Home
This will be going on a Barret Fieldcraft in 6.5x55

Leupold
--VX-3i 3.5-10x40 Boone and Crockett reticule

--VXR 4-12

Swarovski
--Z5 BT 3.5-18x44

--Z3 3-10x42

Night Force SHV 3-10x40 MOAR or other reticule if I can find it.

I have had Leupolds ever since 1990 and trust them. I am a set and forget kind of guy.

Never had a Swarovski. I have heard they are not that sturdy, but I have no experience with them. I don't want to go to a 50mm objective so am staying away from the BT in the Z3 line. This is reason for the Z5 if I can swing it. The BT looks simple to operate too.

I have an SHV 4-14 that I really like. The only downside to the 3-10 is weight when compared to the other scopes. Also, I am leaning towards the 1" scopes.

What do you think of these choices? Critiques. Good or bad.
I think you'll find the Swarovski to be very dependable with great optics. You may also wish to consider a Steiner GS3.
If you have a few minutes please give us a call, 516-217-1000, to discuss the different options
Sorry Doug. I appreciate the offer to help and will keep it in mind for future options, but I have too many Cabela's points to use up.
If I were going to get a Leupold for hunting it would be the VX6 HD 3-18x50 with Firedot reticle.
But I would get a Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-12.5x42 with the MOA-Dot reticle if that is enough magnification. Generally for hunting it is.
Originally Posted by RimfireArtist
If I were going to get a Leupold for hunting it would be the VX6 HD 3-18x50 with Firedot reticle.
But I would get a Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-12.5x42 with the MOA-Dot reticle if that is enough magnification. Generally for hunting it is.

May have to look at the Trijicon, but I have never seen one around here. I like my VX6 2-12, but they are a bit out of my price range at this time.
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Sorry Doug. I appreciate the offer to help and will keep it in mind for future options, but I have too many Cabela's points to use up.

No worries, you can still give a call and we can discuss what would be best and then get it from them
I use Leupold scopes a lot but I also now use Nightforce scopes plenty too. if you got the money buy Nightforce best scope made.
Weight is what is keeping me from a NF, but I might change my mind when I handle one. The rifle weighs 5.6 lbs. so would like to keep things as much in balance as possible/
Originally Posted by pete53
I use Leupold scopes a lot but I also now use Nightforce scopes plenty too. if you got the money buy Nightforce best scope made.

Curious minds want to know, what makes NF "the best made?"
Whatcha huntin', how far a shot, yada, yada, yada, buy what's the best deal within your budget.

As opposed to looking for a specific scope(s). I'll snoop around for hours on various sites kickin' tyres until I find the deal.

YMMV ...

Barrett Fieldcraft in 6.5 Creedmoor.
Heavier scope that won't shake apart from warm handholds works pretty well.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug

No worries, you can still give a call and we can discuss what would be best and then get it from them

Doug are you open on the weekends? That is about the only time I'll be able to call before heading to Cabela's.
Originally Posted by Lazrbeam

Barrett Fieldcraft in 6.5 Creedmoor.
Heavier scope that won't shake apart from warm handholds works pretty well.

[Linked Image]

Well just shooting it without a scope on felt like shooting a 8 lb. 30-06 to me.
Originally Posted by dasundas
Whatcha huntin', how far a shot, yada, yada, yada, buy what's the best deal within your budget.

As opposed to looking for a specific scope(s). I'll snoop around for hours on various sites kickin' tyres until I find the deal.

YMMV ...

Been kicking the tires for awhile in this subject. The ones mentioned are what I came up with. Normally I'd just go buy a Leupold and be done with it. Thinking of branching out a bit though.

Just a Hunter
Well just shooting it without a scope on felt like shooting a 8 lb. 30-06 to me.

Crank her up with a max load of Reloader 26 and a 147 ELD-M bullet.
My 18 inch barreled model had some muzzle rise.

I also like the higher magnification as these eyes are not getting younger.
Good luck with your search.
You offered five options and I've nothing against any. All I'm saying is that perhaps if you looked around differing vendors you might run across something else similar though heavily discounted. Maybe an older scope that was rated higher/more expensive at one time that price has dropped into current range or was considered equal and price drops below current range you've listed. Demo/open box/discontinued/post x-mas yr-end inventory/going out of business for the 12th consecutive yr whatever.

I'm not saying you haven't, but I'm looking more at a price range. I have an idea what scope(s) that I like, yet I'm curious if I've overlooked something that perhaps I didn't even know was available. Of course that's a good way for me to end up w/more glass than places to mount.

