Home
Posted By: GuyM Hunting optic for a revolver? - 01/07/18
Getting interested in doing more handgun hunting. I've popped the occasional deer with my .44, and a few with the .45 1911, always with the iron sights.

What optic, handgun scope or red-dot, do you recommend for a hard-kicking revolver?

Looking for something that will hold up to my 500 S&W revolver, and the 5" 44 mag S&W 629.

I don't have any illusions of taking a shot beyond 100 yards, but from the limited amount of shooting I've done with 45's & 9mm's and red-dot sights, I know I shoot better, more accurately with even a simple optic.

Thanks, Guy
I prefer a Leupold 2X Pistol Scope.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

This is what I have on my freedom arms. I dont always use it but thats what I have.
The 1" and 30mm Ultradot red-dot sights have held up well on my Ruger Super Redhawks in 44 Magnum and 480 Ruger. The 2x and 4x Leupolds also are quite good and, if you can fine one, the Bushnell Elite 3200 2-6x32 is an excellent scope that, unfortunately, Bushnell discontinued last year. I prefer it to the Leupold 2.5-8x variable.
What type of cover do you hunt? If it is thick a 2X is so much easier to get on target with. I too would choose a Leupold.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

...............Me too; on a 7.5" 44 Mag. Redhawk.
I have had both M8 and FXII 2X Handgun scopes, no issue with either.

I sold the pistols I had them on, a 7.5' Super Blackhawk, 7.5" Redhawk, and 7.5" Super Redhawk, but kept one for my 14" .30-30 Contender.

It is my preferred handgun scope, more magnification seems to make it harder for me to acquire and hold the target.

To say I am not a good handgun shot is not an understatement.....
I've had a Nikon 1-4x on my Ruger SB Hunter .44 mag for twenty-something years and it has performed flawlessly. Nice to use the 4x setting for load development but I normally have it on 1x in the field. I tried a red-dot and just didnn't like it in the field but it was OK for range work.
© 24hourcampfire