Home
Posted By: Fireball2 estimating bear weight - 09/25/23
I've killed quite a few, but usually they come out on my back in pieces so weighed only one. Any tricks to estimating a bears weight? What do you think of this one? I saw him today a couple times and passed him up looking for a pig, but he's a nice bear, no?

Posted By: Fireball2 Re: estimating bear weight - 09/25/23
I figure he needs another 3 or 4 years and 150 pounds. LOL
Posted By: geedubya Re: estimating bear weight - 09/25/23
I would imagine the weight of bears, like hogs, is vastly over-estimated.

Quien Sabe,

GWB
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: estimating bear weight - 09/25/23
He's big enough if I wanted a bear. Good video
Posted By: bwinters Re: estimating bear weight - 09/25/23
I'd prob have shot him but he's not "big". I'm guessing 200 lbs.
It's not easy to judge the size....if I knew how big the trees were it would be easer to get an idea the bears size.....

Not a very big bear.....head looks large so do the ears so its not a very large bear....it might weigh 150 lbs......
Posted By: Osky Re: estimating bear weight - 09/25/23
Seems to have some length, body and neck.
I look for that, a big blocky muzzle, and thickness of the legs and ankles right down to the foot pads.
Like people some get short and fat, some long and lean. Optics can do odd things as well.
I don’t know your common types out there but here in MN I’d guess him to dress better than 300 but that’s purely a guess.

In northern MN we bait them so I always set a marker stick they’ll pass showing back height and one 6 feet away showing standing/walking length. A bear showing length of 6’ on all 4s or walking plus curvature over the back will be better than 6’6” nose to tail and over 300 dressed which is what we strive for in camp. Again, that’s MN bears. Tracks tell us a lot as well.

Osky
Posted By: leemar28 Re: estimating bear weight - 09/25/23
Big ears and leggy.... 150-175 lbs
Posted By: navlav8r Re: estimating bear weight - 09/25/23
Depends on how much uphill is involved in getting him out……..😁
I can say with certainty he outweighs the one I weighed at 250. Beyond that???
Baby bear 149 lbs
Posted By: Troutnut Re: estimating bear weight - 09/25/23
Bear look at the ears and legs. If the ears are on top of the head and prominent and it's a lot of leg showing he's not really big. They're one of the harder animals to judge though. That one might go 200 after a good meal imo.
Posted By: horse1 Re: estimating bear weight - 09/25/23
Black Bears are all 300# @ birth and average 450#+ by age 2. crazy crazy
Posted By: CZ550 Re: estimating bear weight - 09/25/23
It's one thing to try and judge a bear by a pic, another up close and personal! Photos can be very deceptive... even judging a live bear from a distance. I was present when a partner shot a "good bear" getting a drink at a pond 65 yards away. But before he'd come into the open, he'd pushed over a tree with a crash. Dominant bruins of an area often do that to intimidate other bears (or humans) to demonstrate their dominance. As a bear hunter, I've often had that experience when I knew from other evidence that a dominant bear was in the area. But when that particular bear showed up at the pond rather than the bait, he was not that impressive from 65 yards - just "another" bear! My friend shot him broadside just behind the shoulders through the lungs. That bear spun, ran up the hill as though not hit by the 150gr Partition and disappeared in the surrounding bush. Silence! It was getting very dark as the sun had gone down 1/2 hr earlier. Then he began to ball - eleven times, recorded on video. That's how I found him in a thicket of briars using a flashlight, just his hind end sticking out. My partner finally caught up and the two of us pulled him from the brambles, slid him back down hill... and he asked me "how much does he weigh?" "350 to 400 lbs", I said. An hour later, before field dressing, he weighed 399 lbs - I would never have guessed that from what I saw at the pond. Likely, I would have said 250.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca
Posted By: ironbender Re: estimating bear weight - 09/25/23
Originally Posted by geedubya
I would imagine the weight of bears, like hogs, is vastly over-estimated.

Quien Sabe,

GWB
Definition of ground shrinkage.
Posted By: Troutnut Re: estimating bear weight - 09/25/23
If he looks like either of these squeeze the trigger
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
So we've got alwaysaloser @149 and a buddy of mine in Alaska says it's bigger than his 300 pounder. So you guys are in about the same boat I am. Nobody knows. LOL
Posted By: navlav8r Re: estimating bear weight - 09/25/23
Originally Posted by Troutnut

That second one is about to pop out of his skin. 😳
Posted By: WMR Re: estimating bear weight - 09/25/23
Not a trophy bear. Head looks kind of wedge shaped and skinny rather than wide. Ears are upright and relatively large and not too far apart. Lots of distance between belly and the ground. Immature animal. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it! 🤔
Posted By: Troutnut Re: estimating bear weight - 09/26/23
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Originally Posted by Troutnut

That second one is about to pop out of his skin. 😳
Pretty sure a buddy of mine killed that one. Dressed out 440 the next morning on scales
Posted By: bluefish Re: estimating bear weight - 09/26/23
That is a big bear.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: estimating bear weight - 09/26/23
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
He's big enough if I wanted a bear. Good video

Kowa 554 Prominar set at 45x and phoneskope.
Posted By: hanco Re: estimating bear weight - 09/28/23
I ain’t worth a cshit at guessing pig weight, wouldn’t be worth a cshit at bears either. They always weigh less than what I come up with. The same with deer antlers
Posted By: bowmanh Re: estimating bear weight - 09/28/23
Originally Posted by leemar28
Big ears and leggy.... 150-175 lbs
I haven't killed a lot of bears but this seems about right to me.
Posted By: Kenneth66 Re: estimating bear weight - 10/07/23
Yeah , looks like he could go another couple years
Ears to close together and long , I’d guess 150-200
200 tops
Kenneth
Posted By: Bill_N Re: estimating bear weight - 10/11/23
I've shot a couple in the spring in Quebec. They're toughest animal to judge that I've hunted. I'm with Kenneth on that one. 200 Max
Posted By: BC30cal Re: estimating bear weight - 10/11/23
Troutnut;
Good afternoon, I hope the day is behaving and this finds you and those you care about well.

Thanks for the photos of the well fed bruins, they're what we sometimes term "a freezer that sprouted legs" sort of bear.

When you've said it was 440lb, was that head, hide and internal organs included?

Bears to me are always a real nettlesome thing to estimate weight on since a "freezer that sprouted legs" that's 5' long will be considerably lighter than say a 7' version of the same thing.

The heaviest we processed here went 225lb hanging carcass weight if memory serves. It's head was 28lb so a pretty fair turnip on it for sure.

It was an old male judging by the teeth, just unbelievably fat - buddy rendered 2 coffee cans of lard from it - but it was 5'1" nose to tail so not a 600lb bear by any stretch.

We don't see bears much longer than 6' here and honestly I don't believe I've seen more than a handful of those.

As always, it's a fun topic and I for one enjoy seeing some of the bruisers from other parts of the continent.

All the best and good hunting.

Dwayne
Posted By: 8MMX57JS Re: estimating bear weight - 10/12/23
175-200lb bear in my books.

This bear in this picture was a 6' bear and weighed around 250-275lbs.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/dQYnN9S.jpg?2[/img]
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: estimating bear weight - 10/13/23
Carry a ¼" tape.
There is a very accurate matrix based on girth combined with length. It was created my Al Lecount and Gary Alt
© 24hourcampfire