Home
Posted By: BigG vx 6 firedot - 12/08/16
Does anyone know or know where I can find out how big the dot is at different ranges? Thanks
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: vx 6 firedot - 12/09/16
The Leupold lighted aiming point in my AR MOD 1 is the same size as the duplex is at that point. It looks bigger if you turn it up too much. Turned off, it's invisible. The only other one I've looked through was a VX-6 1-6 German 4, which was the same, but in red. A very nice scope, btw.
Posted By: Terryk Re: vx 6 firedot - 12/09/16
As Pappy said, the apparent size seems to change with intensity. The dot size appears the same on my duplex and #4.
Maybe I should not guess, but I shoot a 1/2 moa dot in a target scope all the time, and I think the red dot would be 1 MOA or so. Reticles are a personal taste issue, but the Firedoot plex is perfect in my opinion for hunting in the woods.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: vx 6 firedot - 12/09/16
Agree with the dot seeming larger as power is turned up.

I had a #4 VX-6 1-6 Firedot and sold it. To me, the #4 in that scope covered too much target at extended range, like 300 yds and beyond. Generally one doesn't use that type scope for LR shooting, but sometimes...

IMO, the Firedot negates the need for a #4, is better matched with the excellent VX-6 Duplex.

If I get another VX-6 1-6 Firedot, it will be a Duplex.

Just my opinion.

DF
Posted By: Savage_Hunter Re: vx 6 firedot - 12/11/16
got a VX-6 3-18x50 with firedot and CDS for $899 from Cabelas a couple weeks ago.
Check, maybe they are still at that price.
regular price is about $1400
Posted By: Daveh Re: vx 6 firedot - 12/11/16
Still on sale but "for me" they said they couldn't ship to my addy????plus I must pay 8.5% sales tax.
still a bargain even with the tax.
can they ship it to a business address?
or just not to Washington state? that'd be weird.
I tried four different addresses....
I can get the same scope on fleabay for $3 more so I don't care...
I want to compare the optics of the VX-6 to the Swaro Z5...
Posted By: David_Walter Re: vx 6 firedot - 12/11/16
I just bought a super sniper 1-4 illuminatti and declared victory.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: vx 6 firedot - 12/11/16
Originally Posted by Daveh
I can get the same scope on fleabay for $3 more so I don't care...
I want to compare the optics of the VX-6 to the Swaro Z5...

I have both.

Glass quality is pretty close.

The VX-6 Duplex is MUCH better. I found the Z5 duplex to be way too fine, so bad that I sent it back for retro #4, which cost even more money. The #4 was better, but I ended up with more money than intended in this scope.

The VX-6 has a more forgiving eyebox, easier to get behind for quick acquitions of target.

I have only one Z5, likely to stay that way. I have more than one VX-6, could end up with even more.

I think these prices reflects the new series VX-6i being rolled out. With the VX-3 and VX-3i, I don't see much difference, would move on the VX-6 at these prices.

A friend got me a VX-6 at jobber cost last year and it was about what you see them going for now.

DF
Thanks DF. I had a z5 several yrs ago and liked it in all ways but that was before the VX-6 was here...I have a BRH 3-18 incoming and will likely grab a 3-18x44 with fire dot or ILL B&C....
BTW- I like the 1" tube and 3 oz savings with the Swaro
Yeah the VX-6 is a bigger scope, but pretty streamline for 30 mm. The 2-12 is lighter than the 3-18.

Does your comparison of Z5 and VX-6 glass differ from mine?

DF

An Illuminatti scope?
Is it the Malthusian model made by the Bildeberg Corp?
DF- I don't have a VX-6 yet. Dragging my feet ....
Originally Posted by rphguy
An Illuminatti scope?

laugh
Posted By: David_Walter Re: vx 6 firedot - 12/11/16
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by rphguy
An Illuminatti scope?

laugh

Originally Posted by Daveh
DF- I don't have a VX-6 yet. Dragging my feet ....

When you get one, give us feedback on how you compare Z5 and VX-6 glass.

