Home
Posted By: Gristle Done... - 03/30/14
[Linked Image]

Now I need to have a melting party. Have been sorting these on and off for a couple of weeks as time allowed. I would guess I had 50 lbs of zinc and iron trash in the mix. I have another 10 gallons to pick up at a local tire shop now.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Done... - 03/31/14
I have three five gallon buckets, each roughly 2/3 full, sitting on my garage floor waiting to be sorted.
All I need is time... grin

Ed
Posted By: Creeker Re: Done... - 03/31/14
Ya doin' good.
Posted By: Gristle Re: Done... - 03/31/14
The middle bucket is all clip ons while the two outer ones are the stick on wheel weights. I'm gonna guess there is around 150-175 lbs of stuff to melt down.
Posted By: TopCat Re: Done... - 03/31/14
I would melt the two different types in separate smelts, and end up with two separate piles of ingots, because the lead alloy is different between the clip-ons and the stick-ons. That way you can blend alloys accurately in the final mix.
Posted By: novalty Re: Done... - 03/31/14
These were my last 2 hauls: 200lbs sorted in the buckets, and about 300lbs in the jugs.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Started melting down to 200lbs, and got about 130 - 140lbs done in a couple hours a few weeks ago.
[Linked Image]

Plus went through the jugs and found about 20lbs of zinc, steel, iron, valve stems, nuts and bolts. So now I have about 340lbs of sorted lead. Going to have to spread that over a couple session, for the sake of my back.

Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Done... - 03/31/14
Are you guys selling the zinc and iron wheel weights to a recycler? If so, what's the going rate for zinc?

Ed
Posted By: lightman Re: Done... - 04/02/14
I just finished smelting a large batch of cable sheathing that I scored and started sorting wheel weights. What a PITA! Its not hard, just boring. I'm working my way thru 600-800#, and hoping to get finished in time to smelt them before it gets really hot. I had a pretty good year scrounging, last year, and hoping for a good year, this year. Lightman
Posted By: 35WhelenNut Re: Done... - 04/08/14
I'd suggest "Smelt Sorting". Keep your alloy temps 650� (Zinc melts @ 785�)or so and the steel and zinc weights will magically float to the top where you skim them off. Easy breezy.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Done... - 04/08/14
"Smelting" is the process by which metal is extracted from raw ore. Melting lead wheel weights into ingot form is, well, melting lead.
Posted By: blammer Re: Done... - 04/11/14
Well I extract the metal out of the pile of gunk, so I call it smelting. smile
© 24hourcampfire