Home
Posted By: StudDuck $1000 to spend; which one? - 01/19/17
As the title states, I've got a $1000 budget to purchase a set of 10x42 binos.

I've narrowed it down to three makes/models and wanted to get the hive's opinion before dropping the coin.

In no particular order:
Swarovski SLC, used
Zeiss Victory T*FL, used ($900, but pre-LotuTec)
Leica Trinovid, new and on clearance for $899 (this is the "older" model with the diopter located in the center.)

If it wasn't for the poor reviews of Leica's customer service, it would be a no-brainer, but......

What's your thoughts/suggestions?
I'm a big swaro fan so the SLC's might get the nod, but my sons have those same trinovids and they are a lot of bino for the money, I think leica continues to improve when it comes to CS.
Posted By: bt8897 Re: $1000 to spend; which one? - 01/19/17
Swaros, you cant go wrong.
Posted By: 1Nut Re: $1000 to spend; which one? - 01/19/17
SD,

I can recommend Pentax ZD 10x43 EDs. I found mine new for under $1000 new and, in my opinion, they are excellent for the money.

Or possibly find alpha glass used.
Swaro's you won't be disappointed
Of those 3, Swaro and it's no contest.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: $1000 to spend; which one? - 01/19/17
Swarovski customer service is excellent. I have slc's which I think highly of. Screwed up the eye piece..dented it somehow and was going to send them in for repair. Real nice lady explained to me how they unscrew shipped me two new ones next day or two day no charge.

For a little more than 1k vortex is coming out with a nice rangefinder bino you might consider?
Posted By: Ringman Re: $1000 to spend; which one? - 01/19/17
Did you give Track, one of our sponsors, a thought? I've heard good things about them.
Love my Trinovids!
In your price range that used Swaro sounds like a good choice or you may wish to consider the Minox 10x43 HG's which are excellent and only $699.99 for a demo
Please feel free to call us to discuss different options
Posted By: broomd Re: $1000 to spend; which one? - 01/20/17
If you like really bright glass the zeiss victorys are damn fine. And as you noted, they can be had under your price limit and with a top shelf warranty.
Slc's or victorys.
Originally Posted by broomd
If you like really bright glass the zeiss victorys are damn fine. And as you noted, they can be had under your price limit and with a top shelf warranty.
Slc's or victorys.

The Victory Series is my favorite out of the lot. I had a pair and in a weak moment, let my brother talk me out of them.

But as others have said, you can't beat Swaro's customer service. I've used it several times in the past, as I've owned several sets of older SLC's.
Originally Posted by handwerk
I'm a big swaro fan so the SLC's might get the nod, but my sons have those same trinovids and they are a lot of bino for the money, I think leica continues to improve when it comes to CS.

I've seen several pictures of the Trinovids that are on clearance, but they have all differed. I've seen two different designs; the bottom of the barrels where your thumbs go is smooth like the older BA/BN versions and then I seen a picture that depicted a thumb-stop or speed bump near where your thumbs would wrap around; which design is it?
Doug reports a commitment from leica on improving CS. Love my Geovids.
Originally Posted by StudDuck

In no particular order:
Swarovski SLC, used
Zeiss Victory T*FL, used ($900, but pre-LotuTec)
Leica Trinovid, new and on clearance for $899 (this is the "older" model with the diopter located in the center.)

These^
If I go the Swarovski route, what is the latest production year that I should consider?
Zeiss used Fl's are great low light binoculars.
Which used SLC? The NEU model or the current HD?
If its not the current SLC then the Zeiss FL by a landslide.
I just sent the coin for another set of Zeiss Victory T*FL 10x42mm; found a deal on them that I couldn't pass up and they are in mint condition.

I'm not knocking Swarovski in the least, as I've owned several sets of the old SLC, but the Zeiss were/are my favorites.

I appreciate all the replies, thanks for playing.
I have Swaro SLCs and older Leica Geovids. Like both very much, but would like to try the Zeiss side by side for comparison. I think you did good. Enjoy.
Originally Posted by sidepass
Doug reports a commitment from leica on improving CS. Love my Geovids.

IF I was going with Leica, I'd work with Doug. Going it alone without those guys as your advocates with Leica may not be the best move.

Zeiss and Swaro have great CS.

I got Zeiss Victory 8x45 rangefinder binocs from Doug and crew. Even as a discounted store sample they cost more than OP's budget. But what fine binocs they are and the rangefinder is excellent. Ranging in the binoc is faster than using two devices. Sometimes a second or two can be critical.

DF
© 24hourcampfire