Home
Posted By: Swampman1 Cast These Today - 01/19/12
I cast a bunch of these bullets today. The molds are old Ideal molds probably from the 1940s-1950s as is the Lyman Model 61 casting pot. The bullet on the left is a #429421 (.44 Magnum or Special) and the one on the right is a #454190 (original 1870s design for the .45 Colt.)[Linked Image]
Posted By: Creeker Re: Cast These Today - 01/19/12
I love the old 45 bullet.
Posted By: sharps4590 Re: Cast These Today - 01/19/12
Fine bullets both.
Posted By: Reloader762 Re: Cast These Today - 01/20/12
Nice bullets,if the tax man is nice to me this year I'm going to own me a big bore handgun of some sorts. I love my 357 Mag. but I love throwing some big chunks of lead around on occasion.
Posted By: KyWindageII Re: Cast These Today - 01/23/12
Nice bullets but I believe your 429421 is from the 1960s. That's when they went to the round bottom grease groove as opposed the Keith's original square bottom. I purchased that same mould as a kid about 1962 and a letter from Mr. Keith advised I had "been robbed" as Lyman ruined his design. Many years later I acquired a CBI Original Keith with square cut groove and truthfully I can't tell any difference between the two as to accuracy. These days I use the LBT mould more because it it is easier to cast with!
Posted By: Swampman1 Re: Cast These Today - 01/23/12
This is an Ideal Mold. Both styles were produced off and on over the years. Elmer was always angry that everyone changed his designs to make them easier to produce. They all shoot just fine for me.
Posted By: Creeker Re: Cast These Today - 01/23/12
Originally Posted by Swampman1
They all shoot just fine for me.

My findings also. I had a 358429 mould with a round lube groove & now have one with a square groove. I can tell no difference on paper.
Posted By: TwentyTwo Re: Cast These Today - 02/23/12
KyWindageII, Swampman1 and Creeker:

Thank you for your observation that Lyman 429421 (KyWindageII and Swampman1) and Lyman 358429 (Creeker) shoot about the same whether the lubricant groove is round or square.

Another myth slain by simple facts.
Posted By: anachronism Re: Cast These Today - 02/24/12
Although I really feel the reduced diameter of the front driving band was Lymans biggest mistake.
© 24hourcampfire