Home
Posted By: CORDrew Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 02/17/18
Curious about the Ziess V4 4-16x44. I know these are new, but wondering if anyone has had any experience with one yet. Looks interesting... Exposed elevation turret w/ zero stop, capped windage, decent reticle options. Got a coupon in my email to get one for about $815. That price puts it in competition for a spot on one of my rifles... if it turns out to be solid. Any thoughts on these, good or bad?
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 02/17/18
I saw one last week at a trade show. its the most impressive scope I have ever looked at optically, particularly one with that much scope power. ziess also offers the V6 which IMO isn't anywhere near as good of a scope the v6 has quite a bit of tunneling at all powers. the v4 has a huge view with a very thin outer portion its almost like looking through air. very very impressive. 4x on the low end doesn't feel like 4x because the view appears so big. The have some great reticle choices, zero stop turret, low profile parallax and covered windage. exactly the kind of things people have been asking for. They also offer a 3-12x56 that they claim is marketed toward back east and south hunters. its got covered turrets and the big objective. I wish they offered it with an elevation turret and a 44 or 42 mm objective. 3-12 is exactly the power range I would like. I would definitely buy a 3-12 if they offered it like that. I still will probably pick up a 4-16, The main thing I want to check is tracking, If they track these are an awesome scope.

the zeiss sales guys told me, its jap glass assembled by LOW in japan with german made internals that are sent over to japan for assembly. the V6 models are the same but use schott glass instead.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 02/17/18
Wrong. V6 is made in Germany and assembled in Germany and has different internal components. There is more to it than different glass.
Posted By: gr8fuldoug Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 02/17/18
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Wrong. V6 is made in Germany and assembled in Germany and has different internal components. There is more to it than different glass.

correct ^^^^^^^^
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 02/18/18
Doug, in your estimation, is the V6 worth the upgrade in price over the V4?
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 02/18/18
Ok the sales manager for zeiss sports optics lied to me. Compare v4 to v6 side by side. No way your picking the v6.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 02/18/18
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Ok the sales manager for zeiss sports optics lied to me. Compare v4 to v6 side by side. No way your picking the v6.

Why not? The V6 is a higher quality scope all the way around.
Originally Posted by jwp475

have you compared them. Side by side? Yes or no?

Better quality internals and Scott glass I’d certainly go for the V6 over the V4.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 02/18/18
^^^^^^^^^^^

jwp475, don't cast pearls before swine
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 02/18/18

Better quality internals and Scott glass I’d certainly go for the V6 over the V4.

+1 and on the Zeiss website 92% light transmission vs 90% for the VX4
Posted By: sidepass Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 02/18/18
2% thats like non fat milk, why bother. Bet the price difference is more than 2%. Will look up later.
Posted By: sidepass Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 02/18/18
100% higher price for 2% gain in light transmission. TFF! I do understand there are other things your money buys you when you go from the V4 to the V6 but the 2% difference in light transmission is what was highlighted.

so let me get this straight your telling me how much better a scope is that you haven't even seen in person? and your disagreeing with information that was given to me face to face from the sales manger of the company? interesting......... just when I thought the optics forum couldn't get any nuttier.

oh yeah the topic starter asked who has seen these scopes, why are you commenting?
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 02/18/18
Originally Posted by sidepass
100% higher price for 2% gain in light transmission. TFF! I do understand there are other things your money buys you when you go from the V4 to the V6 but the 2% difference in light transmission is what was highlighted.

That's a common theme in optics ,rifles,cars and other things. V6 has way more adjustment range, better in lowlight and has better reticle choices as well.

so let me get this straight your telling me how much better a scope is that you haven't even seen in person? and your disagreeing with information that was given to me face to face from the sales manger of the company? interesting......... just when I thought the optics forum couldn't get any nuttier.

oh yeah the topic starter asked who has seen these scopes, why are you commenting?

