Home
Posted By: Terryk 32 mm nightforce nsx? - 12/02/16
I was thinking of getting a 2.5-10 NSX. Beside the money, any reasons against one? I wanted it for a walking deer rifle. I have lighter rifles, so the weight is not a deal breaker.
Posted By: Hondo64d Re: 32 mm nightforce nsx? - 12/02/16
I'd go with the 42mm

John
Posted By: VaHunter Re: 32 mm nightforce nsx? - 12/02/16
I ordered my 2nd Nightforce NXS 2.5-10 today, so I guess I don't see any reason not to get one.

Mine, the existing one and the new order, are both 42mm objectives though. Since the 32mm and the 42mm are within an ounce of each other and only a few dollars separate them I went with the larger objective.

Caution, the 42mm objective model has only 5.1" of mounting tube which could be a problem on a long action. I will be using a rail on my long actions with this scope.
Posted By: aalf Re: 32 mm nightforce nsx? - 12/02/16
Originally Posted by Terryk
I was thinking of getting a 2.5-10 NSX. Beside the money, any reasons against one? I wanted it for a walking deer rifle. I have lighter rifles, so the weight is not a deal breaker.

I prefer the 32mm. Smaller profile, and more user friendly illumination knob. Lack of side focus is not an issue either, especially for a walking deer gun, plus it'll gather all the light you'll need for any legal hunting hours.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: 32 mm nightforce nsx? - 12/03/16
I use the 32mm and 42mm. I really like both and don't find the 32 lacking for my needs. I too like the simpler illumination on the 32.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: 32 mm nightforce nsx? - 12/04/16
its a good scope but you might be better off with a #4 or duplex reticle. I don't know how the turrets and fine reticle would help you for woods hunting. For across a bean field its a great scope. I have the 2.5-10x42/MOAR.
Posted By: wareagle700 Re: 32 mm nightforce nsx? - 12/07/16
I've had the 2.5-10x24, x32, and x42. I still have the 32mm and 42mm scopes as I found the 24mm to be less than ideal at dusk. Pretty much unusable beyond 4x in low light.

Both the 32mm and 42mm NXS's are great scopes and a perfect fit on a hunting rifle. While the reticles are thin, they allow for very precise aiming and the illumination helps during the last few minutes of hunting light. You can also get them with exposed turrets or caps.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: 32 mm nightforce nsx? - 12/07/16
Here is the bottom line on a 10X/32mm scope. At 10X you only have 3.2mm exit pupil.
Posted By: Woodhits Re: 32 mm nightforce nsx? - 12/07/16
I have tested and hunted with the 32mm model pretty extensively (numerous species in 5 different states) and have also used it in the FTW SAAM course out to 700-800 yards. It is durable, the adjustments run true, and the image clarity is excellent. Nightforce has also done a great job of nailing a very useful parallax setting. I have not found the scope wanting in any regard-- it has become my favorite all around riflescope.

As for its utility in low light, it provides adequate "brightness" for use during legal shooting hours, especially when using the illuminated reticle. I plan on trying the 42mm model next year on a rifle that I'm in the process of building, and I am mindful of the fact that its useable mounting length is more restrictive than on the 32mm.
Posted By: dmentzer Re: 32 mm nightforce nsx? - 12/09/16
If you don't mind the capped turrets and no zero stop, here is a deal on the NXS.
http://www.sportoptics.com/nightforce-rifle-scopes-c468.aspx
Posted By: SKane Re: 32 mm nightforce nsx? - 12/09/16
Terry,

I have a couple of the 42's. My recommendation is the 32mm. smile
Posted By: Kaleb Re: 32 mm nightforce nsx? - 12/09/16
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...792/FS_Nightforce_2.5-10x32#Post11616792
Posted By: aalf Re: 32 mm nightforce nsx? - 12/09/16
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Here is the bottom line on a 10X/32mm scope. At 10X you only have 3.2mm exit pupil.

How many animals has your 32mm Nightforces cost you?
Posted By: SKane Re: 32 mm nightforce nsx? - 12/09/16
Originally Posted by jorgeI

jorge,

This is a non-issue. Really.
© 24hourcampfire