Home
Posted By: frank602 Paper patch bullets - 02/14/14
Can lead bullets be pushed to faster velocity by wrapping them in paper? Lets say for example = a 150grn. paper patch bullet loaded in a 30-06 can reach the same velocity as a copper jacketed bullet? Does anybody out there reload with there own paper patch bullets?
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Paper patch bullets - 02/14/14
Yes and yes.

I don't do the -06, but I do paper patch. A very general rule of thumb has it that patched dead soft lead can reach 2,000 fps before things go sideways and harder alloys can do 3,000 fps or more. YMMV. I've shot patched pure lead up to slightly over 1600 fps in a .44 Mag with MOA accuracy and 1,800 fps in a .45-70 with like accuracy.

I don't know there's much point in driving soft alloy fast cause they get flat in a hurry when they collide with meat and bone.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: frank602 Re: Paper patch bullets - 02/14/14
Dan, Can you use cast bullets with grease grooves and wrap paper around it? Or is the mold design different for paper patch. Thanks for your input. Frank
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Paper patch bullets - 02/14/14
Lot of folks do that but I never have. The most important thing about shooting lead bullets is fit and that includes paper patch. Too much sizing will hurt accuracy as will too much paper. Get yourself a copy of Paul Matthews' book "The Paper Jacket". It isn't the last word but it is an excellent primer.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Paper patch bullets - 02/14/14
Final diameter of the paper patched bullet (correct me if I'm wrong, Dan) should be bore diameter, not groove diameter. So I would think that if one used a regular lube-ringed bullet, one would have to size it down a lot for a paper patch to work, no?

I've been following threads on the subject for a while but have yet to venture into it. I wonder if anybody has been crazy enough to try paper patching .22 cast bullets?
Posted By: frank602 Re: Paper patch bullets - 02/14/14
I'm thinking out loud, of rolling a lead bullet in a zig zag paper then resizing it in the press.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Paper patch bullets - 02/15/14
gnoahhh, you're not wrong for black powder patching. For smokeless make the finished bullet groove to groove + .001. If you use #9 onionskin and your grooves are .004" deep that will have you starting with a bore diameter bullet and patching up to groove dimensions

If your bullet is swagged or cast to proper diameter you can avoid sizing altogether. I have never sized a patched bullet. If one is inclined to size conventional GG bullets for this purpose I'd suggest doing that on the front end and avoiding sizing after the fact. It serves no purpose.
Posted By: Jocko_Slugshot Re: Paper patch bullets - 02/18/14
Can you substitute teflon plumbing tape for the paper patching?

It's very thin and an excellent lube.

Ain't that what the pioneers used?

Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Paper patch bullets - 02/19/14
About thirty years ago, or so, just after teflon tape appeared, I read an article on patching with teflon tape, but I never heard why it was dropped as a method of jacketing lead slugs.

Anyone here ever try it?

Ed
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Paper patch bullets - 02/20/14
Some claim good results with Teflon, many do not. Never walked that trail myself but would suggest it isn't what you want to start with. It is a bit stretchy and dims are critical for patch shooting.

OTOH I've read of some using Teflon treated paper with excellent results.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Paper patch bullets - 04/27/14
tried Teflon and it always rolled when seating the bullet. onion skin applied properly is skin tight so's to speak.
have used zig zag's in a pinch.(but I didn't inhale)lol
Posted By: VonGruff Re: Paper patch bullets - 04/28/14
I use dress making pattern paper and a double wrap on a bullet cast from a lapped out 457-450F Lee die that has been pan lubed gives me a 465gn bullet for my 577-450 and it shoots better than just OK
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rovering Re: Paper patch bullets - 04/28/14
Could cast bullets for 35 caliber rifles be paper patched for use in 9.3mm rifles?
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Paper patch bullets - 04/28/14
should work as 9.3=.366142"
.366-.358=.008
wrap for effect.
Posted By: Rovering Re: Paper patch bullets - 04/28/14
Thanks for the advice.

As soon as I can learn paper patching, this should again give me a cast option in 9.3mm.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Paper patch bullets - 04/30/14
watch out it is addicting once you get something together that works. satisfaction is unequaled as you have produced something unlike anything someone else has. might be close, but this one is "MINE"
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Paper patch bullets - 05/03/14
P.E.T.A. approves of paper patched soft lead, but only for tasty animals.
Posted By: frank602 Re: Paper patch bullets - 05/07/14
VonGruff, I like your reloads, beautiful. Do you shoot a Martini?
Posted By: VonGruff Re: Paper patch bullets - 05/07/14
Yes this one in 577-450
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...rinn_Henry_577_450_refurbish#Post8832527

And a Artillery carbine in 303 that I completed a few months back
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?226756-A-Martini-Enfield-303-again
Posted By: Creeker Re: Paper patch bullets - 05/10/14
VonGruff is da-man. cool
Posted By: frank602 Re: Paper patch bullets - 05/10/14
Yes, da-man. Didn't know martini made one in 303. Very nice guns.
Posted By: VonGruff Re: Paper patch bullets - 05/11/14
Thanks guys. I have really enjoyed bringing these two back to life and they shoot exceptionally well which is always a bonus.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Paper patch bullets - 06/19/14
[Linked Image]45110cart by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Paper patch bullets - 06/19/14
Nice soldiers, all in rows.
© 24hourcampfire