Home
Posted By: mark shubert Alloy sources - 11/26/16
I know of Rotometals, but I'm sure there are others.
Who, and where might they be?
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: Alloy sources - 11/26/16
Ebay...
Posted By: Allen917 Re: Alloy sources - 11/26/16
How about here? I don't know if the do non commercial sales, but if you ask, they may point you to one of thier customers that does.

[email protected]
Santa Rosa Lead Products
(800) 916-LEAD (5323) Fax: (707) 431-1749

33 South University Street
Healdsburg, CA 95448
3949 Guasti Road, Unit B
Ontario, CA 91761
Serving California, Alaska, Arizona, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington.
Posted By: funshooter Re: Alloy sources - 11/26/16
I went to a local scrap yard and purchased what they called lead.
the stuff is so hard there is no way that it is lead may be 10% if that.

I went to Rotometals and purchased lead pgs and add a very small amount of the stuff I got from the scrap yard to harded to what I need.
Gunna take about a hundred years ti mix all the hard stuff I have.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Alloy sources - 11/27/16
Scrap yard stuff can many times turn out to be mystery metal, if it looks like lead and is heavy like lead then it's lead to them. Years ago I bought some aluminum angle from a scrap yard it has some kind of OD green military coating on it. The stuff was harder than woodpecker lips, same thing with some stainless steel material. Hardest stainless I ever tried to machine.
Posted By: Allen917 Re: Alloy sources - 11/28/16
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Scrap yard stuff can many times turn out to be mystery metal, if it looks like lead and is heavy like lead then it's lead to them. Years ago I bought some aluminum angle from a scrap yard it has some kind of OD green military coating on it. The stuff was harder than woodpecker lips, same thing with some stainless steel material. Hardest stainless I ever tried to machine.

True that! I've got some scrap yard "lead" that is soft like lead, wieghs almost as much as lead, but takes the heat of a cutting torch to melt it. No idea what it is. It's shaped like it might have been a bearing race for a huge shaft.
Posted By: USSR1991 Re: Alloy sources - 11/28/16
The deal with getting good scrap yard lead is to only buy source lead of a known alloy. If you buy lead sheathing or lead pipe, you know you are getting nearly pure lead. Clip on wheel weights are another source of lead of a known alloy.

Don
Posted By: Cast Re: Alloy sources - 11/28/16
Most of my lead came from lead wheel weights smelted down and cleaned up, then cast into Lyman ingots. I do manage to pick up some pure soft lead at times and I also have tin and other stuff around to harden it if needed.

eBay is good source for lead and lead wheel weights (if you can get them) are a good plan B.
Posted By: Jglenn Re: Alloy sources - 12/01/16
Zip metals

http://zipmetals.com/Bullet-Casting-Metals_c_44.html
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Alloy sources - 12/01/16
Originally Posted by Allen917

True that! I've got some scrap yard "lead" that is soft like lead, wieghs almost as much as lead, but takes the heat of a cutting torch to melt it. No idea what it is. It's shaped like it might have been a bearing race for a huge shaft.

Probably some kind of babbit bearing alloy of which there are too many to count. May well have large amounts of copper in the mix which would explain the high melt temp. Do the resulting bullets have a kind of purplish hue to them?
Posted By: stomatador Re: Alloy sources - 12/02/16
I check tire shops for wheel weights.

A buddy and I bought a couple tons of recovered bullets from an indoor range. Smelted out the lead and sold the copper to a recycler. It's harder than I thought it would be. I also bought a bunch of pure lead from a guy who bought a lead lined x-ray booth.
© 24hourcampfire