Home
Posted By: Fotis Scope for a buddy? Your picks - 10/19/16
Ok so my buddy just inherited a 300 Weatherby and he needs to scope it.

He has $300 at his disposal for a scope.

Can you recommend a decent scope for this rifle? He is concerned with durability and tracking.

Thank you guys
Which model?
Wait for a 3-9x40 Conquest to show up in the Classifieds
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Which model?

Mark V deluxe.
It's a used rifle. Put a used Bushnell 4-16X40.
$300. Durability. Tracking. That sounds like a SWFA SS 6x MQ to me.
6 power only on a 300 bee?
Fotis: A used Leupold 3.5x10 (with A/O if possible!) would be about perfect for that Hunting Rifle.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
New Leupold VX2 3 X 9.
Bushnell 3500. Added plus is the RainGuard feature. Or a Weaver SuperSlam.
Tasco world class...
If he can push his budget by 50 more dollars I think he could get a hell of a deal from cameraland NY the Meopta 3.5-10x44 is a $5-600 with GREAT OPTICS for $350.

If not a VX2 Leupold or bushnell 3500/4200 would be nice.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Tasco world class...

Thanks man! frown
Thought I had a pic of mine but can't find it.

It has a Vari-XIII 3.5-10x40 on it. Gloss. Buehler rings......
Originally Posted by Fotis
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Tasco world class...

Thanks man! frown

Well to be honest, I was thinking of my buddies. laugh . They get what they deserve laugh ... For your buddy, I'd think more along the lines of a Bushnell elite 4200 3-9x40 or 2.5-10x40, Nikon monarch 2.5-10x42 or 3-12x42. How well do you like your buddy and how close to Beaverton do you live? If you lived really close, I'd suggest a Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40. I liked that scope A LOT, until it puked on me... sick Oh wait, you are only wanting to pay $300.00. Toss the Leupold idea and throw in Zeiss conquest 3-9x40 (used) and Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle. I've also been trying out a few Zeiss Terra 3-9x42's with the RZ600 reticle. They are actually pretty damn good scopes for the money. That about covers it (in that price range) for me..

Yes.
If he can afford to shoot a 300 Weatherby,he can afford more than $300 for a scope.LOL Seriously though,no need to spend an incredible amount but the $400-$500 range would open him up top some better optics.

For a set $300 the best I might think of is a used 3200 or 4200 Bushnell other than the SWFA 6X already mentioned.
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

This...
Or a 10x...
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
If he can afford to shoot a 300 Weatherby,he can afford more than $300 for a scope.

Yep
I have Deluxe in 300 weatherby. I originally had a swaro AV 2.5-10x40.
I now have a VX3 3.5-10x40 on it. Happy with either. I think the deluxe is a somewhat heavy but nice handling balanced rifle. I didnt want to overwhelm it with a heavy scope. I put a few 50s on it just to experiement and i found the 40s more to my liking. I would stay light. So I guess for his budget I would say VX2 3-9x40 or a used VX3 or VX3i 3.5-10x40.
Cabela's Bargain Cave has the Meopta made 3-9x40 instinct for $274 right now but I'd say spend $374 for the 4.5-14 model on a 300 Bee.

I'm sure a VX2 or some of the other suggestions here would be fine. I'm not a Bushnell fan on a hard kicking rifle.
Posted By: TBS Re: Scope for a buddy? Your picks - 10/20/16
One with 4" of eye relief.
Posted By: AMRA Re: Scope for a buddy? Your picks - 10/20/16
LEUPOLD FX-3 6x42
Posted By: Dre Re: Scope for a buddy? Your picks - 10/20/16
I'd say a monarch in 3-12 or a VX 2 or better. Stay away from entry level vortex.
Keep an eye out on the fire classifieds. Some steals once in a while.
Skip the bdc and learn to use the turret or some leupolds comes with CDS

Is he hunting elk or prairie dogs?
The 'tracking' is the difficult part in a $300 scope. Lots of $300 hunting scopes are durable, not very many are known for reliable tracking. The fixed power SS's are one of the few, as I'm sure you know.
I have to think if you are concerned about "tracking" with a 300 Weatherby you are planning to shoot well past 500 yards. Holding on hair easily gets you to 400 yards. Lots of folks here are capable of those extended range shots on game but not many plan to do it with $300 scopes .......of course knowing your rifle and scope performance through lots of practice is more important than the scope itself and twisting turrets doesn't have to be part of that. If it does I'd think the SS from SWFA does get you the best bang for the buck.

I've never made a scope adjustment in the field with my 300 Weatherby but I use a Z800 reticle that matches my load perfectly. From field positions 600 yard shots at elk vitals size targets are fairly routine. My 7 mag with the Z600 is just as good and both are much faster than turning a turret. The Terra is probably available in that price range bot other long range reticles work too if you plan to stretch it out.

$300 will get you a Weaver Super Slam 2-10x42 from Natchez...ought to fill the bill quite nicely.
http://www.eurooptic.com/zeiss-conq...-black-demo-grade-2-small-blemishes.aspx

Buy a used Sightron Big Sky. They share the same erector as the S3. My sample size of a 3-10, 3-12, and a 4-16 is small but they're a tremendous value IMO. I'm constantly looking for used ones at good prices.

This is a screaming deal. I may buy one of these just to have as a backup.
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
I have Deluxe in 300 weatherby. I originally had a swaro AV 2.5-10x40.
I now have a VX3 3.5-10x40 on it. Happy with either. I think the deluxe is a somewhat heavy but nice handling balanced rifle. I didnt want to overwhelm it with a heavy scope. I put a few 50s on it just to experiement and i found the 40s more to my liking. I would stay light. So I guess for his budget I would say VX2 3-9x40 or a used VX3 or VX3i 3.5-10x40.

Makes sense to me....
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Agreed.
© 24hourcampfire