Home
Posted By: beefan Needing cast bullet for 9.3 - 04/14/12
I need a cast bullet that will work in a Ruger #1 9.3x74R. I'm not a caster and commercial sources appear quite limited.

Anyone out there casting .366/.367 bullets of 250 to 300 gr.?

Feedback welcome.

beefan
I have Grasshoppers molds a 250 PB and a 270PB with his permission will cast and send you a few to try. I have a 280 GC mold on order and will send some when it get here. More info as what you want to do would be helpful as far as hardness. Clint
Posted By: beefan Re: Needing cast bullet for 9.3 - 04/15/12
A considerate offer indeed! A PM to you, Sir.
Originally Posted by clintsfolly
I have Grasshoppers molds a 250 PB and a 270PB with his permission will cast and send you a few to try. I have a 280 GC mold on order and will send some when it get here. More info as what you want to do would be helpful as far as hardness. Clint

Permission granted! smile
Posted By: Jensen Re: Needing cast bullet for 9.3 - 05/11/12
If you are interested in trying some of mine I have LBT 250 grain gas checked bullets lubed with LBT blue. I push them to 2400fps in my 9.3x74R merkel double.
PM me your address.
Warning: I don't have a lot of posts so I may not be trustworthy.
Carl
Posted By: beefan Re: Needing cast bullet for 9.3 - 05/13/12
A very nice offer! PM to you.
Posted By: Jensen Re: Needing cast bullet for 9.3 - 05/14/12
I will get a couple dozen off to you.

Have you considered how you will tackle the neck expanding to facilitate cast bullet seating?

Carl
needle nose pliers, is my suggestion. smile
Posted By: beefan Re: Needing cast bullet for 9.3 - 05/16/12
Thanks, Jensen. A PM to you. I have tinkered with a .375 cal. Nosler Accubond inserted tip first. I believe that would work-though the question of case to case consistency comes up.

blammer, I'll try that, Thanks.
Posted By: Otis Re: Needing cast bullet for 9.3 - 05/29/12
My NOE mold shipped today and will be here in a few days. It cast 280 gr. Plain Base or Gas Checked. I can't wait to cast some, I shoot a 9.3x62, but I'm sure they will work in the x74 too. I cast a few and see what they look like. If you like will ship you some so you can try them out. Cast bullets are a hoot to load and shoot.
I would be inclined to try a Lymsn 358009 mould normally used for 35 cal. and paper patch relatively soft 287 grain bullets to appropriate diameter and push them at full 9.3 velocity for that weight bullet. Would likely shoot as well as jacketed bullets and would be very effective on game.
Posted By: GSSP Re: Needing cast bullet for 9.3 - 06/23/12
Originally Posted by Jensen
I will get a couple dozen off to you.

Have you considered how you will tackle the neck expanding to facilitate cast bullet seating?

Carl

Buffalo Arms makes custom expanders.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=158345&TERM=.367

I have one for my Redding seater die. Simply screw out the seater stem, screw in the expander and run each case through.

Alan
A couple things I've learned trying to load cast bullets in my 9.3x74's. Two warnings: First, be extremely careful that you don't double charge those small charges. Second, be careful with small charges, you can get erratic pressures if the charges are at the front of the case. I saw a note about that from somewhere, I think it was in Handloader magazine, I thought that was stupid, until it happened to me. There was a strange bang, the primer flattened, and the machine marks from the face were very clear on the face of the case, big shiny ring, and it took a cleaning rod to get the case out. I shy away from them, now. Way back when, I used a square of toilet paper or a bit of polyfill in the Whelen with cast loads and never had any problems. But again I read of issues with fillers and haven't used them in more than 25 years. I've not used fillers inthe 9.3.
For opening the neck of the case, use a 375 expander button. set it to just open the first part of the case neck. I'm using a Lyman 250 grain plain base mold, and have had my best luck so far with Trail Boss. Accuracy was good enough and but velocities are apparently low. I haven't chronographed them yet, but they take time to get to the 100 yard target. I did not get good accuracy in my guns with 4759. I can't push mine very fast because of the plain base. It's still a work in progress.
Bfly
Posted By: Jensen Re: Needing cast bullet for 9.3 - 07/03/12
Originally Posted by Blackfly1
A couple things I've learned trying to load cast bullets in my 9.3x74's. Two warnings: First, be extremely careful that you don't double charge those small charges. Second, be careful with small charges, you can get erratic pressures if the charges are at the front of the case. I saw a note about that from somewhere, I think it was in Handloader magazine, I thought that was stupid, until it happened to me. There was a strange bang, the primer flattened, and the machine marks from the face were very clear on the face of the case, big shiny ring, and it took a cleaning rod to get the case out. I shy away from them, now. Way back when, I used a square of toilet paper or a bit of polyfill in the Whelen with cast loads and never had any problems. But again I read of issues with fillers and haven't used them in more than 25 years. I've not used fillers inthe 9.3.
For opening the neck of the case, use a 375 expander button. set it to just open the first part of the case neck. I'm using a Lyman 250 grain plain base mold, and have had my best luck so far with Trail Boss. Accuracy was good enough and but velocities are apparently low. I haven't chronographed them yet, but they take time to get to the 100 yard target. I did not get good accuracy in my guns with 4759. I can't push mine very fast because of the plain base. It's still a work in progress.
Bfly

All these problems go away when you use 55 grains of 4064. Not much room left in the case. 250 grn gc lbt lfn.
Go over to www.castboolits.com

There is a fellow there who makes wonderful molds for the 9.3 cut to use .375 gas checks.
Believe it or not they are better quality than NEI which has always been my "go to" mold for dozens of caliber.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=111344

I use it in the 9.3x62 with either trail boss or 4198 with good old cornmeal to create a compressed load. 1400-1600 fps. Comfortable, accurate and would kill any thin skinned game at 200 yards and under very well. Kills "cull" cattle like the hammer of Thor.

If you cast it really hard and pushed it at 2000 you would have the old 35 Winchester which worked just fine.

© 24hourcampfire