Home
Looking for a scope for my sons rifle. He doesn't hunt a lot but needs a better scope. Saw where cabelas has the Vortex diamondback 3.5-10x50 for $159. Any info on these scopes? Also thought about a nikon or a redfield. Thanks for any help.
A Leupold VX1 or even VXII can be had under 3 bills...just say 'no' to Vortex...
Don't overlook the Burris Fullfield E1's. Great little scope for the money.
Say no to ...x50 as well.
Doug at Camera Land has a great sale on Minox scopes.I have one and they are very nice for the price.I must say the tracking on mine is the best compared to the Leup Nikon,Swaro,Kahles I had.
check them out
Weaver Grand Slam 3-10x40

$149.99 delivered. Grand Slams are a solid scope.

Dan

https://www.natchezss.com/leupold-f...6mm-long-range-duplex-reticle-matte.html

Or if any interest in long distance shooting, I'd go SWFA 6x SS for $300.
Redfield Revolutions are a lotta bang for the buck.
That is a smoking deal on a Grand Slam. Very nice scope..
Originally Posted by bh444
Doug at Camera Land has a great sale on Minox scopes.I have one and they are very nice for the price.I must say the tracking on mine is the best compared to the Leup Nikon,Swaro,Kahles I had.
check them out

Yeah, I bought a ZA5 HD 2-10x40 from Doug. I haven't mounted it on anything yet, but, for <$300 bucks seems like a great value.

VX-1
Cabelas instinct if still on sale. Think they were like 250ish. Rebadged zeiss conquest
Originally Posted by ingwe
A Leupold VX1 or even VXII can be had under 3 bills...just say 'no' to Vortex...

+1
I've got a VX II 1x4 if your interested. Matte. Has box & paper work only mounted for a few months then back in the box.
Don't overlook a Bushnell Elite 4200. I've picked up very nice ones for under $200.

Easily beats a Redfield Revolution or VX1.

Buy used on the fire. I saw a vx3 sell for $300 yesterday. I have had good success with the classifieds. All normal caveats considered.
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
Buy used on the fire. I saw a vx3 sell for $300 yesterday. I have had good success with the classifieds. All normal caveats considered.

This. Easy to find a good scope at a great price.
Originally Posted by waterdoctor
Don't overlook a Bushnell Elite 4200. I've picked up very nice ones for under $200.

Unless you like eye relief. grin
Originally Posted by mathman

I'm surprised most of you idiots don't use scout rifles. There's not a damn thing wrong with the eye relief on the bushnell elite scopes... Long eye relief isn't always the best answer either...

I agree with that. Vortex does suck worse than Leupold, even if only by a small margin... whistle
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I'm surprised most of you idiots don't use scout rifles. There's not a damn thing wrong with the eye relief on the bushnell elite scopes... Long eye relief isn't always the best answer either...

Scout scopes suck, and GFY.
A little more than $300 but Academy had a deal on the 2.5-8x36 VX3i for $320. The Weaver Grand Slam at $150 is a good deal as well. I've also had good luck with the Burris FF II scopes if you can get past the ocular turning for magnification. The Fullfield E1s changed to a standard style ocular piece and are offered in a standard duplex.

Lots of good choices out there for under $300 better than the Vortex.
Originally Posted by alhunter1996
Looking for a scope for my sons rifle. He doesn't hunt a lot but needs a better scope. Saw where cabelas has the Vortex diamondback 3.5-10x50 for $159. Any info on these scopes? Also thought about a nikon or a redfield. Thanks for any help.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/11662297/gonew/1/WTS:__Leupold_VX-2_3-9x40_CDS_#UNREAD

Dipszchit, as always.
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad
A little more than $300 but Academy had a deal on the 2.5-8x36 VX3i for $320.

Great deal there!!!

A nice Redfield Revolution will also work and leave enough coin for rings.

Thanks for the laugh!

Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by bh444
check them out

Yeah, I bought a ZA5 HD 2-10x40 from Doug. I haven't mounted it on anything yet, but, for <$300 bucks seems like a great value.

They're great scopes, I have one on a 6.5 Swedish Mauser, eye relief throughout the magnification range is mind boggling.
I bought a 3 x 10 Weaver grand Slam for my son's rifle a couple of weeks ago It looks decent. I have had good luck with the weavers I have owned. the Grand Slam line is supposed to be a step up from the ones I have. I bought it for 150.
Get a TRUGLO 3x9 by 40. It has a BDC reticle that is lighted. You can vary the intensity and change the color from red to green by simply turning a knob. I have three of them, and the optics and tracking are first rate. Less than $120 from Natchez Shooters Supply, and you'll thank me later.

You should really keep quiet when the adults are having a conversation.

I don't know about that. The Revolution is a great scope for the money
Let's get something straight about Vortex.

This is the definition of a vortex.

"a vortex is a region in a fluid in which the flow is rotating around an axis line, which may be straight or curved, a mass of whirling fluid"

This is an image of a vortex.

[Linked Image]

Who in the hell wants a scope named after the swirl in the toilet? I don't care how good their scopes are, I cannot abide the stupidity of the company name.
Nikon Pro-Staff 3-9X40mm with BDC is a lot of bang for the buck.

That Grand Slam that was posted is a smoking deal.

Dave
Plenty of VX3 deals in the classified if you hunt for them from time to time
Originally Posted by alhunter1996

campfire classifieds
Used VX-2/II or VX-3/III in 3-9x40 or 3.5-10x40. Tough to beat for general use. If going cheaper, I like a used Redfield Revolution or new/used current Nikon Prostaff, all in 3-9x40. All solid choices that are friendly to the eye and easy to use.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Let's get something straight about Vortex.

