Home
Posted By: laker SWFA Windage turret - 03/19/17
Alright guys im looking for a new scope for my Mashburn. The one 10x swfa I owned I liked but I always had hell with the windage turret spinning on me while I packed it. Do any of you have a problem with the windage turret spinning on you or do you just make it a habit of turning them back to zero before shooting? Has anybody fashioned a cap for the windage turret?
Posted By: Hondo64d Re: SWFA Windage turret - 03/19/17
There was a thread here not long ago by someone who chopped and capped the windage turret. I'm sure a search will reveal it.

John
Posted By: Canazes9 Re: SWFA Windage turret - 03/19/17
I have never had a 3-9x42 SWFA SS Turrett spin on me, the turretts are smaller, lower profile and have more resistance to moving vs the SWFA SS 6x, 10x, etc.

David
Zeiss hd5, lockable turrets.
Posted By: atse Re: SWFA Windage turret - 03/19/17
Originally Posted by Canazes9
I have never had a 3-9x42 SWFA SS Turrett spin on me, the turretts are smaller, lower profile and have more resistance to moving vs the SWFA SS 6x, 10x, etc.

David
This! I have had my 3x15 windage turret turn a click or two once in a while. I just always give it a look before I start to call. The 3x9 s are stiffer, and lower profile.

Posted By: Backroads Re: SWFA Windage turret - 03/19/17
Tape works too.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: SWFA Windage turret - 03/19/17
+2

Tape
Posted By: GregW Re: SWFA Windage turret - 03/19/17
I've packed sooo many rifles in so many various ways through nasty jungle thick stuff, up mountains, through rivers, through hell and back and never had a turret spin...

How do you guys pack your rifles and with what pack?
Posted By: laker Re: SWFA Windage turret - 03/19/17
Originally Posted by GregW
I've packed sooo many rifles in so many various ways through nasty jungle thick stuff, up mountains, through rivers, through hell and back and never had a turret spin...

How do you guys pack your rifles and with what pack?

Mine was spinning using an eberlestock and with rifle sling on the shoulder. Not sure how it was spinning but it was so I started taping it. Was just wondering if someone had came up with an alternative to tape
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: SWFA Windage turret - 03/19/17
Mixing threads here it seems. There's a way to use common rubber washer to rig a non-locking zero stop on the fixed SWFAs.

Best I've been able to find there's not a ZS solution for the SWFA 3-9.

This link is not a recommendation for doing such things, and the 3-9 has a different assembly, but this is what Hondo referenced.
SWFA FF Sans Windage knob

Have not messed with modding a 3-9 but the Kimber MT 6.5 CM ejects shells right into the windage dial. Thinking of grinding the grip part of the dial to smaller diameter but the higher price of the 3-9 leaves me hesitant.
Posted By: laker Re: SWFA Windage turret - 03/19/17
Not sure if I have the balls to do that just yet
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: SWFA Windage turret - 03/19/17
Yah, I hear ya! Tape is cheap.
Posted By: Formidilosus Re: SWFA Windage turret - 03/19/17
Hose washer. Can make the turret as hard to turn as you desire.
Posted By: Biggs300 Re: SWFA Windage turret - 03/20/17
I use a Crooked Horn Gun Commander system on my backpacks to carry my rifles. I install on the right side of my pack and the windage turret doesn't make contact with anything. I do like the idea of tape. The windage turret would be an excellent place to carry an extra piece of blue painter's tape which I always use to cover my bore when out in the field.
Posted By: NMpistolero Re: SWFA Windage turret - 03/20/17
There was a guy on the new-old snipershide I think, that was making caps that would just slip over the turrets and were bungee'ed with heavy rubber bands. Cheap easy fix though not as handy as a zero stop.
Posted By: NMpistolero Re: SWFA Windage turret - 03/20/17
Thinking about it, It mighta been Rokslide.
Posted By: Formidilosus Re: SWFA Windage turret - 03/20/17
Y'all are over thinking this...

Hose gasket.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: SWFA Windage turret - 03/21/17
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

Hose gasket.

Just something that will fit over the turret body(?) and under the turret cap? Is that how you're doing that Form? I use them as a ZS for elevation but haven't tightened the windage up in any way yet.
Posted By: Hondo64d Re: SWFA Windage turret - 03/21/17
I put a zero stop on windage too. I wasn't able to find a hose gasket that fit the 3-9 but found some nylon washers that did.

John
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: SWFA Windage turret - 03/22/17
Use a hose gasket. You are not trying for a zero stop here, just making it exceedingly difficult to turn.
Posted By: high_country_ Re: SWFA Windage turret - 03/25/17
I shot a bull way back last season. He was 100 yards and I felt like I should have dumped him. As it turns out I was about 12 minutes off on the dial. I was lucky and the bull ran past my pard who dumped it.

I had my turret spin on my back for the first time. It made me so upset that I swapped out all of my exposed turret hunting scopes for the new bushnell lrhs and lrhsi scopes.
Posted By: Formidilosus Re: SWFA Windage turret - 03/25/17
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

Hose gasket.

Just something that will fit over the turret body(?) and under the turret cap? Is that how you're doing that Form? I use them as a ZS for elevation but haven't tightened the windage up in any way yet.

Something like these-

[Linked Image]

Usually two per turret is about right. You can vary how tight they are at zero by the amount of pressure you push down when you reattach the turret. More pressure= harder to turn. Less pressure= easier to turn.

I set mine where the elevation is reletively tight, but you can make it go .5mil or so under zero. The windage I set real tight- you can't move it more than a couple of clicks without a strap.

It works great as both a zero stop and a turret lock. They aren't moving unless you want them to.
Posted By: Formidilosus Re: SWFA Windage turret - 03/25/17
To clarify- they are for the "Classic" SWFA SS scopes.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: SWFA Windage turret - 03/25/17
Ok I understand now. I do my elevation like that I just wasn't following you doing windage that way. Got it though thank you.
© 24hourcampfire