Home
Looking to use a VX3 4.5-14×40 AO. 1" tube, 40mm Objective.

Getting conflicting advice from vendors and manufacturers.
I recall that we've used the cheapo Weaver Quad-Locks in medium height from Walmart for $12 or so. Fit several 40mm obj scopes on a RAR Predator's factory base. Not a lot of wasted space between the bell and barrel either. You can always do the coin trick to see what height rings you need......
The pics are dead on the coin trick thread, but you can get the idea.

Coin trick for estimating ring height
Originally Posted by JPro
The pics are dead on the coin trick thread, but you can get the idea.

Coin trick for estimating ring height

JPro, thanks for the input. Sadly, the pics you had linked to photobucket on that post do not show up, due to photobucket stupidity.
Photobucket sucks. But the idea is to stack coins on your base where the rings will go (two identical stacks), position your scope atop them, about where it will need to ride for proper eye relief, and then measure the stack of coins that gives you the right simulated ring height. Then go look at Midway or somewhere at the ring heights offered and see how close you can get to the height you actually want. As long as the ring height is listed, you can mock it up almost exactly using varying stacks of change, so you never again have to buy rings that don't work.

Also, make sure your bolt handle clears the ocular at the rear when mocking up. Sometimes bolts hit oculars before the objective bell hits the barrel.
JPro, will give that a shot once I dig scope out of the back of the safe.
Anybody own a Predator 6.5 Creedmoor?
Originally Posted by local_dirt

I do
Maxima bases and mediums would handle it.

Yes.
My Ruger Americans have talley
I run Warne QD's.
EGW 20 moa base and EGW lows.....

Yes. Leupold PRW. Warne Mountain Tech. And about a zillion others ought work...
Warne QDs...
I used Warne Fixed lows on the factory base.
Not much need for qd's unless you have another scope set up in the same type rings
I do. I used Leupold, Ruger styled rings for mine with a Leupold VX-6 3-18.
ruger style rings don't work on the American.....
Another vote here for Warne fixed lows with a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40. Plenty of clearance between the bolt handle and the ocular also.
Those Warne Mountain Techs look nice. But Boy Howdy, are they proud of them.

Decided on the Leupold PRW lows. 1-800GunsandAmmo beat everybody else's price.

https://www.1800gunsandammo.com/products/leupold-prw-1-inch-low-matte-rings-54144

I have one. I haven’t mounted a scope on it yet though. Have y’all removed your stock to adjust the trigger yet?
Warne Maximas fixed and QD are my first choice for all Weaver style rings.

Or, if you want to spend less than $20, buy a set of medium height Durasight DS300 rings or B-Square Sport Utility rings. I have used both of these make/model of rings without any problems, but I would always (ALWAYS) opt for Warnes on my top/1st tier rifles.

I have B-Square Sport Utility rings on 7 of my 9 RAR-Ps, all with 10x40, 4-12x40, or 4-16x42 scopes installed. I upgraded to Warne Maximas on the 223 and 6.5 Creedmoor RAR-Ps for the rifles that I leave in the safe at our condo in Bethlehem, NH.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Warne Maximas fixed and QD are my first choice for all Weaver style rings.

Or, if you want to spend less than $20, buy a set of medium height Durasight DS300 rings or B-Square Sport Utility rings. I have used both of these make/model of rings without any problems, but I would always (ALWAYS) opt for Warnes on my top/1st tier rifles.

I have B-Square Sport Utility rings on 7 of my 9 RAR-Ps, all with 10x40, 4-12x40, or 4-16x42 scopes installed. I upgraded to Warne Maximas on the 223 and 6.5 Creedmoor RAR-Ps for the rifles that I leave in the safe at our condo in Bethlehem, NH.

260Remguy, With the Warne Maximas on your Predators that have 40mm objectives, are you using low or medium rings?

You obviously like the Predator!

This is my first one. First impression is good. Appears well made, light, nice trigger, and bolt is a lot smoother than I expected.
I'm running lows with an 8x40 AO Leupold. on a Predator 6.5 CM
I used Burris XTR Low rings on mine for a Vortex 4-15x50. Worked perfect.
© 24hourcampfire