I have to give you credit as you know the rifle. I'm finding deals wondering after the fact how I might use the glass.
That's a terrible vice (buying scopes just because they're a good deal). I was able to quit that, and now only have two extras that need guns under them.
Some scopes have bigger European type focusing in the back than I am used to. Does the bolt hit or come close to hitting some of them when lifted?
If you want to keep that Fieldcraft nimble and handy, the VX-3i is the way to go. I sold one because I had several spares on hand, but it never gave me any trouble. Long tube and eye-relief make mounting easy on long actions. Another one I like from afar is the Trijicon 3-9 with tritium duplex.

If you're willing to go heavier for reliability, that SHV you listed would be the one, but I like the plex for what I do.
Swaro 3-10
Just a heads up there's a link in the classified for the leupold vx3i 3.5-10 for $231 shipped today (ebay $15% off code). I couldn't resist, I guess it will go on that $250 weatherby I couldn't resist during the walmart blowout. Pretty nice "backup gun"
It’s in the crazy Vx3i prices thread.

Follow the link

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...ulous-price-on-vx-3i-scopes#Post13360688

to the seller offering instant 15% off plus use eBays 15% code of PERFECTGAME to get an additional 15% off.
This will be going on a Barret Fieldcraft in 6.5x55

Leupold
--VX-3i 3.5-10x40 Boone and Crockett reticule

--VXR 4-12

Swarovski
--Z5 BT 3.5-18x44

--Z3 3-10x42

Night Force SHV 3-10x40 MOAR or other reticule if I can find it.

I have had Leupolds ever since 1990 and trust them. I am a set and forget kind of guy.

Never had a Swarovski. I have heard they are not that sturdy, but I have no experience with them. I don't want to go to a 50mm objective so am staying away from the BT in the Z3 line. This is reason for the Z5 if I can swing it. The BT looks simple to operate too.

I have an SHV 4-14 that I really like. The only downside to the 3-10 is weight when compared to the other scopes. Also, I am leaning towards the 1" scopes.

What do you think of these choices? Critiques. Good or bad.

Though I have not owned one, the SHV 3-10 would be my first choice among what you listed.

Second would the VXR 4-12. I like mine better than than the VX3's I have or have had.

If you decide on the 3.5-10, I have one with duplex reticle for sale in the classifieds.
Originally Posted by Sevastopol
That's a terrible vice (buying scopes just because they're a good deal). ...

So...it isn't just me huh ?

There is a Weaver Slam I really don't need but ...
Sightron SIIISS3510x44LRMD and be done with it.
I love my Swarovski
If I wasn’t going to be doing any dialing I couldn’t see going with a 30mm tube.

I’d probably go VX3 3.5-10 or FX3 6x42 and be done.
You might throw the Vortex Razor LH scopes in the mix, I’m happy with mine!
I have too many Cabela's points to use up.

That changes the equation. I found an inexpensive Nikon Monarch 5 ED 2-10x42 1" BDC for 270, shipping not included. Not a huge FOV yes MIP & discontinued. But, for brand spankin' new w/warranty that isn't a bad deal.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/...l#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-Overview

A yr or so ago I paid 311 for a 1" 3-12 Monarch 3 BDC FFP SF, but no ED glass & a wee bit less fov than the Monarch 5. The spot on reticle is kinda kewl.
Originally Posted by Aviator
You might throw the Vortex Razor LH scopes in the mix, I’m happy with mine!

+1, If the 2-10x40 Razor HD LH with the G4 reticle appeals to you, Vortex is discontinuing that model and it can be had for a very good discount. I picked one up from a local shop for a fantastic deal. Was not real sure about the reticle but after using it for a couple weeks I'm really liking it. The hash marks work out nearly perfect with my Kimber 6.5 CM and the view is breathtaking. I was never much of a Vortex fan and always found their scope to be a bit dark compared to equally priced Nikon or Leupold, but this Razor has changed my opinion. If interested PM me and I'll put you in touch with the shop that hooked me up.
I have ~100 scopes good enough to get on my spreadsheet. I also have ~~ 100 take off scopes I will never use.
I have ~ 39 Leupold scopes.

I have been building rifles for 53 years.

In 2018 the hunting rifles I was building had scopes:
S&B 3-20x50 PM II
Leupold VX-6HD 3x18x44
Sightron Siii 2.5x10x44
Sightron Siii 2.5x10x44
Leupold VX freedom rimfire 2x7x33
IOR 2.5x10x42
Leupold VX-3 3.5x10x40 CDS

I was building 7 rifles and had 11 tags.

Things didn't work out as planned.

The VX-6 killed 4 animals.
The VX freedom killed one animal.
I was able to look at the scopes I listed,. Well all but the Night Force. They didn't have one instock. I really wanted to like the Swarovskis, but to my eye the Leupolds were sharper and clearer. The didn't have a 3,5-10 with B&C reticule are I would have bought one. So I'll have to order it.
© 24hourcampfire