Bad winters have consequences....
Read and weep
Point creep is really going to bite people in the azz

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/WGFD/media/con...0Regulations/CH-5-Draft-04-07-2023-5.pdf
53-1 down to 75 buck tags
57-1 down to 75 buck tags
58-1 down to 50 buck tags
60-1 and 61-1 down to 50 buck tags
May be more cuts coming at the Commission meeting here in about a week.

Price increase next year too, double whammy for some NRs.

Thankfully our antelope herd is doing fine around here, we'll be hunting closer to home I hope, if we can draw.
Posted By: 805 Re: Wyoming Antelope tags for 2023 - 04/14/23
It’s at least nice to see that WY pays attention and listens to their biologists and makes the necessary cuts to tag numbers.
Although it certainly will drive up point creep this year I’m sure of that.
I've been sitting on some points for a while. I'm thinking it's gonna get flooded with NR due to the tag prices next year. But then again, hearing doom and gloom about the population. May keep people at home. Who knows.
How much are tags supposed to go up next year?
All the tag prices are not going up, just the "Special Draw" tags as I understand it.
Right special draw only. I think they may double in price? Don't know for sure, but 1200 bucks for an antelope?
Sounds like I should cash my points in.
Might as well. If I could find some private up there I'd do it and pay a good price for a trespass fee to avoid the orange.
Be interesting to see how many folks will pay $1200 for a antelope or deer tag.
Originally Posted by Coyote10
Might as well. If I could find some private up there I'd do it and pay a good price for a trespass fee to avoid the orange.

Not much orange in the areas with good public access.
Trespass fee hunts are very hard to find these days.

Regular fees stay the same and quotas were approved at the Commission meeting this week.
Good to hear that. I was going off some guys who went up there on a deer hunt and said it was elbow to elbow and atv central. They said antelope wasn't as bad. First couple days were busy but after that it got better. With point creep getting worse, I'm gonna be in on the special tag group, as I understand it, those are selected first out of each pool. I mean 10 points now is like 6 points in 2018 or 19. But I may be totally wrong. Glad that wyoming protect their game and have quotas yearly.
https://cowboystatedaily.com/2023/0...ut-in-wake-of-brutal-wyoming-winterkill/

memtb
So did the southeast corner or east central get hit vey hard? Seems like it south central and southwest part.
Originally Posted by Judman
There will always be non residents with deep pockets, Wyoming will sell every tag they offer non residents.
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
There will always be non residents with deep pockets, Wyoming will sell every tag they offer non residents.

Yea, for a little more you can have an outfitter and lodging. 1200 for a lope is steep. There will be people pay it, and then you'll see regular tags go up too. Just like fuel prices. It just gets higher and higher.
So did the southeast corner or east central get hit vey hard? Seems like it south central and southwest part.

We're not in bad shape in Laramie area and East towards Cheyenne.
Glenrock area got hit hard and some spots that way.
I would make some calls about your area if possible, the biologist will tell you.
Winter was spotty on our side of the state.
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk

Yea, for a little more you can have an outfitter and lodging. 1200 for a lope is steep. There will be people pay it, and then you'll see regular tags go up too. Just like fuel prices. It just gets higher and higher.

I’ll do $1200 for a quality hunt over there, I’m hoping the odds get quite a bit better. Coming up on 50 in a couple years, gotta do er as often as I can.
I’ll do $1200 for a quality hunt over there, I’m hoping the odds get quite a bit better. Coming up on 50 in a couple years, gotta do er as often as I can.[/quote]

Makes sense.
Drew a top tier unit couple years ago, amazing hunt. Majority of the unit was public ground, tons of antelope, stupid high buck to do ratio, PARD and I rode around,in my sxs, glassed for a week and didn’t see another hunter in the field. Hell I’d give $2000 for a tag in that unit every year. Quality experience for sure
Originally Posted by JeffP
53-1 down to 75 buck tags
57-1 down to 75 buck tags
58-1 down to 50 buck tags
60-1 and 61-1 down to 50 buck tags
I took a monster Antelope in 57 back in 1992.
Just drove threw and saw plenty of antelope on the drive.

chris
I've been saving points for a while. Decided to put in for a unit with out a bunch or winter kill. Hopefully I draw.
They just cut allocations in several units even more and have done what they should have done a long time ago-cut doe tags.
I have 12 points. I was wanting to put in this year, but am questioning that decision now.

However, one thing about Wyoming, compared to Alberta is how many pronghorn Wyoming has even in a down year.

The best I recall is all of Alberta having is 30,000 to 35,000 pronghorn. IIRC, the last time we had that number was the mid 90s.

Compare that to Wyoming where a single zone in a down year might 5 figure population totals.

To complicate the matter, I am due to be drawn in Alberta after many years of waiting. My brother only wants to do one hunt.

What to do?
I think you’ll be alright unless your plans were for the hard hit units. Go hunt pal! Wyoming is a badass place to hunt. 12 point’s special should get you a hellava hunt👊🏻
Just reread your post pal, just buy another point, hunt Alberta this year, Wyoming next year. You’re gonna have 2 good hunts. I absolutely love antelope, hunting antelope, and eating antelope. Cool critters. Wish I could hunt em 2-3 times/states a year.👊🏻
Just reread your post pal, just buy another point, hunt Alberta this year, Wyoming next year. You’re gonna have 2 good hunts. I absolutely love antelope, hunting antelope, and eating antelope. Cool critters. Wish I could hunt em 2-3 times/states a year.👊🏻

It takes sooo long to be drawn in Alberta these days, I've come to the conclusion that we better draw in Alberta this year. At 59, my next tag will be in my mid 70s.

We can do Wyoming in the future.

I agree with you that pronghorn hunting is someof the best in NA. Absolutely love it.
Last day to put in. Think this guy is just gonna buy another point. Good luck to all.
Last day to put in. Think this guy is just gonna buy another point. Good luck to all.

Heck with it. I put in. See what happens.
Some areas are fine but better areas out further west may have way less to look over.

Good luck Coyote10 in the draw.
Thanks. Luck is always welcome!
Made it up to wyoming last week. Have seen quite a few antelope. Ended up shooting a great buck today. 300 yards. Ran about 30 yards and did the hop hop back flip. I really like hunting them. I was actually impressed with how well they can see. I knew it was unreal, but I swear they can see you from a mile. Anything out of the ordinary catches their attention. Once they are moving or grazing away from you, they are tough to catch up to. The areas I was in was extremely flat with little, actually no cover but the relief of the land. It's something I hope I can continue to draw tags for!
My wife and I love hunting them. We hunted near Rawlins and enjoyed our hunt. We each shot a nice buck but nothing great. I shot a 14+ inch buck and my wife a 13” we had a great camp area too.
I guarantee they can see you a mile away and at the 60mph they are 2 miles away in a minute.
Congratulations on your hunt
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I’ve never claimed to be a math guy, but...

At 60 mph, aren’t they 1 mile away in a minute?
Pretty much.

I'd be crawling along thinking I'm good, then lift up my binos to take a look and have two or three just staring a hole through me lol.
Originally Posted by Anteloper
I’ve never claimed to be a math guy, but...

At 60 mph, aren’t they 1 mile away in a minute?

I think your math might be off.
If they are a mile away when they see you and run 60 miles a hour in a minute they would then be 2 miles away.
That’s assuming they run away from you. I have had them run towards me on occasion. Lol
© 24hourcampfire