Home
Posted By: GoWyo Wyoming Moose Draw -‘23 - 05/06/23
Well, after 40 years of applying, my time has come. I’ll be hunting for a once in a lifetime bull come September. I drew one of the preference point area 38-1 tags.(edited) Over 3000 applicants! Having 27 out of 28 points helps. I have a feeling we’ll all be looking for a B&C head. Time to knock the dust off the Mathews for September and work up a load for my Sako .338. I have all the vacation time i need, so this should be awesome! My son is a Senior this fall at UW, in wildlife biology, so I can call him and his wildlife fellows to come help pack out! As well as keeping a lookout!
Yes, I am counting my chickens!

I’ll have to keep a journal.
Nicely done. Looking forward to a full hunt report
Posted By: ttpoz Re: Wyoming Moose Draw -‘23 - 05/06/23
Originally Posted by GoWyo
Well, after 40 years of applying, my time has come. I’ll be hunting for a once in a lifetime bull come September. I drew one of 5 area 38-1 tags. Over 3000 applicants! Having 27 out of 28 points helps. I have a feeling we’ll all be looking for a B&C head. Time to knock the dust off the Mathews for September and work up a load for my Sako .338. I have all the vacation time i need, so this should be awesome! My son is a Senior this fall at UW, in wildlife biology, so I can call him and his wildlife fellows to come help pack out! As well as keeping a lookout!

Good job! Congratulations! I'll try to remember this thread and let you know if I come across a nice bull this summer.
Posted By: Westman Re: Wyoming Moose Draw -‘23 - 05/07/23
Congrats! It should be a blast.

Not being knowledgeable.... what part of the state is that?
Should be a fun one
Posted By: GoWyo Re: Wyoming Moose Draw -‘23 - 05/07/23
Southern, Laramie to Saratoga and further West.
Posted By: BuzzH Re: Wyoming Moose Draw -‘23 - 05/07/23
With 27 points your odds were 100%...17 available tags in your points pool and 12 applicants.

20 bull tags in that unit and likely all 5 governor tags as well as the super raffle moose and trifecta hunters too.

You'll have competition.
Posted By: BuzzH Re: Wyoming Moose Draw -‘23 - 05/07/23
[Linked Image from photos.imageevent.com]

38 bull from a few years back was killed a couple months after I took the photo was a B&C bull.

There aren't booners around every tree but some great bulls if you can pass on the better than average ones. Some of the best bulls will get zapped during archery.
Posted By: GoWyo Re: Wyoming Moose Draw -‘23 - 05/07/23
Yah, i was looking at the random draw quota, doh!!
Congratulations. Good luck and have fun.
Congratulations on your Tag! As a new Wyoming resident, I will never see enough points to draw a tag like that.....a freak random tag would be my only hope! LOL Have an awesome hunt!

Frog----OUT!
Congratulations.
Posted By: memtb Re: Wyoming Moose Draw -‘23 - 05/07/23
Congratulations…..I hope that your success exceeds your dreams! Good Luck! memtb
Posted By: wyosteve Re: Wyoming Moose Draw -‘23 - 05/07/23
Good luck. A friend of mine had a tag there a couple years ago and took a nice bull 50 yds. from the road so the pack out was easy!!
Congrats on the tag!
Posted By: paguy Re: Wyoming Moose Draw -‘23 - 05/08/23
WOW congratulations, once in a lifetime make the most of it and enjoy the ride.
GoWyo: Congratulations and good for you.
Best of luck to you and your fellow scouting/Hunting partners.
Bag a big'un!
If you could give me a clue as to which quadrant/area of Wyoming you will be in - I have Hunted all over Wyoming for Deer and Antelope but never for Moose.
Again best of luck to ya.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: GoWyo Re: Wyoming Moose Draw -‘23 - 05/09/23
Thanks all. Yep, once in a lifetime is correct. Now per statute. VG, I’ll do some scouting in Aug, then decide, but theres a ton of habitat in these areas. Ive got two months of PTO saved up, I’m going to be choosey! I need to get a phonskope for my Iphone 14, if theyre making it yet. Lots to do.
Posted By: fink65 Re: Wyoming Moose Draw -‘23 - 05/09/23
First time I ever saw a hunter with "buck fever" before he left his house. I'll be "rootin" for ya!-Mike
Congrats! Nothing like some fresh moose meat.
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Wyoming Moose Draw -‘23 - 05/09/23
One of the premier moose draws in the lower 48.

