Home
Posted By: selmer More .30-40 Krag results - 04/15/14
I finished up load development with the powders I have on hand that I thought would work well for my .30-40 Krag. All were shot in one range session this morning, 32 degree F, light wind, chronograph 10 feet from the muzzle. I'm not sure why, but I got an error reading on each of the Varget loads, but it should be humming at 1900-2000 fps - as hard as I want to push in this gun. Should probably work for hunting deer. smile All loads are sized to .311" in a Lyman 4500, first sized nose-first, then I go back and check and lube. All boolits lubed with Bullshop's Lotak Hard, I believe they are Hornady gas checks, copper, in any case, and light crimp applies, just enough to remove any belling from Lyman "M" die - it seems to work well, so if it ain't broke... All boolits are my approximation of Lyman #2 alloy, brass is 2x and 3x fired R-P with Rem 9 1/2 primers. Firearm is my great-grandfather's Stevens 44 1/2 with a CPA Rifles .30-40 Krag Douglas XX 28" half-octagon barrel with a Nikon 6.5-20x44 UCC scope mounted for load development. It has already been removed and the Pope Scheutzen tang sight (Lyman 17a front sight on this barrel) and original Stevens No. 368 (6x) external adjustment scope mounted for off-hand shooting paper and steel until hunting season rolls around again. All loads shot from my portable bench (booger bench design) with Caldwell "The Rock" front rest and a rear sand bag. No excessive waiting between shots, but I did let the barrel cool for about five minutes every other group. That's when I shot the 12" steel plate with my Ruger Mk III from 100 yds. smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i633.photobucket.com/al...-aa87-4d9f89e25235_zps073b5f9f.jpg[/img]
I really like load # 6. grin
I need a good .30 cal mould for my '06 and my .30-40Krag. Have you tried any other .30 cal styles in your Krag?

Ed
Posted By: selmer Re: More .30-40 Krag results - 04/15/14
No, but the 311284 was designed originally for the .30-40 Krag - that would be my next mold, but it's similar enough to the 311299 that I don't see the point, especially when the 311299 has a better BC and this one from NOE fits my barrel rather perfectly.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: More .30-40 Krag results - 04/15/14
Looks like you might have the gun and load worked for getting that water buffalo your daughter asked about in your tag line! smile
Posted By: ipopum Re: More .30-40 Krag results - 04/18/14
I will have to try this with my Winchester when I am able to again shoot. Just had back surgery and I was told do not even think about shooting until Sept. They put in screws and rods so the joints will stay in place until fused. It is going to be a long summer.
Posted By: Uncas Re: More .30-40 Krag results - 04/29/14
Ed meet Willy, Willy this here is Ed one of the Pheasant Shack partners...
Posted By: selmer Re: More .30-40 Krag results - 04/29/14
Which one is Ed...?
Originally Posted by selmer
Which one is Ed...?

That would be me. grin

Ed
Let me know if you want to try some of the 311299s - I have a bunch cast up in Lyman #2, including a bunch still "as cast" so you can customize your size and lube. They drop from the mold at .3105"-.311"
And....hi Ed. smile
Originally Posted by selmer
Let me know if you want to try some of the 311299s - I have a bunch cast up in Lyman #2, including a bunch still "as cast" so you can customize your size and lube. They drop from the mold at .3105"-.311"

Thank you, sir, I would like to try a few. My .30-40 is a converted .30-30 T/C Contender Carbine barrel that shot patterns. Uncas and my wife conspired to get it rechambered as a present. It is now very accurate.

Ed
Selmer, you're doing it right!

Carry on,

Dan
© 24hourcampfire