove the rear sight and I couldn't get a cleaning rag between the barrel and bell. Not what I'm looking for. In my early days I hunted see throughs on my '06 and I never ran out of elevation so I don't see that should be a problem.

It don't have to be that high to clean it. I suggest getting a set of the Burris signature Zee rings with a shim kit.They use plastic bushings inside the rings to get the elevation you need.
I shimmed it with soda can. We'll see this weekend.
When I shot it last time I also mounted my M8 4x in low rings and had absolutely no trouble sighting that in. So if I have any further issues I may just go that route.
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

I do agree on shimming the one piece is less likely to cause issues, but if you can verify the alignment of a two-piece, I'd shim it.

One of our .com friends suggested to do the pointed rods correctly one should use the flat ends together. It makes very good sense if you give it much thought.
I have a couple sets of NOS one piece bases for Husqvarna, PM me if you want a set.

***Edit***
I was mis-remembering the Warne bases, he had Nula 28 bases stashed away.
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

One of our .com friends suggested to do the pointed rods correctly one should use the flat ends together. It makes very good sense if you give it much thought.

I've used them that way. Works good.
Take the fricken rear sight off and trade your scope for one with a 40MM Bell.
Small ring mauser bases should fit that husqvarna just fine...I prefer Talley ultralights.
Originally Posted by mathman
That depends. If the reason he's running out of adjustment is improper receiver dimensions, then shimming the correct end of the two piece should be bringing things into alignment, not out.

The reason I won't shim two piece bases is it stresses the scope tube. Shimming a one piece base does not.

He actually did though bud. You're mounts are way high. Get them down so the objective is nearly touching the barrel.

If you're set on that set-up, are your bases tight? Rings tight? Are you 100% sure there is nothing wrong with the scope?

Originally Posted by cdb
Originally Posted by mathman

The reason I won't shim two piece bases is it stresses the scope tube. Shimming a one piece base does not.

I don't think you understand his post.

He actually did though bud. You're mounts are way high. Get them down so the objective is nearly touching the barrel.

If you're set on that set-up, are your bases tight? Rings tight? Are you 100% sure there is nothing wrong with the scope?

Maybe the guy likes his scope up like I like mine. It fits my eye when I through it up to my shoulder. Coincidentally it allows me to carry it in the manner displayed in the photo.

[Linked Image]

Maybe the guy likes his scope up like I like mine.

Mike, there's your sign. laugh
Lol yep
Originally Posted by SKane

Maybe the guy likes his scope up like I like mine.

Mike, there's your sign. laugh

LOL! But I have to say Ringworm is right. A high scope lines up perfect for me. I grew up with Ironsighter see through mounts and I made a reputation for myself as a fine shot. As a teen I was outshooting all my friends and many of my peers with a Remington 760 and see through mounts. Maybe that's why a higher scope feels right to me or maybe they just always did.
mebbe you should harken back to the days of yore and slap some see-thrus on 'er. And regain that long-lost rep as a damn fine shot. Chin welds rock!
Chin music??
© 24hourcampfire