Home
Posted By: Rolly Emptying your pot - 01/04/24
I read frequently of casters emptying their casting pot when finished casting for the day . I leave my unused lead in the pot from one session to the next. Why do some empty the pot when done with a day of casting?
Posted By: Orerancher Re: Emptying your pot - 01/05/24
I only have one pot, I always empty it, I might want to cast a different alloy the next time...
Posted By: memtb Re: Emptying your pot - 01/05/24
Never have. Whatever is left in the pot at the end of the casting session….is left in the pot! 😉 memtb
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Emptying your pot - 01/05/24
I try to leave about 3/4 of an inch in the bottom.

It seems to help the pot get up to temp somewhat faster than empty and what is leftover don't make no difference to the next pot.

But i don't use stuff from Roto metals or the like i make it as i go with the stock that i have.
Posted By: ring3 Re: Emptying your pot - 01/05/24
Unless I want to clean up the pot or spout an inch or less is always left. As already said, the residual seems to melt quicker for the addition of fresh metal.
Posted By: WStrayer Re: Emptying your pot - 01/05/24
I leave some in it. Once it cools, takes a marker and identify the contents on the top of the cooled metal.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Emptying your pot - 01/05/24
I drain my pots quite often because of the different alloys I mess with, but that's the only reason why I do. It does provide opportunity to scrub/scrape away the schmeck that accumulates on the sides and bottom, the severity of which is determined by how clean the stuff is that goes in in the first place.
Posted By: lightman Re: Emptying your pot - 01/06/24
I hardly ever empty mine.
Posted By: MickinColo Re: Emptying your pot - 01/07/24
I've only empty the bottom pore to scrape down the sides and spout assembly.
Posted By: davesonic444 Re: Emptying your pot - 02/23/24
I empty mine.
Posted By: Feral_American Re: Emptying your pot - 02/28/24
I always stop a couple ingots short of emptying the pot doing ladle pour. I never know what I'm going to cast next session so I pour what's left back into the ingot mold, stamp the alloy when it's cooled, and don't have a single thought about it until next time. Just seems more practical that way with multiple alloys.
Posted By: shaman Re: Emptying your pot - 03/22/24
I always cast out what's left into an ingot mold, turn off the pot and invert it to get the last dregs out. My casting is rather binary. I'm either casting soft lead for the muzzleloaders or hard alloys for pistols and PC carbines, and it has come to be in one or two sessions of each a year, and it is seldom I cast the same twice in a row.
Posted By: kingstrider Re: Emptying your pot - 03/23/24
I mostly use range scrap but only drain the pot if I'm going to cast pure lead for the muzzleloaders. Maybe once every few years.
Posted By: WStrayer Re: Emptying your pot - 03/23/24
I find it eay to leave the pot full. When cool write the contents on the lead with a marker.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Emptying your pot - 03/23/24
I've only recently taken to using two bottom pour furnaces and strive to keep the same alloys going in both of them. Not always, but mostly. I use a hand ladle and cast iron pot for short runs of different alloys, match grade bullets for in my target rifles, experiments, testing, and general fooling around. (And sometimes to make a pot of soup to eat while casting a couple thousand out of one of the bottom pour furnaces. whistle laugh )
Posted By: Reloader762 Re: Emptying your pot - 03/27/24
I always leave a little in the bottom of the pot. I pretty much use the same alloy mix all the time and even if I change up the alloy somewhat there isn't enough to make any big difference in the final BHN of the alloy. About the only time I really empty the pot is to just give it a good cleaning.
© 24hourcampfire