Home
Posted By: GTC22 AK Black Bear Trip - 06/24/23
My wife and #2 son, Zack, and I were able to make a trip up to Alaska last week to visit #1 son, Mike, and his family. We also planned to spend some time looking for black bears and pre-season scouting for mountain goats.

Mike bought a dental practice in Soldotna in 2021 and it’s been a great move for them and opportunity for us to visit a few times each year. We’re already planning our Fall trip.
Last Spring, we went in the middle of May and thought we might be a bit early. We saw plenty of bears but couldn’t get to some areas due to high snow and/or water. This year, we tried the middle of June and think we might have been a few weeks late. The alders and other foliage had leafed out and our spotting % decreased dramatically. Next year it’s June 1st or bust.

We hit Mike’s local rifle range to check zeros and kill some time as the rain was nearly constant and the mountains were mostly cloud covered for the first few days. I’m an admitted rifle looney, but my boys have forged their own way, each putting together rifles that fit their own styles. Zack was shooting a Christensen Titanium in 300 PRC with 212 ELD-X’s moving right along. Mike would be using another Christensen, this one in 6.5PRC with 143’s.

Scopes on both were Leupold VX-5HD’s in the 3-15X44 flavor. These have proved to be excellent hunting scopes, not too heavy or big and the tracking has been very good. Both kids shoot better than me now and proved it on steel out to 1000 yards. The dope on their ballistic apps was right on. Mike captured Zack’s hit on the 600 yard ram and it was quite impressive in slo-mo.

https://vimeo.com/839203969?share=copy

In addition to hunting the normal local spots, we had hired a water taxi to get us to beach a bit further away from home base. The weather had been a bit sporty right before we arrived, and our departure from Seward was delayed a day because of lingering high seas. We set out with wet jackets and high hopes.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Our captain was skeptical about landing on our target beach, and he was right. We made a few passes but just didn’t think it would be safe to try it with the rollers hitting the beach. We went to plan B, a beach closer to Seward and much more protected.

We were happy to find it deserted and quickly set up camp. Mike’s been acquiring good gear as his experience and income levels have allowed. 😊 I slept in his Seek Outside tipi, and the boys gave the new Hilleberg its first test. We all slept dry, despite the steady drizzle. The Hilleberg will get its real test on Kodiak in November.

The next morning, we finally had clearing skies. After a quick breakfast and gear check, we headed out. Or I should say up. That’s about the only direction you can go starting at sea level, I guess. We had one drainage option, and just basically headed up the creek until we were forced to bushwhack. As more seasoned Alaskans know, there really aren’t game trails like we’re used to in the Rockies. With no cattle trails and the local critters’ meandering habits, man is really at a disadvantage in the thick stuff.

We stayed in the spruce as long as we could, then zigzagged through alder-hell sprinkled with salmonberry. About 3 hours later, we’d achieved a nice vantage on a fairly open hillside. Looking back toward the beach, I could actually glass our camp and was humiliated that we’d covered a whopping 750 yards as the crow flies.

We decided I’d slowed the boys down enough, so I settled in for a sit and they continued onward and upward. I glassed up a bear almost immediately, but it was another half mile up the canyon and on the opposite hillside. It also looked pretty scraggly, not sure if it was rubbed or just had a bad hair day.

Mike and Zack had made it around to another vantage point and settled in to glass. Soon they spotted a nice looking blackie feeding away from them but at least on their side of the drainage. Since Zack’s hunting will be limited for the next 3 years as he heads to CRNA school (more dad bragging, I know), Mike gave him first crack. First crack for Zack is usually all it takes, as you’ve probably noticed if you’ve followed my infrequent posts here. He was born in ’97 and I joined the CF in ’01, so most of his killing is likely documented better here than anywhere.

Mike got his 85mm spotter and phoneskope set up while Zack was wedging his pack between a small spruce and a cliff for a solid rest. I would have loved to have been right there with them, but after all these years of hunting together, behind the glass, rifle and spotter I’m pretty sure exactly how it went down.