You’re the nutty SOB, Doug disputed your BS info
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

+1 and on the Zeiss website 92% light transmission vs 90% for the VX4

Light transmission doesn’t tell the full stor6 of better glass plus better internals.

Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr

correct ^^^^^^^^

Cumminscowboy Your info sucks.
Posted By: CORDrew Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 02/18/18
Thanks for the replies. Some good info. I'll let you guys duke out the details. V6 is a little outta my price range but V4 is appealing. Seems like it is too new for anyone to have much shooting time with one yet. If I end up with one I'll report back. It is definitely in the running for my next scope.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 02/18/18
I'm looking at the Zeiss catalog furnished to EuroOptic:

Conquest V6: 30mm main tube - Matte Black - Second Focal Plane - Schott FL Glass - T* /Six Layer Transmission Coating - LotuTec Hydrophobic Coating
Retail prices from $1,549.99 to $1,899.99. Three Scope offerings, some with exposed turrets - multiple reticle choices, some illuminated.

Conquest V4: 30mm main tube - Matte Black - Second Focal Plane - some with Exposed Turrets - T* Six Layer Transmission Coating - LotuTec Hydrophobic Coating.
Retail prices from $799.99 to $1,199.99. Four scope offerings with multiple reticle choices, some illuminated.

Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 02/19/18
I have no dog in this fight but I came across a review of the V6 and thought some here might like to read it.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/zeiss-conquest-v6-riflescope-review.1140/
Posted By: elkaddict Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 02/19/18
Thanks for posting. I worry about both reticle being insufficient for low light hunting. I think they’re missing out not having a more big game friendly reticle in 3x18x50.
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 02/19/18
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
I have no dog in this fight but I came across a review of the V6 and thought some here might like to read it.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/zeiss-conquest-v6-riflescope-review.1140/

there is no fight just some dumb shiut who has NOT actually seen either one of the scopes talked about, who also has NOT talked to the sales manager of ziess sports optics face to face. telling the one poster who has they are stupid and don't know what they are talking about. Other than doug I am the only member thats posted here who has actually compared the scopes in person.. Its utterly amazing the people we get around here who just like to hear themselves talk or type I guess.

the v6 suffers from a noticable amount of tunneling. maybe its not so bad compared to other scopes. but compared directly to the v4 you will see its the first thing you notice. the v4 is the opposite of tunneling. but what they hell do I know I am blind. good hell some people are dumb [bleep]
Posted By: iddave Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 02/19/18

A lot in that article about the quality of the glass, and nearly nothing about tracking and rtz.
Posted By: mclevela Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 02/19/18

I have compared them side by side at the Zeiss booth at SCI, spoke to Zeiss rep in depth about the V6 & V4. In my estimation there is no comparison, all you have to do is spin the turrets on each. V6 is on another level in every respect.
Posted By: sidepass Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 02/19/18
But is it worth twice the price? At that point I'll just go Nightforce. Looking for other options here.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 02/19/18
Originally Posted by iddave

A lot in that article about the quality of the glass, and nearly nothing about tracking and rtz.

I'm just the messenger. Take that up with the reviewer.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 02/19/18
Originally Posted by mclevela

I have compared them side by side at the Zeiss booth at SCI, spoke to Zeiss rep in depth about the V6 & V4. In my estimation there is no comparison, all you have to do is spin the turrets on each. V6 is on another level in every respect.

Exactly not to mention the best glass in its price point. They compare favorably with scopes costing much more.
Posted By: iddave Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 02/19/18
Originally Posted by iddave

I'm just the messenger. Take that up with the reviewer.