Great reason to be "jacked". Should be a fun hunt
Posted By: GoWyo Re: Wyoming Moose Draw -‘23 - 05/09/23
Shoot, you should’ve seen me after I drew my sheep tag!
Sounds like a good opportunity!

Looking forward to the hunt report.

Take lots of pictures
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Wyoming Moose Draw -‘23 - 05/10/23
Shoot, you should’ve seen me after I drew my sheep tag!

I drew my moose and a mountain goat at the same time!

'06.
Posted By: wytex Re: Wyoming Moose Draw -‘23 - 05/10/23
Don't overlook the Vedauwoo area too.

Been some big ones spotted near Fox Park as well in years past.
Posted By: GoWyo Re: Wyoming Moose Draw -‘23 - 05/14/23
Hey Pam,

Thanks. I plan on looking everywhere! And seeking sightings from friends and acquaintances! My fuel bill will be horrendous.
Posted By: wytex Re: Wyoming Moose Draw -‘23 - 05/18/23
^^^^ It will be worth it, lol!!

Best of luck, should be a nice bull down this Fall for you.

Try to keep you in mind if we see a huge one for sure.
Originally Posted by wytex
Don't overlook the Vedauwoo area too.

Been some big ones spotted near Fox Park as well in years past.
Biggest Bull Moose I ever saw was just outside Fox Park. I had a cow tag.
Posted By: wytex Re: Wyoming Moose Draw -‘23 - 05/23/23
^^^^ Wonder if it was the big one taken a few years back, made some outfitted guys mad. Guy posted online telling locals where he saw a huge bull and a local guy went and shot it.
Outfitters watching it for a Gov. tag holder didn't like that, lol!
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Wyoming Moose Draw -‘23 - 05/25/23
Well, after 40 years of applying, my time has come. I’ll be hunting for a once in a lifetime bull come September. I drew one of the preference point area 38-1 tags.(edited) Over 3000 applicants! Having 27 out of 28 points helps. I have a feeling we’ll all be looking for a B&C head. Time to knock the dust off the Mathews for September and work up a load for my Sako .338. I have all the vacation time i need, so this should be awesome! My son is a Senior this fall at UW, in wildlife biology, so I can call him and his wildlife fellows to come help pack out! As well as keeping a lookout!

Congratulations!!
Well, since this seems to be the official 2023 Wyoming Mooski thread, I’d like
to add on a request. After several decades of applying, my cousin Chris drew the
non-Res Wyo. Bullwinkle-tag for units 30 + 2. This is a SE running finger of the
Wind River range ... with perimeter access towns being Dubois, Lander, Atlantic City
and Pinedale.

While it will be a long drive over from Oregon, he’s planning for a serious public-land
DIY hunt, with a few close friends (aka: spotters/packers) that will join him. He may even
take a few of his pack Llamas along. He will have On-X maps for land ownership and has
already spoken with the local Biologist. He will carry his tried/true .300 Win mag
(with my handloads), launching his go-to 180 grain Speer Grand Slam bullets.
May send my .340 Bee along as a back-up, with 225gr Barnes "Boolits".

You may recall that a few years ago, Chris drew a Non-Res Bighorn tag for
Eastern Wyoming (in the Laramie Range) West of Wheatland and with some
great input from several 24-hr members, managed to take a DIY public land Ram
there. I posted nearly daily hunt updates on here, when he could get coverage out.

If you have on the ground/local knowledge of any unusual conditions in units
30 or 2 this year or road/access concerns over a Moose hunt there ... or you hunted
or scouted for Moose in either unit in the last 2 years, we would appreciate hearing
from you. Feel free to PM me, if there's something you'd rather not share publicly.
If you can recommend a place in one of the above towns, to either hang or
process an animal, that would be nice to know also.

Just realize that I don’t log in every day, so it may take a few days to get back to you.
- - -
The Game is Afoot !

Silver_Bullet
Posted By: wytex Re: Wyoming Moose Draw -‘23 - 06/02/23
Glad to hear your son was DIY on the sheep, I had that tag in 2019 and did the same. No way I'm paying someone $10,000 for them to say shoot that ram, lol!!