The bear would disappear in the alder patches and then pause a bit in the more open grassy areas. He was right in the transition zone from brownish wintered grass and green-up. They got about 5 minutes of video as he made his way to the head of the drainage. Video was rolling as they ranged him for the last time at 611 yards.

I was re-glassing my bed-head bear when I heard the faint crack of Zack’s suppressed PRC. The shot echoed down the canyon for a second, followed by a very satisfying WHOP! I was pretty sure what that meant. We got on the radios and confirmed my suspicion. The boys were going to be late to dinner.

https://vimeo.com/839204192?share=copy

We checked in every hour or so as they made their way to the bear and got to work. They glassed up another non-shooter on the way over and I also watched another as the day passed by. They finished up with the bear and got cleaned up in a near vertical ice cold stream. We thought later it would be a great place to camp if you could find a spot near level. Probably more likely to find a gold nugget, tho.

Posted By: GTC22 Re: AK Black Bear Trip - 06/24/23

I got back to camp about 9 with still 2 hours of light left. The stream we had easily crossed in the morning was now non-jumpable for me with the tide in, and a good 4 foot deep. I backtracked a bit and found a couple of downed logs that provided a sketchy platform for me to cross. It looked much easier when the boys did it an hour later. We had a good meal and slept much better than the night previous.

The rain started again during the night, and after sleeping in a bit, we quickly came to consensus that with no other shooters seen and our legs begging for a break, we’d message the boat and request pickup. The captain was right on time and we were back in Seward in time for a great meal at the Gold Rush Bistro.

With the bear on ice, we made it back to Soldotna and over to a guy that removed the skull and preserved the hide. Zack had hit the bear right in the neck, and that impact had practically split the skull in two. The guy said after his beetles were through cleaning it, there wouldn’t be much of a trophy left. Oh well, there will be more bears in our future. The hide is primo, ink-jet black and silky as can be. We’ll probably have it rugged in Idaho.

We spent the rest of the week doing day hikes and dodging rain storms. It seems the silvers arrived in the Kenai and Russian rivers while we were there and we considered doing some combat flossing, but thought better of it. Mike will lay in plenty of fish before we get back there this fall.

Thanks for coming along; as always, these stories are more for me than you. Happy hunting!
Posted By: tater74 Re: AK Black Bear Trip - 06/24/23
Very cool. Congrats.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: AK Black Bear Trip - 06/24/23
Nice!
Posted By: handwerk Re: AK Black Bear Trip - 06/24/23
Gosh what an excellent trip! thanks for the great write up and pics.
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: AK Black Bear Trip - 06/24/23
I enjoyed the pictures and story. Sounds as if you and your son had a great time with a successful hunt.

What is "CRNA school" ??

L.W.
Posted By: WMR Re: AK Black Bear Trip - 06/24/23
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
I enjoyed the pictures and story. Sounds as if you and your son had a great time with a successful hunt.

What is "CRNA school" ??

L.W.

It’s where nurses go when they want to make big money. 😁
Posted By: SKane Re: AK Black Bear Trip - 06/24/23
Looks like a great adventure! Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: GTC22 Re: AK Black Bear Trip - 06/24/23
Originally Posted by WMR
Originally Posted by Leanwolf

What is "CRNA school" ??

L.W.

It’s where nurses go when they want to make big money. 😁

WMR has it about right. Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist. Zack's been grinding it out as an RN for 2 years in an ICU in hopes of getting accepted to a CRNA program (apparently not so easy). He interviewed at a school in Indiana and had an acceptance offer before he flew back home. 3 years straight through is a big commitment, but grads are in high demand. I told him those 3 years were going to pass whether he was in school or not, so buckle down and the sacrifice will pay off. Nice to have kids smarter than you laugh
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: AK Black Bear Trip - 06/24/23
WMR and GTC 22, thanks for the information.

L.W.
Posted By: Justahunter Re: AK Black Bear Trip - 06/25/23
Very awesome thread!!!

Todd
Posted By: Snootie Re: AK Black Bear Trip - 06/26/23
Great read and pics! Thanks for sharing............well done!
Posted By: 805 Re: AK Black Bear Trip - 06/26/23
Looks like an awesome trip and Congrats to Zack on the bear and school acceptance.
Posted By: ironbender Re: AK Black Bear Trip - 06/27/23
Glad you enjoyed the trip and had success.