No slight intended OSU. You certainly didn’t write it. I just continue to be amazed at how few seem to grasp the primary function of a scope.
But is it worth twice the price? At that point I'll just go Nightforce. Looking for other options here.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 02/19/18
Originally Posted by sidepass

The V6 is shorter and lighter than a Nightforce.
I did see that, by a significant amount . Nice to have options.
Posted By: Taco2fiddy7 Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 02/20/18
That V4 4-16x44 is a bit heavy, but has my attention
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 02/20/18

The V6 is a lota scope for the money. It is comparable to more expensive scopes. I own at present 6 S&B’s, 1 Nightforce NXS and I would certainly consider the V6 for my next purchase.
Posted By: liliysdad Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 02/20/18
I dont understand why the 3-12, and 6-24 are available in illuminated versions, but not the most useful model, the 4-16.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 02/20/18

The V6 is a lota scope for the money. It is comparable to more expensive scopes. I own at present 6 S&B’s, 1 Nightforce NXS and I would certainly consider the V6 for my next purchase.

I agree. 3-18x50 with #6
Posted By: sidepass Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 02/20/18
Originally Posted by liliysdad
I dont understand why the 3-12, and 6-24 are available in illuminated versions, but not the most useful model, the 4-16.

+1
Posted By: Roc Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 03/18/18
Looking at a 4-16x44,anybody tried one out yet?
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 03/19/18
Originally Posted by Roc
Looking at a 4-16x44,anybody tried one out yet?

Glass,features, and optical formula is amazing. I would have to test the tracking to know a final answer. I think you will be very happy
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 03/26/18
Anybody pick one of these up that can add to this thread. Looked at one at SW and although a bit heavy man was it impressive.
Posted By: Roc Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 03/27/18
I'm going to order one here in a couple weeks.
Looks like you only dial elevation so it has small side turrets,not like some of the scopes where you can hang your coat from them.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 05/06/18
Roc, have you shot the 4-16x44 yet?
Posted By: Hiaring8 Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 05/06/18
I have been playing with a v4 4-16x44 on a Rem AWR 300 RUM. (Buddies rifle that I am doing load development for) Not a huge sample size (35-40 rounds thru it) but so far it is awesome. The view as far as brightness, clarity, resolution - will wow you. Optically its right up there with if not surpassing other scopes in the 1k price range. Mechanically, so far this one has been spot on. I had been feeding the rifle heavy 200 grain loads with no brake and thus far had not seen any change in zero. The turret is nice and solid. Good Clicks - Not NXS type click but no slop or play either.

I have not done too much tracking on it to really test it out, but the last 10 rounds I shot thru the rifle, I would shoot, spin the turret to max out its elevation, turn it back down to zero and shoot again. I did this every time for 10 shots and the scope returned to zero. The zero stop on these scopes is pretty sweet and is rock solid.

Again, very small sample size and over the next couple months, I will really be putting this scope thru the paces (waiting on gunsmith to install wyatts box and muzzle break) Going to be working with heavy 212 grain bullets going really fast and taking the gun out to 1k so that should really give me a better idea on this scope. However - so far its awesome. Good enough that I am going to purchase one, even though I don't have a need for it yet.

At the full retail of around $1000 - I would say they are a good deal - at the $650-$700 demo pricing you can get them at - they are an absolute steal!
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 05/06/18
Hiaring8, thanks for the response! I'm looking hard at one of these. Called BassPro this morning to see if they had one in the case to go take a look through. Unfortunately, they only carry Zeiss binoculars now. No scopes.

Trying to think of somewhere else local I could go get a look through one.
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 05/06/18
Where do you find the $700 demo?
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 05/06/18
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Hiaring8, thanks for the response! I'm looking hard at one of these. Called BassPro this morning to see if they had one in the case to go take a look through. Unfortunately, they only carry Zeiss binoculars now. No scopes.

Trying to think of somewhere else local I could go get a look through one.

Just buy one they are awesome. Just wish the 3-12 was a 42 mm with a turret
Posted By: gr8fuldoug Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 05/06/18
Be glad to hook you up with one smile
Give us a call and of course mention 24hour
Posted By: Hiaring8 Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 05/06/18
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Where do you find the $700 demo?

