Home
I shoot my 7mm-08 out to 600 regularly. I recently bought a T3 Superlite in 7mm-08 just for fun. As soon as I can find some 150 ELD-X bullets I want to work up a load. I switched the bolt stop to a long action so I'll be able to seat the bullets out.

Here's the question: I have a VX2 4-12 CDS on it now, but I have an FX3 12x40 AO with target knobs on the way. I was planning on putting the FX3 on a long-range .223 but I'm thinking about putting it on the 7mm-08 instead.

Which scope would be better for 600 yard shooting?

P
I like the 3-9x MQ, 6X MQ and 10x MQ from SWFA, but the 6x MQ might not work depending on target size and your peepers. Whatever you choose, make sure you can hold wind a known amount with the reticle.

Thru-the-scope images can be deceiving, but here is the 6x MQ at 500 yards. The larger white object is an 8" steel plate. The smaller white object is a sheet of printer paper wadded up to the size of a baseball.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I recently bought a SS 3-9HD to eventually put on my Mcwhorter 7-08, a very accurate rifle to say the least. I will put that scope on a 243 in the meantime to sort things out, get familiar with what's going on, etc, etc etc. Just fondling the thing leads me to believe it should be fine, I just need to get it out in the field to see how my 56 yr old eyeballs adopt to the reticle at various powers.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Here's the question: I have a VX2 4-12 CDS on it now, but I have an FX3 12x40 AO with target knobs on the way. I was planning on putting the FX3 on a long-range .223 but I'm thinking about putting it on the 7mm-08 instead.
Which scope would be better for 600 yard shooting?

Leave the 4x12 on it....you're only going to 600.....
IF you....never mind. IF I was planning on hunting with that 7-08, I would have a variable on it.
If strictly range gun or long range hunting than the fixed 12 would be fine.

just my 2 cents.
I wouldn't trust dialing with either...
Originally Posted by GregW
I wouldn't trust dialing with either...

I am going to agree with this..It seems that most of the cheaper Leupolds don't quite track to a true 1/4 moa..You are always playing with speeds and BC's trying to get what works at 400 to be on at 800..It is enough to pull your hair out trying to figure what is wrong.

It was messing with Leupolds that I learned what the "Elevation Correction Factor" was for in my shooter program..

I decided it was simpler to just get scopes that track right in the first place..

Elevation Correction - This is used to correct for scope turret clicks that aren't quite what they say they are. If you've come to realize your .25MOA per-click scope is actually .23MOA per-click then you'd put a correction factor of 1.08695652 (.25/.23) because you actually need to adjust more as you aren't quite getting a full quarter MOA per click. So say your elevation solution for a 1000yd shot is 28MOA and you have the correction factor of 1.08695652. Shooter will multiply 28 by 1.08695652 to give you 30.4MOA. So even though the real solution is 28, you'd dial 30.4MOA because your scope only adjusts .23MOA rather than .25MOA per-click. An asterisk (*) will be placed next to the angular unit in the Solution and Trajectory Table screens when using these inputs to denote that the given value is corrected and not the actual calculated correction. Inaccurate click adjustments are more common than you may think. Don't take this for granted. To effectively disable this feature, leave the input set to 1.0
Pharm, may I suggest the 162 ELD instead? Contrary to what I thought, you can get 2700 fps out of them pretty easily (I use H4350).... that's a POTENT load. With your long action you'll be in heaven.

Santiam is spot-on.
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Pharm, may I suggest the 162 ELD instead? Contrary to what I thought, you can get 2700 fps out of them pretty easily (I use H4350).... that's a POTENT load. With your long action you'll be in heaven.

Santiam is spot-on.

I looked at the ballistics of the 162 compared to my current 140 Partition load. There's a difference, but not as much as I thought there would be. I'd rather trade the 12 grains for more velocity. I'm experimenting with the 162 in a couple of 7mm Rem Mags.

P
Don't be afraid to use the Amax on game at LR. They just retain more weight as speed slows. Penetration and expansion should be good to go. The 150 BT and 154 SST might be additional options as Bergers.

On scopes - a Premier tapered reticle M-8 12x was one of my fave scopes on a 223 - never needed more for LR on small targets.

I agree with others - why limit your flexibility on the 7.

I believe in that light rifle a variable topping at 10-14x will allow you to find your rifles limits - especially in field conditions.
I'd go with an Actar with a MOAR reticle, if you bottom it out and put 15 in the reticle, you should be able to get the slow piece schitt bullet to darn near 600 yards, at least close enough to skip it in.
Lol, maybe you can take a ping pong paddle, go downrange, and help him lob it in there as its falling out.
Originally Posted by 65BR
Lol, maybe you can take a ping pong paddle, go downrange, and help him lob it in there as its falling out.