Hunt those waterways and by the rut bulls will be out in the sage looking for cows too.
Easy to call in so give that a try too.
Looks like 100% harvest stats so have fun !!
Posted By: GoWyo Re: Wyoming Moose Draw -‘23 - 06/10/23
There was a bit of that DIY-itis going around in ‘19. Good thing there were others sharing info on where to find the cure.

I anticipate another bout come Sept-Nov.
I've got 9 points in area 1 (northern Big Horns). Not ready to go this year (after shoulder surgery), so I got pref points. Hope I don't need 27 to get a tag! I'll be 75 by the time I draw one if that's the bar.
Posted By: memtb Re: Wyoming Moose Draw -‘23 - 06/10/23
Originally Posted by Cowboybart
I've got 9 points in area 1 (northern Big Horns). Not ready to go this year (after shoulder surgery), so I got pref points. Hope I don't need 27 to get a tag! I'll be 75 by the time I draw one if that's the bar.

You’ll likely need plenty! Not many moose (as compared to some areas) with lots of applicants! But, wishing you good luck in your endeavors! memtb
Posted By: wyoelk Re: Wyoming Moose Draw -‘23 - 06/13/23
I highly suggest you take up archery and have your bull found by September 1st. Odds are good an outfitter will have him in a freezer by September 2nd.
Posted By: GoWyo Re: Wyoming Moose Draw -‘23 - 06/13/23
25 bull tags. 3 areas over three…four? counties and @4500 square miles with gobs of habitat. There should be room for all. I guarantee there won’t be 25 guided hunters out there, and I’d bet on several that will be taken off private leases. I’ve got 2.5 months to hunt and that much vacation saved up. I’m not in a rush to end my once in a lifetime hunt on the first day. Yes, I’d love a great bull, but I’d rather have my son/ nephew/ brother-in-law with me to experience this.

PS I do fling sticks.
Posted By: BuzzH Re: Wyoming Moose Draw -‘23 - 06/13/23
25 bull tags. 3 areas over three…four? counties and @4500 square miles with gobs of habitat. There should be room for all. I guarantee there won’t be 25 guided hunters out there, and I’d bet on several that will be taken off private leases. I’ve got 2.5 months to hunt and that much vacation saved up. I’m not in a rush to end my once in a lifetime hunt on the first day. Yes, I’d love a great bull, but I’d rather have my son/ nephew/ brother-in-law with me to experience this.

PS I do fling sticks.

There's going to be 7 high paying hunters in addition to the 25 tags that most, if not all, are going guided. They will kill several of the best bulls as soon as they can.
The great moose race. I know of two DIY hunters.
Posted By: wytex Re: Wyoming Moose Draw -‘23 - 06/13/23
Plenty of good bulls make it past the archery opener.
You should be fine and I would def. try archery season.

Depending on elk draw we may be in a good spot for moose while elk hunting, no problem sharing info with you.
Thanks Pam! Good luck on the draw! Still have my number?
Posted By: wyoelk Re: Wyoming Moose Draw -‘23 - 06/13/23

PS I do fling sticks.

I know the guys that do it. The king kongs are going to be found and sat on by August. They will be taken via sharp stick as early as possible. As Tex said, plenty of good bulls will still be around, just not the bruisers.

Huge unit with lots of places. Snowies, Pole Mountain and even bulls to be found on the top of Sheep Mtn, they can stay there. Madres are even starting to get some good bulls running around.

I got disgusted with the points game a few years ago and burnt my points in the unit on the cow tag. Killed one during sharp stick season sporting a huge set of nuts. smile

Congrats on the tag.
Posted By: JD338 Re: Wyoming Moose Draw -‘23 - 07/04/23

Congratulations! Area 38 is prime for B&C moose. Sure hope you connect on a dandy.
I've got 21 pp and didn't draw. I'm applying in Area 25 as I have access t a a couple of private ranches that have many moose, including some big bulls. Hope I don't have to wait 40 years!

Best of luck to you.