Doug won’t like this answer....lol....but Redhawk Rifles has them on sale as well as demos....I’m sure Doug could get you very close if not matched pricing...
Posted By: gr8fuldoug Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 05/06/18
I always try to do all I can. Give us a call please, 516-217-1000
Posted By: Roc Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 05/06/18
Doug gave me a good deal on a new one.
I have two Z3's and a Tract Toric.
I like the Zeiss the best.Haven't tried dialing it yet.They just plowed and planted the field where I can get some long range
shooting in.Now it's wet and windy.Have to give it a few days.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 05/21/18
Originally Posted by Roc
Doug gave me a good deal on a new one.
I have two Z3's and a Tract Toric.
I like the Zeiss the best.Haven't tried dialing it yet.They just plowed and planted the field where I can get some long range
shooting in.Now it's wet and windy.Have to give it a few days.

Which one did you end up with?
Posted By: StarchedCover Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 05/21/18
Doug gave me a very good deal on a new Zeiss V4 4-16x44mm w/ a #20 (Plex) reticle, it's mounted in Talley Rings on my Tikka T3X 6.5 Creedmoor. It's bore sighted but haven't gotten it to the range yet due to the recent moonsoon.
Have only compared it to my Z3 3-10x42mm and S&B Klassik 6x42mm and it is pretty close (very subjective, per my eyeballs) to the Z3 optically, the S&B (no surprise here) is in another class.
Looking forward to getting out to the range and giving it a whirl.

StarchedCover
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 05/21/18
Originally Posted by StarchedCover
Doug gave me a very good deal on a new Zeiss V4 4-16x44mm w/ a #20 (Plex) reticle, it's mounted in Talley Rings on my Tikka T3X 6.5 Creedmoor. It's bore sighted but haven't gotten it to the range yet due to the recent moonsoon.
Have only compared it to my Z3 3-10x42mm and S&B Klassik 6x42mm and it is pretty close (very subjective, per my eyeballs) to the Z3 optically, the S&B (no surprise here) is in another class.
Looking forward to getting out to the range and giving it a whirl.

StarchedCover

I need to get one for my Sako A7
Posted By: Roc Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 05/21/18
I got theZeiss 4-16x44 ZMOA-2 with Seekins Rings.
I have a Z3 3-10 x42 on a 300WM and a Z3 4-12x50 on an 8mm RM and a Tract Toric 2-10 on a 375 H&H.
I like the Zeiss with the Z3's a close second,nice thing about the Z3's is their light weight.I wouldn't buy another Toric.
Still haven't shot the Zeiss at long range,still raining here and the fields are flooded.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 05/22/18
Just ordered the Zeiss 4-16x44 with Z-plex #20 reticle. Sportsman's Guide is your friend today until eob Thursday. Be advised, they are backorder only at this time. I missed out on direct ship yesterday because of availability of funds. Should ship 6-25-18, according to rep and website.
Posted By: sidepass Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 05/22/18
Why not another Toric?
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 05/24/18
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Just ordered the Zeiss 4-16x44 with Z-plex #20 reticle. Sportsman's Guide is your friend today until eob Thursday. Be advised, they are backorder only at this time. I missed out on direct ship yesterday because of availability of funds. Should ship 6-25-18, according to rep and website.

Update: these were taken off backorder and I'll be receiving on Saturday 5/26.

Psyched.
Posted By: azelkhuntr Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 08/15/18
Bump have you guys tested you v4's more yet. How are they tracking and returning to zero?
Posted By: Daveh Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 08/18/18
If your a set and forget guy on a hunting rifle you should really consider the 3-15x44 VX-5HD
Posted By: azelkhuntr Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 08/18/18
No I bought 1 for a gun I'm having built it will be a medium to long range hunting gun with some dialing. Just wondering how the guys who have been using them like them if there tracking and rtz correctly. Anybody?
Posted By: Roc Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 08/18/18
No dialing on mine yet,hopefully I'll find time after the corn gets chopped.
Posted By: ShortMagFan Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 08/19/18
I’ve got one I’ve been well pleased with. Mounted on a custom 243. Dialed a good bit from 100 to 400 and back and forth (My range only goes to 400) and I gained confidence in it quickly
Posted By: shinbone Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 08/27/18
Any more user reports on the new Conquest V4 scopes?

