Home
Posted By: Big Mag Shooter Flux - 06/02/08
What do you use for flux?
Posted By: Stillwater Re: Flux - 06/02/08
There are almost as many lead bullet melt flux's as their are bullet lubes...

I usually use a piece of of the cheapest bullet lube I can find, to flux with. I stir the pot well when I put the bullet lube it in.

I have even used sawdust to flux with and it has worked well.

However, a piece of left over bullet lube works as well as anything...!

Bill

Posted By: Red44spl Re: Flux - 06/02/08
parafin, bullet lube and occasionally marvelux
Posted By: arkypete Re: Flux - 06/03/08
Old candles, the wax from canned jellies, Most any lard, fat will do.

Jim
Posted By: 340mag Re: Flux - 06/03/08
"DROSS" the crap that floats and your fluxing, is in most cases a mix of oxidized metal and impurities , parafin (canning wax available at most grocerys) will work as a flux, limiting the dross, just skim of the remaining DROSS as it forms after fluxing the mix as thats usually mostly crap mixed with the lead "impurities" it smokes badly unless you ignite the smoke with a flame, and its best done outside in a slight breeze, not in an enclosed garage or someplace with limited air flow, throw the dross in a NON flamable container like a large tin can, plastic or cardboard tends to have problems with molten slag/heat and melts or ignites
Posted By: HawkI Re: Flux - 06/04/08
Pine pitch or rosin makes it shiny, but re-used candles are more pleasant. Light both with flame.
Posted By: Big Mag Shooter Re: Flux - 06/04/08
old candles is my stand by just wanted to know what's commonly used out there. Seems to be whatevers available.
Posted By: Dew Re: Flux - 06/17/08
I tried a number of things over the last 30 years or so of casting. Now the only flux I use is plain hardwood sawdust. Works as well as the rest and is free.

dew
© 24hourcampfire