Home
Posted By: Czech_Made Recycling batteries? - 01/17/14
Crazy idea, but anybody recycled car battery into bullets?

Take it apart, neutralize, wash it, smelt it and cast?

I was in charge of a battery charging facility in the military, we would be always fixing batteries - means I know and seen and used what's inside of one.
Posted By: novalty Re: Recycling batteries? - 01/17/14
The general impression I get from most people, is not to take the chance at dealing with the toxic chemicals that would be associated with trying to remove lead from batteries.
Posted By: Czech_Made Re: Recycling batteries? - 01/17/14
There is H2SO4 in 30% concentration, yes, you should not drink it, but in school we did chemical classes with higher concentration when I was 12 year old. Also it can be easily neutralized using chemicals available in every kitchen.

Led is indeed poisonous, but if you cast bullets, you know it will not kill you on touch.

In the military we would take batteries apart and exchange led plates for old plates an daily bases.
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: Recycling batteries? - 01/17/14
I know it can be done as I've purchased lead from some battery recycling facilities in the past but as far as the individual is concerned I think there are better,easier and safer ways of procuring shooting lead.
Posted By: Czech_Made Re: Recycling batteries? - 01/17/14
Seems like there is more to it than lead:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...battery-scrap-to-lead-ingots-for-bullets

This is old tractor battery, not one of the new things, I will evaluate the LEO first smile
Posted By: selmer Re: Recycling batteries? - 01/17/14
It's not worth the trouble. Others have tried and the end result is less than a couple of pounds of lead and the risk of a multitude of toxic fumes rising into your face. Fixing batteries is different than heating the contents of the innards up to 700 degrees fahrenheit.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Recycling batteries? - 01/17/14
I have heard enough plausible warnings from knowledgeable people over the years to not want to do it. Why risk injury/death for just a couple pounds of lead. Just go to the scrap yard and buy a couple pounds.
Posted By: ClarkEMyers Re: Recycling batteries? - 01/20/14
Don't do it.

Once upon a time it was relatively safe and easy and common. I've used lead from only 1 battery though sometime in the 1960's.

The acid is not the issue.

The introduction of maintenance free later more or less sealed batteries included changes in the lead alloy. It's not safe and it doesn't give much lead after jumping through hoops to do it safely. Currently used batteries typically have some turn in value some have a recycling fee built in to new battery sales and other such that will allow buying as much good alloy as junking out the battery will ever produce.
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Recycling batteries? - 01/21/14
According to sources such as Lyman, batteries might contain alloys including very toxic metals like cadmium. Aside from not knowing what you're alloying with otherwise perfectly good billet casting metal, I don't believe the health risks of unknown metals makes it worthwhile.
Posted By: lastround Re: Recycling batteries? - 01/21/14
It's not worth it for no more lead than you get.
Posted By: HawkI Re: Recycling batteries? - 01/22/14
Most are alloyed with calcium to retard the discharge rate.

Melted down with moisture or high humidity it can produce some type of gas that in certain ppm can kill you.

Plus, it also creates another intermetallic compound that leaves a frothy, purple residue and alters the other metal compounds.

In other words, its a dangerous contamination of anything its allowed to alloy with for the home caster.
Posted By: Nessmuk Re: Recycling batteries? - 02/25/14
Try asking at the recycling center where you take scrap metals. they will often sell you scrap lead.
I run ads in the local papers and radio free venues. I've already more than I'll likely use on my own.
Posted By: TopCat Re: Recycling batteries? - 02/26/14
The terminals are the only salvageable part...pretty much pure lead though.
When I was a kid we would run over the old tractor batteries whit a tractor let the acid soak into the ground pick the lead out and melt it in a cast iron frying pan with dads cutting torch. In the shop without ventilation of corse. Then we moulded them into sinkers.
I think the battery lead would be way to soft for bullets. But great for muzzleloader.
Ruined a good pair of 501's doing this way back when, got enough lead for about 5 bullets (darn little lead in a battery other than the terminals). Then read that low maintenance batteries have cadmium or some such highly toxic element, concluded that it wasn't even close to worth the effort.
Posted By: HawkI Re: Recycling batteries? - 03/21/14
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Ruined a good pair of 501's doing this way back when, got enough lead for about 5 bullets (darn little lead in a battery other than the terminals). Then read that low maintenance batteries have cadmium or some such highly toxic element, concluded that it wasn't even close to worth the effort.

Its calcium, but all very true.

Old school batteries were fine.
Posted By: badbob Re: Recycling batteries? - 04/02/14
poison fumes / extreme poison fumes , dont take the chance with yourself or your loved ones , the terminals are lead and safe but no plates there are a few toxins i cant remember the names
Posted By: savage24 Re: Recycling batteries? - 06/01/14
How to get lead from batteries:

step 1: Sell batteries to scrap dealer.

step 2: With proceeds from step 1, purchase lead from scrap dealer.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Recycling batteries? - 06/01/14
Little Willie was a chemist.
Little Willie is no more.
What he thought was H2O
Was really H2SO4.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Recycling batteries? - 06/01/14
I melted down an old battery many years ago, and got more smoke than lead.
I'm in no mood to do it again.
Posted By: TopCat Re: Recycling batteries? - 06/02/14
I had about a dozen batteries I was collecting that I was going to rip out the terminals and scrap the bodies...when I got around to it. My son-in-law came by one day to do a little clean-up and assumed I wanted them gone, so without telling me he recycled them.

He got nearly $200 for the bunch. That's equivalent to about 200# of lead scrap if purchased from the same recycler, and the battery terminals would only have been about 20#, so as it turns out, he had the right idea.

I still hassle him about it though...
Posted By: jesi Re: Recycling batteries? - 06/26/14
No. I don�t think you should even think of it! Car batteries contain toxic chemicals and playing with them can be anything but safe. If you want to recycle car batteries, just take them down to a scrap recycling facility like the Sims scrap yard in Jersey City. I came to know of them after I read about their gun buyback program here. They do accept automobile parts, so recycling your car battery would be a good idea!
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Recycling batteries? - 06/28/14
The risk is the generation of a deadly compound known as stibine. It's a bad deal and best avoided.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Recycling batteries? - 07/03/14
Originally Posted by TopCat
I had about a dozen batteries I was collecting that I was going to rip out the terminals and scrap the bodies...when I got around to it. My son-in-law came by one day to do a little clean-up and assumed I wanted them gone, so without telling me he recycled them.

He got nearly $200 for the bunch. That's equivalent to about 200# of lead scrap if purchased from the same recycler, and the battery terminals would only have been about 20#, so as it turns out, he had the right idea.

I still hassle him about it though...

I just took a few batteries to a scrap yard. I should've taken them to the local Autozone instead as they pay about $10 each and the scrap yard only paid 5 cents a pound. frown

I did make out pretty well with a couple hundred pounds of scrap copper I took back, though, leaving the yard with a check for nearly $500. smile
Posted By: slumlord Re: Recycling batteries? - 08/05/14
Yeah dont be melting them car batteries down, it'll change your family tree.
© 24hourcampfire