And, what is "tunneling"? Is that a narrowed field of view? Edges of the image out of focus? Something else?
Posted By: azelkhuntr Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 08/28/18
Tunneling is a narrow field of view. Kinda like looking through a tunnel. Mine is not yet mounted but glass is better than my razor hd lh or swaro av.
Posted By: wayno945 Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 10/21/19
Anyone have a longer term review on these? Zeiss is offering a good deal on an upgrade to replace a POS Terra.
Posted By: ruraldoc Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 10/21/19
Originally Posted by wayno945
Anyone have a longer term review on these? Zeiss is offering a good deal on an upgrade to replace a POS Terra.

I have two of them. Mine are actually the 4-16x50 model. So far everything seems to work great. Clear optics and seem to track just fine. I have only sighted in at 100 yards and dialed out to about 275 yards and back a few times,but it works well. I have also dialed the scope up 20 moa and back to test RTZ.

This worked mine as well although I didn't shoot at anything 800 yards away which is 20 moa in my set up. I do plan to do that as soon as we get the corn picked and I can see that far again.
Posted By: leftycarbon Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 10/21/19
I have had one for a year and a half. Practice with it out to 700 yards. Can shoot off my deck so every now and then the local “rocks” get a workout so it gets clicked a bit.
Shot a Wyoming antelope couple of weeks ago at 363 yards and it hit right where I held.

Hopefully find a deer this week.

ITS ON A NULA ..264.

My only complaint is it’s pretty touchy as to eye position on 16X. I had it in 10 when I shot the antelope.

Overall good scope

Lefty
Posted By: oldguns Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 11/04/19
The Zeiss V4 has been out there for awhile....any reviews on them now?
Posted By: Fotis Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 08/10/20
Tracking ok?
Posted By: ShortMagFan Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 08/12/20
Mine has become my load development scope as i don’t need 16x or parallax adjustments for the hunting i do. My experience with it on several rifles from the bench has been positive - and tracking has been quite good - consistent and precise.

I also hunted it last fall on my primary deer rifle. Other than not using the upper end of the power range and the parallax adjustment (as i never needed them), it worked well.
Posted By: fremont Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 08/12/20
Originally Posted by Fotis
Tracking ok?

https://www.longrangehunting.com/th...t-4x16x44-tikka-t3x-lite-270-wsm.247152/
Posted By: specneeds Re: Zeiss V4 4-16x44 - 08/12/20
I’ve had the 6-24x50 V4 for about a year now. I loaned it to my SIL it’s First month to go on a public land Colorado elk hunt in rough terrain on a 300 Weatherby Vanguard. He dragged it up & down canyons rode in a UTV and made a very nice one shot kill of a good sized cow elk. Held up to recoil & rough treatment- once I looked through it I told him it was only a loan for the Elk hunt on his new rifle. The first night I had it was looking at the craters on the moon - very impressive glass.

It’s permanent home is on a Bergara chassis 6.5 Creedmoor I got to mess around & shoot some PRS matches. So far with Various factory & unproven reloads I’m dialing out to over 1100 yards & making reasonably consistent hits at that range using just the Zeiss phone app. Under 800 it is boringly consistent Dialing ranges with easy hits on 10”x24” metal targets, wind dependent of course. I’m still learning the Christmas tree reticle but like it so far.

My cousin has the V6 on another Bergara his set- up is as good or better than mine but the optical differences are minimal at best. He would buy the V4 doing it again but much prefers everything about the V6 to the Nightforce he had on the rifle before.
© 24hourcampfire