The salmon are sockeyes (reds) in June. Silvers later in the summer.
Posted By: Santiam Re: AK Black Bear Trip - 06/27/23
Awesome
Posted By: skeen Re: AK Black Bear Trip - 06/27/23
Congrats on a great trip with the boys!
Posted By: GTC22 Re: AK Black Bear Trip - 06/27/23
Originally Posted by ironbender
Glad you enjoyed the trip and had success.

The salmon are sockeyes (reds) in June. Silvers later in the summer.

Noted on the distinction, IB. I can never keep those straight, they sure looked silver to me grin
Posted By: bwinters Re: AK Black Bear Trip - 06/28/23
Great story!
Posted By: geedubya Re: AK Black Bear Trip - 06/28/23
An adventure for sure.

Mighty fine!

GWB
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: AK Black Bear Trip - 06/28/23
Awesome. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: AK Black Bear Trip - 06/29/23
Looks like a great trip
Posted By: AB2506 Re: AK Black Bear Trip - 07/05/23
My daughter is an RN and has spent 4 years in a Stroke and Acute Medicine ward and in May transferred to ICU. Last fall she started her Masters of Nursing. At first she was thinking of becoming a nursing school instructor, but she may transfer to the nurse practitioner track. On her days off this summer she has a bunch of nursing students working with her for their practicum.

I’ll continue to brag. My other daughter is going into 3rd year law. She’s working for Immigration this summer. She will article next year for the Saskatchewan Justice department in North Battleford.

I’m blessed.

Congratulations to your son.
Posted By: GTC22 Re: AK Black Bear Trip - 07/05/23
AB, you've got the meds and legal covered. If you've got a good stockbroker, you should be all set for getting old grin
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: AK Black Bear Trip - 07/06/23
Man, I would love to hunt in that country one day.
Posted By: Scotty Re: AK Black Bear Trip - 07/12/23
Nice bear. Great story.
Posted By: LeakyWaders Re: AK Black Bear Trip - 07/12/23
Thanks for sharing your family adventure, it's wicked cool.
Posted By: country_20boy Re: AK Black Bear Trip - 07/12/23
Great write up and pics. Thanks for sharing and congrats to all of you!
Posted By: GTC22 Re: AK Black Bear Trip - 09/15/23
Well, I need to get some more journaling in, so here’s some more of our Alaska adventures. I had mentioned we were planning to get back to Soldotna in September to help out with Max’s mountain goat hunt.

As I’m sure I’ve mentioned before, probably in an elk hunting story, Max is Mike’s 11 year old son, and my first grandson. He was a 2.2 pound 26 weeker at birth. This was him about 12 years ago held by his beautiful Mother, Mandy.

Fast forward (like lightspeed fast) to last week and he was setting out with his dad for another chance at his goat. Zack and I were not able to put our fall trip to AK together, mostly due to my job. Whoever said working for a living was a good idea?! With Mike’s permission and based on his texts and post hunt facetiming, I’m putting this to paper/pixels.

So Mike and Max had been making a few attempts alone as time and weather allowed. Not to give any secrets away, but Max’s hunt was on that giant mountain facing you as you turn left to ANC or right to SWD. 😊

Goats are almost a given to spot glassing from the highway. And although the steepness is brutal, it’s been that first 2000 feet through the alders, devil’s club and poison ivy(!) that has been the toughest. They’ve been turned back more than once due to that, the weather or skittish goats.

Did I mention that it’s hard not to see bears on this mountain, as well? Anyway, last week Mike and Max had a good billie spotted from the highway, with only one bear in between their approach and the goat. So they were off, approaching from the west.

They’d not attempted that direction before and were soon 12 feet deep in the bad stuff.

Mike was sure they’d make the ridge eventually, so they pushed through. And 3 hours later, sure enough, they made the first ridge and much to their surprise, a pretty good trail! They had missed it at the start, but made sure to mark it for the way out.

Another 1000 foot climb and they were in great shape and due for a snack.

