Home
I use old candles the wife don't want anymore.
Bullet lube works great, like the blue stuff you use to lube cast bullets. The red bullet lube works great too.
Fine dry sawdust works great.
I stir with a piece of very rich heart pine. I get the best of both worlds, resin that literally boils out of the wood, and the wood itself. Makes for very clean alloy.

Ed
sawdust chipper wood and candle wax all works good , i have even used dried leaves
Canning parafin, candle stubs, left over b'day candles, bullet lube.
they all work.

Jim
Dry sawdust, flux 3 times per batch.
A pea sized chunk of beeswax, stirred in, and lit with a match when it starts to smoke.
Mavelflux for indoors bullet casting.
Many things when meting and fluxing for ingots outdoors.
Flux with pine sawdust
Reduce with candle wax

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Chapter_4_Fluxing.htm
Used moter oil good way to use it up and cleans real good. Clint
Wood dowel. It's nice to be able to use your 'flux' to scrape the sides of your pot.
Cedar dust
I use anything that will burn.

Sawdust, beeswax, slum gum, candles, paper, whatever is handy. smile
Anything but Marvelux...sticky, gummy, junk.
Originally Posted by Creeker
Fine dry sawdust works great.

Yep, I just reach under the table saw and grab a handful. Handy, plentiful and effective.
liberals. Dried and powdered.

(actually saw dust, or the sap resin from the peach tree just outside my shop)
Originally Posted by RWE

I find liberals too hard to clean. It's that mile wide mud vein they have. shocked
And the smell would be overpowering.
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Originally Posted by RWE

I find liberals too hard to clean. It's that mile wide mud vein they have. shocked

You guys must be using the rare "pin-head" species. The "fat-head" species we have here are too big to process, much less stick in the dehydrator.

Ed
Originally Posted by RWE

I don't understand, why would you want your bullets to smell like chit??
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by RWE

For those who like the "Texas Heart Shot". grin

Ed
It's a cover scent.

The hogs think they've found a mate.

Then WHAM! Hammer of Thor....
LMAO!
Originally Posted by RWE
It's a cover scent.

The hogs think they've found a mate.

Then WHAM! Hammer of Thor....

I wanna shoot a pig so bad I can taste it........Damn, I sure do love bacon.
Paraffin has worked well for me.
One time I found a small metal box in a bucket of WW ,s inside was these small thin papers and this funny smelling green herb it all made great flux but all the boolits shot just a little high in the target:). Clint
You've been in the woods too long Clint.
But I am happier there! Will have to get the wife to help me and post a pic of the cabin. How. Have you been Creeker? Clint
Retired & doing well. Sometimes I do miss casting every day though but I'll get over it. HEE HEE

Would love to see the cabin.
Grease
Great thread. Best wishes to Creeker. Lots of ways to get good smelling bullets, I see.
Originally Posted by beefan
Great thread. Best wishes to Creeker. Lots of ways to get good smelling bullets, I see.

Thanks. Being retired is great, headed to Maine. whistle
Originally Posted by JSH
Wood dowel. It's nice to be able to use your 'flux' to scrape the sides of your pot.

This.

Mine is an old hickory hammer handle. Every so often I add a pea size piece of bees wax as well.

Sawdust and the leftover crayons given to my children when we eat at a restaurant.
Dried pitch chunks from scars on Yellow Pines, Red Fir or W. Larch. Throw a piece in, stir, when it smokes light it w/a BBQ lighter and stir/scrape till no more flames, skim and cast- Muddy
My daughter's broken crayons seem to work well.
Crayons, candle wax when casting. When smelting ww, I stir in saw dust as well for the first of two fluxes.
I use canning paraffin and often keep a layer of dry pine sawdust on top of the melt. Keeps surface oxidation down and smells better than the wax based fluxes. I tried commercial fluxes, but they crudded up the pot and solidified in the container. Not worth the money imho.
I use paraffin or sawdust. I ran out of the latter a while back and had a bunch of dry oak leaves on the patio. They worked really well.

I spent 8 years working in a solder factory. We'd cast 20-70 lb billets of alloy. A lot of the ideas from that place seem to carry over into bullet casting. What we used to flux the big 600 lbs pots of alloy was chunk charcoal. They used to buy it by the truck load, and I'd buy a few bags off work here and there for BBQ'n. It was great stuff, and really cleaned up the melt in a hurry.

Next time I need it I'm going to let Deflave flux my lead. I heard he's a pro.
Doesn't that make for sticky bullets?
-Laffin'-
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by RWE

Muslims works better than pork!
© 24hourcampfire