Home
I have a pair of Leica Trinovid binoculars that are about 10 yrs old. They are the 8x42 model and have no issues what-so-ever...they work and function perfectly. I have all original paperwork, box, and goodies that they came with.

I am really thinking hard about selling these to step up into a new pair of Swarovski EL HD's in the 8.5x42 model.

Thanks in advance for the input!!
Anybody??
Jeff,

Should fetch $800ish. Some folks still prefer that model to the next generation Ultravid that replaced it.
Search some of the auction sites for comps.
Originally Posted by SKane
Jeff,

Should fetch $800ish. Some folks still prefer that model to the next generation Ultravid that replaced it.

Thanks Scott!!

Do you run the Swaro EL's??
SLC 42 (8x)
SLC 42 (8x)

'Bout time to upgrade . . . . . laugh
After 8-10 years of tilting at windmills, I'm finally content with the SLC HD for my full-size bino.
After 8-10 years of tilting at windmills, I'm finally content with the SLC HD for my full-size bino.

That one is going to be hard to beat Scott. Fantastic bino backed by a fantastic company.
Swaro EL's versus the Swaro SLC's.......??
Jeff,
I'm one of the blessed that suffers the rolling ball effect due to the field flattener in the EL - hence the SLC for me.
Beyond the field flattener, I can tell no difference in view betwixed the two. The SLC is a wee smaller in stature too.
Jeff,
I'm one of the blessed that suffers the rolling ball effect due to the field flattener in the EL - hence the SLC for me.
Beyond the field flattener, I can tell no difference in view betwixed the two. The SLC is a wee smaller in stature too.

Thanks again!!
Originally Posted by 300MAG
Swaro EL's versus the Swaro SLC's.......??

When the EL's first came out years ago I think they were touted as being an upgrade from the SLC's. Now I'm not so sure that's true even though they still cost more. Looking at the stats for a 10x42 EL vs. a 10x42 SLC the SLC's list a 91% light transmission number vs. 90% for the EL's. The SLC's are also 2.6 oz. lighter than the EL's at 27 oz. vs. 29.6 oz. I picked the 10x42's because that's the only exactly comparable size, otherwise it'd be 8.5x vs. 8x.

I own an older pair of SLC's and haven't compared the newest versions side by side to the EL's, but looking at the numbers I think I'd have to look real hard at both of them before I'd spring the extra money for the EL's, on paper it looks like the SLC's might have the edge.
IMO, you wouldn't gain a thing from the Trinovid to an SLC.
The Swarovski Swarovision would be an improvement over the Trinovid optically and ergonomically. If you want something you could drop out of an airplane and still use, you won't beat the Trinovids.
The value depends a lot about condition, armor wear
and any scratches on the lenses is very important.

Tops would be $800. for one in above average excellent
condition. Otherwise $6-700 for one with wear.
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

A late model SLC Neu will trump an older Leica in transmission
and brightness.

That is very important and a nice thing. Brighter is better.
Originally Posted by Farmboy1
The value depends a lot about condition, armor wear
and any scratches on the lenses is very important.

Tops would be $800. for one in above average excellent
condition. Otherwise $6-700 for one with wear.

These are in very good to excellent condition....I am very particular with the care of my equipment!!

and brightness.

And any version Trinovid trumps any SLC in build quality/durability.

and brightness.

And any version Trinovid trumps any SLC in build quality/durability.

The Germans are known for building good stuff. The Tiger tank of WWII scared many tank battalions during the war, but tough tanks didn't win the war.
A lot of this thread is about that old cliche "personal preferences," except in optic individual eyesight does make a difference. My own eyes prefer the latest SLC's over the Swarovision EL's, but not enough to dump my pre-Swarovision EL for the SLC. Other eyes won't see the same way--which is why we should look through any binoculars ourselves before deciding--if possible.

That Leica Trinovid might not be quite as sharp as as the most recent Swarovskis, at least to some eyes, but it's hell for stout. However, if it does happen to get damaged you'll have to deal with Leica CS. They keep saying it's improving, but Swarovski's has been good for a long time.

The other factor is glassing skill. Have seen quite a few hunters with supposedly lesser optics that out-glassed others with the latest and supposedly greatest binoculars.
Not a day goes by that I don't miss my old 8x42 ba trinovids. I still recall the serial number 1075733.....they've been gone for 5 or more years now.....
© 24hourcampfire