Home
I have about eight pounds of IMR 4759 to use up.
What is a good mold for a 375 H&H deer load?
I have a Remington SPS big game.
whelennut
I haven't cast in several years for a .375 and then it was for a .375 AI. I used a Lyman # 375449 gas check design,which weighs out at about 280 grains using wheel weights.I can't give you the velocities(approx. 1400 fps,easily achievable in an H&H).I was using IMR 4198 with dacron as a filler. Five shot groups ran around 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 inches at 100 yrds.You won't win any benchrest matches with it,but accurate enough for game at reasonable ranges,and just plain fun to plink with! memtb
Whe. I use the RCBS 375-250-FN in my 375-06 Imp. at about 1800 fps., both HP and FN using AC WW. Several deer have not minded-Muddy
I’ve used a Lyman gas check design, don’t recall the exact number on the mould, but it’s around 280 grains. Shoots very well with IMR 4227 up at around 1700 fps. I shoot a very good load on my 358 Winchester with 4759 and I imagine the 375 would also should fine. A simple hard slug pokes a very lethal hole through lowly critters like caribou based on a the heavy M70 375 I’ve used.
I just got my 2016 catalog from Lyman yesterday.
Why are there molds for .381 dia?
Whelennut
Originally Posted by whelennut
Whelennut

These are supposedly for casting 38-55 bullets as many run that big in bore diameter.
Originally Posted by CraigD
Whelennut

These are supposedly for casting 38-55 bullets as many run that big in bore diameter.

And for the .38-90.

To the OP, if you haven't decided on a mould yet, check out Montana Bullet Company's offerings and then choose your mould.

LINK

I have an old custom SAECO .375 GC, spitzer shape, double cavity that throws a 265 gr bullet of wheelweights. That seems to be an optimum bullet weight for .375's.

In case you didn't know, they aren't making SR-4759 anymore.

Ed
I bought 12 lbs a long time ago and still have eight pounds left.
This is for my doomsday loading. I can shoot cast lead when all supply sources dry up.
I bought 12 lbs a long time ago and still have eight pounds left.
This is for my doomsday loading. I can shoot cast lead when all supply sources dry up.

Lucky you... grin

I've switched over to AA5744 for my cast bullet loads and reduced recoil loads.
© 24hourcampfire