DF
Posted By: Daveh Re: vx 6 firedot - 12/12/16
Will do although at the moment I am thinking of spending my $$ on a PSA AR9 build....
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: vx 6 firedot - 12/12/16
I have two VX-R's and love em. The firedot reticle works just fine for me. I have found no use for the "brightest" setting, as it gathers light just fine up till the final few minutes. Then I switch it on and adjust it to the lowest setting and rock on.

Nice glass. No complaints.
Posted By: Daveh Re: vx 6 firedot - 12/12/16
Godogs- confirmed what I assumed...
Posted By: Daveh Re: vx 6 firedot - 12/22/16
Got a new Z5 3.5-18 and a new VX6 3-18x44.

My preliminary opinion is they are VERY close optically. Definitely prefer the Windplex reticle over the BRH but only by a smidgen.

I will comment on the mechanics later but have a hunch preference will be determined by intended use and tube size / weight.
The VX6 with the CDS and ZL is pretty handy....
Dave
Posted By: jimmyp Re: vx 6 firedot - 12/22/16
I got the 1-6 duplex the firedot is still big, the reticle thicker, but for me in GA it works fine. Its got to be at least a 1.5 MOA reticle it is thick, but I can see it better at closing time as well.
Posted By: Daveh Re: vx 6 firedot - 12/22/16
This stinking webpage...third try...

The dot can't be seen without illumination and the reticle is just a hair thicker than a std Leupold duplex. I like!
Posted By: Daveh Re: vx 6 firedot - 12/31/16
Update---
Still believe they are optically close. Slight edge to Swaro. Issue I have with the Leupold is at 25-30 degrees the power ring and side focus are pretty dang stiff....Searo is smooth as silk even at 25.... Both are Pretty nice scopes to have
Posted By: jimmyp Re: vx 6 firedot - 01/02/17
I like my VX6 even with its thick reticle.
Posted By: 7025Jack Re: vx 6 firedot - 01/04/17
I am considering the Firedot Windplex in a VX-6 3-18x44 on a 260 Rem custom. Primary use would be deer. I like the extra power to judge racks at a distance. Only a couple oz difference between it and a 2-12x42 model. Plus I gain SF.

From those with experience with that reticle, what are your opinions for this application?
Posted By: cotis Re: vx 6 firedot - 01/04/17
Originally Posted by 7025Jack
I am considering the Firedot Windplex in a VX-6 3-18x44 on a 260 Rem custom. Primary use would be deer. I like the extra power to judge racks at a distance. Only a couple oz difference between it and a 2-12x42 model. Plus I gain SF.

From those with experience with that reticle, what are your opinions for this application?

I have this this exact scope and love it. I dont have much need for the windplex feature, but it is not obtrusive. Nice to have if I ever need it.

The 3-18x is a 34mm tube, the 2-12x is 30mm. For me the extra 6x and SF was easily worth the few ounces and larger tube, your mileage may vary. The firedot is awesome, paid for itself the third time I hunted with it, taking my largest deer ever 7 minutes into legal light last year.
Posted By: 7025Jack Re: vx 6 firedot - 01/05/17
FWIW, Everything I have read, including the specs at leupold.com state that the tube is 30mm on the VX-6 3-18x44?
Posted By: JGRaider Re: vx 6 firedot - 01/05/17
FWIW, Everything I have read, including the specs at leupold.com state that the tube is 30mm on the VX-6 3-18x44?

I had one, and it is definitely a 30mm tube.
Posted By: Daveh Re: vx 6 firedot - 01/05/17

Correct. The tactical models may be 34mm. It's a killer scope!!
Posted By: 7025Jack Re: vx 6 firedot - 01/05/17

"Correct. The tactical models may be 34mm. It's a killer scope!!"[/quote]

Yes, I'm sure that is what Cotis was referring to....
Posted By: cotis Re: vx 6 firedot - 01/05/17
Damn, I apologize for the incorrect info I posted. My bad! CRS disease strikes again. The 3-18x is definitely a 30mm tube, NOT 34mm. The 4-24x vx-6 is the 34mm tube, that's why I didn't go with that one (and really glad I didn't).

I still love the scope smile
© 24hourcampfire