I saw the biggest bull moose I have ever seen right outside of Fox Park. Two other big bulls, one east of Lake Owen and another west of Rob Roy reservoir. I had a cow moose tag. I drew a bull moose tag in 1998 in area #17 and took a good bull 3 days into the hunt.
Posted By: GoWyo Re: Wyoming Moose Draw -‘23 - 09/03/23
Son and I are up looking for a shooter, seen 5 bulls, not what Im after, yet. Saw a booner this morning, in the back of a red dually…
Posted By: wytex Re: Wyoming Moose Draw -‘23 - 09/03/23
Headed up to elk hunt this coming week, I'll keep you in mind if we see something big.

Was the truck a local?
Posted By: GoWyo Re: Wyoming Moose Draw -‘23 - 09/04/23
I wasnt paying attention as it approached, as it passed I saw the rack and tines and that was all i focused on! We saw 12 moose before noon today, 2 decent bulls, but I passed. Word on hill was that 6 B&C bulls were taken by yesterday.
Posted By: BuzzH Re: Wyoming Moose Draw -‘23 - 09/05/23
I wasnt paying attention as it approached, as it passed I saw the rack and tines and that was all i focused on! We saw 12 moose before noon today, 2 decent bulls, but I passed. Word on hill was that 6 B&C bulls were taken by yesterday.

Some of those will shrink once the 1/4 inch steel tape hits the antlers.
Posted By: GoWyo Re: Wyoming Moose Draw -‘23 - 10/21/23
Wrapped up my hunt on the 4th. Followed a tip from another hunter who had seen my bull a week before in an area that one would not anticipate finding a moose. Elk and Mule deer, yes, anyway, here is a link to some pix as I dont know how to reduce them.

OIL WY Shiras
Congratulations on a nice bull.
Nice bull.
Posted By: huntinaz Re: Wyoming Moose Draw -‘23 - 10/21/23
Oh hell yes. That’s awesome. Moose are so rad. Congrats!!!
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Wyoming Moose Draw -‘23 - 10/21/23
Fantastic! Congrats!
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Wyoming Moose Draw -‘23 - 10/21/23
Well done. Great experience and tasty meat for the winter.

L.W.
Excellent.
Very well done great looking bull. Good palms, points and brow tines . What do you figure for age 4.5 to 5.5? 40 + inches width? Looks like you had some buds there to help . Congrats again..mb
Posted By: GoWyo Re: Wyoming Moose Draw -‘23 - 10/21/23
Thanks all!

Waiting on aging, G&F took teeth. Probably around there. He was 42”, also per the G&F.

I did have buds w/ me at the time. My son and brother in law. And a couple Iowans and young man from Pinedale that ran across this bull in the area we were looking for him from a previous tip. Having my son there, knowing he might not be able to hunt with me again was a driver, almost as much as the bull’s attributes! wink.

Everything felt right, so I let the Sako eat.

Gary
Best game meat I've harvested is moose. Good job!
Congratulations! A fine representation of the sub-species!
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Wyoming Moose Draw -‘23 - 10/24/23
that's a great hard earned trophy! 40 years in the making.

Nice pics and the Sako full stock is beautiful too.
Posted By: Westman Re: Wyoming Moose Draw -‘23 - 10/24/23
Nice moose and nice pics! Congrats!!!

Thanks for posting them.
Posted By: SKane Re: Wyoming Moose Draw -‘23 - 10/25/23
Very nice bull - congrats!
So great. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: USAFArky Re: Wyoming Moose Draw -‘23 - 10/27/23
Congratulations! I’m jealous.
Posted By: Brad Re: Wyoming Moose Draw -‘23 - 10/27/23
That’s super - congrats!
Posted By: JD338 Re: Wyoming Moose Draw -‘23 - 11/03/23
Congratulations on your beautiful bull!

JD338
Posted By: GoWyo Re: Wyoming Moose Draw -‘23 - 11/09/23
Thanks all!
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Wyoming Moose Draw -‘23 - 11/23/23
Congrats on a good bull.
Best of luck with your draw! I'm not far behind you with points and am still in on the sidelines. Post some pics of your harvest pls
Posted By: GoWyo Re: Wyoming Moose Draw -‘23 - 01/12/24
Check my post link on 10/20/23
Posted By: GoWyo Re: Wyoming Moose Draw -‘23 - 02/04/24
Found out my bull was 7 years old via WG&F tooth aging.
Posted By: elkrazy Re: Wyoming Moose Draw -‘23 - 02/10/24
That is so awesome!! I love it when they get some age on them. Perfect bull to take.
© 24hourcampfire