Home
Posted By: canonman Lead vs jacketed - 09/09/15
Can only find loads for jacketed bullets in 100 gr. need load for 100 gr.in lead for Tightgroup in 32Mag Anybody know how much difference the starting load and Max Thanks for the help OZZIE
Posted By: lastround Re: Lead vs jacketed - 09/09/15
I would use the same starting load with lead as is listed for jacketed, and work up. You will probably find that it takes less powder with lead to attain the same velocity as the jacketed bullets. Are you shooting cast or the softer swaged bullets. The softer bullets will give some leading in your barrel and throats if pushed too fast. With a good cast bullet, if sized right for your revolver throats, you should be able to safely attain jacketed velocities or a little more. Just be safe and don't try to make your 32 mag into a 357.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Lead vs jacketed - 09/10/15
Yep. (Except the bit about soft pistol bullets leading if pushed too fast. It's all about fit. In fact some of the worst leading I ever dealt with in revolvers and 1911's was with sinfully hard bullets- bullets that fit like crap.)
Posted By: lastround Re: Lead vs jacketed - 09/12/15
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Yep. (Except the bit about soft pistol bullets leading if pushed too fast. It's all about fit. In fact some of the worst leading I ever dealt with in revolvers and 1911's was with sinfully hard bullets- bullets that fit like crap.)

What you say about sizing is very true, hence my statement about being sized to fit your revolver throats. My experience with soft lead swaged bullets, which are rarely sized correctly (for my revolvers anyway) and trying to push them too fast does cause a leading problem in my guns. I quit using them years ago and shoot nothing but cast most of the time. Usually cast with a BHN of 11 to 12, and sized to fit the throats of my revolvers.
Posted By: blammer Re: Lead vs jacketed - 09/12/15
the general rule is.

when using cast lead bullets, use the same load data that the jacketed bullets of equal weight use.
© 24hourcampfire