Home
Posted By: earlybrd Nikon opinion - 10/17/16
Whats the opinion on Nikon scopes
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Nikon opinion - 10/17/16
My Monarch 3 was a pretty serviceable scope, but Nikon CS was abysmal. It went down the road.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Nikon opinion - 10/17/16
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Agree with that.

I used to work for the LGS and sent in a number of Nikon products for customers. Their CS sucked donkey balls, and their warranty was worthless.

Thats been awhile, they may have changed, but its hard to get a leopard to change its spots..
Posted By: Ringman Re: Nikon opinion - 10/17/16
I have several scopes. The Monarch 3 5-20X44 is almost as good as the Bushnell 6500 and Leupold VX-6. But the one I will stick with is the Bushnell because it has hydrophobic lens coating. The Nikon above is for sale now after one season of hunting.
Posted By: TATELAW Re: Nikon opinion - 10/17/16
The older Monarch UCC line is one of my favorite bang-for-the-buck scope lines. The 3-9x40s can be found in the $175 range. I'm not as wild about the newer versions.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Nikon opinion - 10/17/16
I got a Nikon M-223 1-4 to top one of my ar's with. It's an ok scope, but I'd rather have a SWFA SS.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Nikon opinion - 10/17/16
I been using tasco Simmons and Bushnell got a 4-12 buck master for my 270 thought it would be an upgrade for low light
Posted By: TATELAW Re: Nikon opinion - 10/17/16
Originally Posted by earlybrd
I been using tasco Simmons and Bushnell got a 4-12 buck master for my 270 thought it would be an upgrade for low light

Depends on what model scopes you've been using. All manufacturers make low, medium, and high end scopes. Tasco gets a bad rap, but their EuroClass and Titan lines from many years ago were great Japanese optics. Bushnell's Elite models are excellent. The lower level models sold at Wal-Mart are mediocre at best.

Up until a few years ago, the Buckmasters line was Nikon's mid-level offering. Prostaff was below, Monarch above. The Buckmasters II line is now Nikon's budget level scope. It will be significantly better that the budget level scopes of the brands you mentioned, but not as good as some of the upper level models, especially the Bushnell Elite scopes.
Posted By: cdb Re: Nikon opinion - 10/17/16
I see better out of some other brands in the same price class.
Posted By: bryguy Re: Nikon opinion - 10/18/16
Originally Posted by cdb

I just picked up 2 of the Prostaff 7s and they were better the then the Vortex Viper HST and HS LR I had originally decided to throw on a couple of savage 308s I bought. I have a regular prostaff on my 220 slug gun and it works fine and has held up to the recoil and is dead nuts on every time I check it. The tracking on the ones I have is pretty damn good.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Nikon opinion - 10/18/16
I was a big user of Nikon scopes until I learned how anti-gun Nikon Corp is. The Sport Optics division is treated like a step child. All my Nikon scopes went down the road.
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: Nikon opinion - 10/18/16
Originally Posted by ingwe
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Agree with that.

I used to work for the LGS and sent in a number of Nikon products for customers. Their CS sucked donkey balls, and their warranty was worthless.

Thats been awhile, they may have changed, but its hard to get a leopard to change its spots..

i have acquired several nikon scopes over the years from various trades. two where pre Monarch models the other was a Monarch model. the older two had tracking issues and i called Nikon's CS about them. i told them how i got them and that they had no papers, it didn't matter the guy said. he told me to just send them in. i did and within a couple of weeks they sent me brand new Monarch replacements. on the Monarch model i had there was a dent in the tube at the transition of the Objective bell to the tube. again i explained i was not the original owner and that it is obviously not a mfr defect. again Nikon told me it doesn't matter, send it in. once again in a couple weeks they sent me a brand new scope. all of this has been over the last few years so in answer to your post it seems they have changed for the better. i do know that their warranty on any of their electronic optic devices (range finders and such) is a whole different story.
Posted By: KentuckyMountainMan Re: Nikon opinion - 10/19/16
I send in an old beat to Hell pre Monarch 3x9x40 I picked up on trade...They send me a new Monarch 3 side focus no questions ask....Great customer service.
Posted By: Dre Re: Nikon opinion - 10/20/16
I think heir CS has improved.
I really like my monarch and pro staff scopes. For the money The pro staffs are hard to beat when they are on specials/sale..
Posted By: cdb Re: Nikon opinion - 10/20/16
Originally Posted by bryguy
Originally Posted by cdb

I just picked up 2 of the Prostaff 7s and they were better the then the Vortex Viper HST and HS LR I had originally decided to throw on a couple of savage 308s I bought. I have a regular prostaff on my 220 slug gun and it works fine and has held up to the recoil and is dead nuts on every time I check it. The tracking on the ones I have is pretty damn good.

Not trying to be a jerk but would like to know what your point is?
Posted By: bryguy Re: Nikon opinion - 10/20/16
Originally Posted by cdb
Originally Posted by cdb

the point was that I am the same as you.....I have heard people rave about the Vortex vipers in the HS line so I bought a couple and found they were not a scope for me.......but the Nikon Prostaffs TO MY eyes are good glass and work well. Optics are a personal thing and that is why I always try to put my hands on a scope or Binoc before I buy it......so I can see for myself how it works for me.
Posted By: Ringman Re: Nikon opinion - 10/20/16
bryguy,

I agree with you. So far I have not seen a Vortex I would buy.
Posted By: sbhooper Re: Nikon opinion - 10/20/16
I have an older Buckmaster that has been a great scope. I don't like the company image, for sure, and I really dislike their attempt at a bullet drop reticle. The circles suck.

The glass seems pretty good, though.
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Nikon opinion - 10/20/16
Glad to hear their CS has improved. I had a horrible experience with them about 10 years ago with a scope I bought new.

That being said I like their Monarch and Prostaff lines for good glass at their respective price points.
Posted By: cdb Re: Nikon opinion - 10/20/16
Originally Posted by cdb
Originally Posted by cdb

the point was that I am the same as you.....I have heard people rave about the Vortex vipers in the HS line so I bought a couple and found they were not a scope for me.......but the Nikon Prostaffs TO MY eyes are good glass and work well. Optics are a personal thing and that is why I always try to put my hands on a scope or Binoc before I buy it......so I can see for myself how it works for me.

I understand now. It looked in print like I was being a jerk but I really wasn't trying to be, just needed some clarification.
Posted By: bryguy Re: Nikon opinion - 10/20/16
Originally Posted by cdb
Originally Posted by cdb
Originally Posted by cdb

I understand now. It looked in print like I was being a jerk but I really wasn't trying to be, just needed some clarification.

No worries
Posted By: cdb Re: Nikon opinion - 10/21/16
Thanks.
Posted By: bryguy Re: Nikon opinion - 10/21/16
Originally Posted by cdb
Thanks.

I have ben around the 'fire enough to know you gotta have a pretty thick skin and not try to read to much into anything said. That is not directed at you, just in general at what I see around here.
Posted By: Folically_Challenged Re: Nikon opinion - 10/21/16
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Whats the opinion on Nikon scopes

"Opinions are like [rectal cavities]..." But, since you asked:

I've always thought the ProStaff scopes were great bargains - I felt I got an awful lot for what I spent. I'm actually sorely tempted by an offering in the classifieds right now.

With the Buckmasters line, it was less so. I could abide them if I got a really good deal on a used one, but I'd not buy a new one.

I've never kept a Monarch, feeling that there was virtually no return for the money spent above a Buckmasters. New or used, I've not been impressed.

FWIW, I've never needed to interact with their CS people.

... and that's all I have to say about that...

FC
© 24hourcampfire