This is the definition of a vortex.

"a vortex is a region in a fluid in which the flow is rotating around an axis line, which may be straight or curved, a mass of whirling fluid"

This is an image of a vortex.

[Linked Image]

Who in the hell wants a scope named after the swirl in the toilet? I don't care how good their scopes are, I cannot abide the stupidity of the company name.

You are just looking at it wrong. The vortex is the one they created that sucked all the competition down the drain. They have become #1 in sales.

Having said that,I am not a fan of their cheap stuff. It is no different from anyone's cheap stuff just because it says Vortex.
Cabelas Instinct(Meopta Meopro/Zeiss Conquest) on one of it's $299 sales.

Used to say the Weaver Classic V9 was the best deal out there, but it has been discontinued.

Now if you're like me, and I know I am, a good fixed 4x will handle anything you throw at it up to 400 or so(and I refuse to shoot past that anyway). If that is true, then take a long hard look at the Weaver Classic K4. I run them on most of my rifles and have never found them to be in any way lacking.
A VX 3 2.5-8 has what, a quarter inch more eye relief than an Elite 4200? I haven't had any issues with the eye relief of 4200s. I have had to crawl the stock to keep pace with the eye relief of a VX3 across the mag range. I know it doesn't bother a lot of people . It does me.

If eye relief is really important to you, ditch Bushnell and Leupold. The Europeans figured out how to give you a constant, generous distance.

The Revolution I had couldn't touch the glass of a 4200. Limited sample size and others may see it differently but they are not nearly in the same class to me.
I've killed a bunch of stuff with a Weaver Grand Slam fixed 4.75x scope. The one linked to on-sale would be great for someone that "doesn't hunt a lot" but needs a better scope than a blister-pack special or no-name package deal scope.

The Weaver Grand Slam for $150 is a great deal! I bought one several years ago when Weaver first came out with that series and they were $250.00. I thought it had better glass than the VX-III at that time. Depends if you want to spend $150 or $300.
Originally Posted by gunner500

Yep. I've been satisfied with the couple Revolutions I have.
Originally Posted by 1Nut

I have two of them and for the price, I think they are hard to beat.
Originally Posted by deflave
Nikon Pro-Staff 3-9X40mm with BDC is a lot of bang for the buck.

Dave

I'll second that

I had two Elites, a 4200, and a 3200 and liked them both, but both were noticeably harder to get behind than Leupolds, except my very early vx-I 4-12 (which I still have). The Bushys not only have shorter eye relief, but it seems to be more critical, which is a factor when wearing varying amounts of clothing. The 4200, a 1.5-6 I think, was really nice, but weighed a ton.

I suspect that individual peculiarities in vision might play a role in how people regard different scopes. Newer Leupolds seem to run out of threads on the ocular before I get them focused just right.
Leupold VX II. Or look for used VXIII.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by 1Nut

I have two of them and for the price, I think they are hard to beat.

I have five of them now.You could say I'm a fan....
If you are in the 3-9 crowd, get a Burris Fullfield II.

If your in the 2-7 crowd, get a Weaver classic V7.

That weaver grand slam for $150 is a good deal.
If this isn't a surprise gift take your son to a sporting goods / optics store and get his input on the scope. Look through some more expensive scopes that you can afford to buy used. My preference is 3-9 even though max power is seldom used it is nice to have and 3 power is good up close.

I like a used Zeiss Conquest best in that price range and think that can last your son the next 30 years, a VX2 is high on my list but is right at the top of your price range new. I'd rather have a used VX3 given a choice. I'd consider a new Burris ff2, Sightron s2, Grand Slam would all be a better fit than the Vortex Diamondback for a serious hunting rifle. I own Vortex scopes but don't put them on big game hunting guns.
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
Get a TRUGLO 3x9 by 40. It has a BDC reticle that is lighted. You can vary the intensity and change the color from red to green by simply turning a knob. I have three of them, and the optics and tracking are first rate. Less than $120 from Natchez Shooters Supply, and you'll thank me later.

Yuck...simply yuck. No-one will be thanking you for that crap.
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
Originally Posted by sharpsguy

Yuck...simply yuck. No-one will be thanking you for that crap.

Lmao
Originally Posted by 30338
https://www.natchezss.com/leupold-f...6mm-long-range-duplex-reticle-matte.html

Or if any interest in long distance shooting, I'd go SWFA 6x SS for $300.

Thanks for that!! Just picked one up for my lightweight 358 win I am putting together....
I'm starting to find some of these scopes with a lot of eye relief are almost impossible to get far enough forward on the gun....is 4.3" maybe a little much?
Opticsplanet.com has Bushnell ELITE 4500 2.5-10X40mm Riflescope for $215. If you use the "XMAS" at check out you save another 15%. The sale ends tomorrow. I don't know what I did correctly, but I didn't have to pay for shipping on mine.
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad
A little more than $300 but Academy had a deal on the 2.5-8x36 VX3i for $320. The Weaver Grand Slam at $150 is a good deal as well. I've also had good luck with the Burris FF II scopes if you can get past the ocular turning for magnification. The Fullfield E1s changed to a standard style ocular piece and are offered in a standard duplex.

Lots of good choices out there for under $300 better than the Vortex.

FYI for anyone looking, my buddy went to buy the $320 VX3i 2.5-8 at Academy and it rang up at $287. Hard to beat that deal.
© 24hourcampfire