Pharm was trying to get the 195's to shoot, but per the barrel twist calculator he needed a 1 in 2" twist rate and no one makes them. Then there was the whole getting bullets stuck in the barrel problem.

My wife shoots a 7mm-08, its pretty nice you just have to be careful at the range, if you walk down to check the target too fast sometimes the bullet hits you in the back. (just leaves a slight bruise though)
WRO: I take it you aren't a fan? smile
Originally Posted by BobinNH
WRO: I take it you aren't a fan? smile

Of the Fat man or the Woman's Caliber?

I actually like them both.

I was thinking the caliber...

But based on your reply I will assume going forward your comments were TIC... smile

But based on your reply I will assume going forward your comments were TIC... smile

If you bleed once a month or lack pubic hair, the 7mm-08 is the cartridge for you.. smile

Setting up a 7mm-08 for long range work is like trying to get Melissa Mcarthy to do Ballet, no matter how hard you try, she ain't going to do it well.
Laffin'! grin
Yeah - lots of douche in that post...
Originally Posted by WRO

If you bleed once a month or lack pubic hair, the 7mm-08 is the caliber for you.. smile

Setting up a 7mm-08 for long range work is like trying to get Melissa Mcarthy to do Ballet, no matter how hard you try, she ain't going to do it well.

Woohoo smile

Your going to fit right in here. grin
Originally Posted by WRO

If you bleed once a month or lack pubic hair, the 7mm-08 is the caliber for you.. smile

Cartridge not caliber you phfuqing idiot
Originally Posted by WRO

Originally Posted by tedthorn
Originally Posted by WRO

Judging by the undying urge to correct, I'm guessing you 1. Own one, and 2. Your time of the month is coming shortly.

I could be completely wrong though, you could be a pre pubescent boy pissed about missing out on Bieber tickets.

😉

Pharm get a bushnell 4 x 30, it'll double as a spotting scope.
Originally Posted by WRO
Originally Posted by WRO

Judging by the undying urge to correct, I'm guessing you 1. Own one, and 2. Your time of the month is coming shortly.

I could be completely wrong though, you could be a premium pubescent boy pissed about missing out on Bieber tickets.

😉

You obviously have some issues with the 2.8" cartridge class.....but

Cartridges are more alike than different

Bullets matter far more than headstamps

Originally Posted by WRO

If you bleed once a month or lack pubic hair, the 7mm-08 is the cartridge for you.. smile

Who let this guy in!?????
Originally Posted by WRO
Originally Posted by WRO

I could be completely wrong though, you could be a premium pubescent boy pissed about missing out on Bieber tickets.

😉

You obviously have some issues with the 2.8" cartridge class.....but

Cartridges are more alike than different

Bullets matter far more than headstamps

No I'm pitching the OP schitt, we've been friends for a while.

Although to quote the man, the myth, the legend, anyone who shoots a rifle larger than a 7mm-08 wears pink panties.

If I was shooting a 2.8" cartridge, it'd be a 260. Luckily mine is a 3.86, wife much prefers it.. 😉
WRO is gay.

I'm sure of it.

P
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
WRO is gay.

I'm sure of it.

P

Want to go camping?
I used to have a Mark AR 4-12. I liked the eye-relief, the weight, and the AO, but I sold it and replaced it with an SWFA 3-9.

Here is a picture from last summer. I don't remember if it was fired with the 7-08 Tikka with the SWFA 3-9 or the 7-08 Tikka with the 6MQ. For a gun that we'll use for targets but we'll hunt with too, I'm really liking those scopes. Yes, the 6x makes the target look small way out there, but it still works fine. They track great.

Tikka 7-08, Karstens cheek piece, SWFA scope, Warne Tikka mounts, Harris swivel, Triad rear wedge. With 140 Amax and H4350.

[Linked Image]
If the 7-08 isn't enough for long range, why is the .308 one of the 5 classic long range choices? (see the thread on the 5 long range cartridges).
Originally Posted by longbarrel
If the 7-08 isn't enough for long range, why is the .308 one of the 5 classic long range choices? (see the thread on the 5 long range cartridges).

I'm sure its a classic, so is the Model T. Its top speed is ~ 40 mph as an FYI. I'm not sure a 308 could push a 210 that fast..
I just read my post above(two above, the orange steel). I meant 162 Amax, sorry.
I vote SWFA 6x or 3-9
Originally Posted by STS45
I vote SWFA 6x or 3-9

How's the bathroom remodel going?

P
© 24hourcampfire