They weren’t in position to see the face with the goats yet. But had a great view of the basin to the north, which Mike described as spectacular.

Giving it a good once-over with the glass, they immediately had a nice black bear spotted across the canyon, with an even bigger grizzly about another half-mile up the basin.

Mike said he had 3 things running through his head:

1 That’s a beautiful black bear
2 Will this 6.5 PRC kill this grizzly
3 Why are we getting distracted by bears?

Max broke the deadlock with, “I want to kill that black bear.” So it was game-on.

They quickly gathered their gear and headed up their side of the basin, trying to keep elevation but squaring up with the bear. Soon they were almost straight across from the constantly moving blackie, which was devouring berries as bears are want to do this time of year.

Mike ranged across the canyon and they were under 400 yards from success. The bear was now moving west at a quickening pace.

With the steep slope and limited cover, Mike tried to get Max on his pack for a sitting shot. He could tell that wasn’t going to do, so they hunkered down and made a move about 70 yards west to a little outcrop that looked promising for a prone setup.

The lichen-covered vantage looked like a bed of cottonballs for Max to make his shot.

Mike had the spotter setup and video rolling when the conditions were finally perfect. Sorry for the long video, but it’s SO FREAKING COOL! Sound Up.

https://vimeo.com/864990942

At the shot, the bear flew to the west and made it past some hemlocks and around the knob of his hill. Mike was sure he’d be laying there dead, but the long walk over is always a gut-check. Max was 100% confident crossing the stream on the way over.

They made it around to where the bear disappeared, and took a good look around. Blood was hard to spot with the moss, red grass and shale. Mike saw a shale slide that looked disturbed, with a patch of hemlock below it. And then 1000 feet of open country.

Sure enough, Max’s bear was in that stand of trees and dead as a door nail.

They had quite a time keeping the bruiser from sliding down the mountain, but 3 hours later they had full packs and were headed back to where they’d come from.

This time, they made sure to find the trail and it took them right down to their car! Mike said someone had spent a lot of time and energy making that trail, even marking it with tape. He said you could even ride a horse on it.

Ironbender, you up for hire when they go back for the goat? 😊

Posted By: MedRiver Re: AK Black Bear Trip - 09/16/23
Great stories and pics. Love it!
Posted By: mibowhunter Re: AK Black Bear Trip - 09/16/23
Very cool !
Congrats to all !
Posted By: Razorhog Re: AK Black Bear Trip - 09/16/23
Nice. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Scotty Re: AK Black Bear Trip - 09/16/23
Thanks for sharing.
Those are great pictures and looks like an awesome hunt.
Posted By: SLM Re: AK Black Bear Trip - 09/16/23
Good stuff, congrats.
Posted By: saddlering Re: AK Black Bear Trip - 09/16/23
Thanks ,have enjoyed the stories Congrads.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: AK Black Bear Trip - 09/16/23
Great pictures, write up….an all around a two thumbs up post. 👍🏼👍🏼
Posted By: pete53 Re: AK Black Bear Trip - 09/16/23
great pictures, congrat,Pete53
Posted By: GRF Re: AK Black Bear Trip - 09/16/23
👍😃👍
Thanks guys! It was so hard not being there for Max's first big game kill, but I knew he and his dad would make me proud. So thankful for good pics and video!
Very cool, Thanks for sharing another great adventure.
Posted By: odonata Re: AK Black Bear Trip - 09/19/23
I do enjoy a good hunting story with lots of pictures. Thanks for posting.

Originally Posted by GTC22
The Hilleberg will get its real test on Kodiak in November.

This past February when the big arctic blast sent New Hampshire temperatures plummeting to a record -108 degrees of wind chill in the White Mountains, I had a friend out backpacking in that to train for a Yellowstone hike. He was on the top of Baldface Mtn & credited his Hilleberg for the fact that he wasn't turned into a Popsicle in the +100 mph winds. He's a big fan of that brand now.

Posted By: pointer Re: AK Black Bear Trip - 09/19/23
Very well done and well told!! Awesome job young man!
Posted By: JBabcock Re: AK Black Bear Trip - 09/30/23
Great story! Thanks!
© 24hourcampfire