Home
Posted By: Biathlonman Cast bullet load? - 12/10/14
So components are still hard to come by in my neck of the woods. While cruising the reloading manual looking at data for the .357 maximum I have enroute, I noticed the .38 special and .357 magnum show loads with clays and a 158 grain cast bullet. I've got a pile of 158 cast bullets and the better part of 8 lbs. of clays I have no use for. Any reason I can't throw a .357 magnum load in a maximum case with clays? It's a contender so I'll be able to see if I stick one in the barrel. Thoughts? Just trying to find a plinking load until suitable components show up. I'm not new to reloading but have always stuck very closely to manuals.
Posted By: HawkI Re: Cast bullet load? - 12/10/14
I hope you meant 357 Max and not a 375 SuperMag?

If a 357Max, yes, 357Mag data will work. I highly doubt you'll stick a bullet.

Posted By: Biathlonman Re: Cast bullet load? - 12/10/14
Yeah that was a typo, I fixed it. I thought it would be good but thought I'd run it by those more experienced in the cast bullet world.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Cast bullet load? - 12/10/14
Clays works just fine. I use a lot of it in pistol cartridges. Think of it as a Bullseye substitute.
Posted By: blammer Re: Cast bullet load? - 12/10/14
I'd use the 357Mag data for my 357 Max and give it a go.
Posted By: HawkI Re: Cast bullet load? - 12/10/14
Be sure to tip the gun up before and keep it level while firing.

Clays is easily ignited, but will be position sensitive to a degree, and the long Maximum case is notorious for huge swings in velocity spreads with all but case filling loads.
© 24hourcampfire