Home
Posted By: CBB15 Trapping Hogs - 10/02/23
We are starting to see more and more hogs on our land. We have traps baited with corn and the hogs aren't eating the corn. I have a camera set up that shows the hogs completely ignoring the corn. I have never seen anything like it.

The deer sure like the corn though and we have caught a couple deer in the trap.

It appears to me the hogs are grubbing brush piles for snakes, lizards, etc.

Any advice for bait other than corn? Maybe old fish oil?
Posted By: wytex Re: Trapping Hogs - 10/02/23
Mix some diesel with the corn.
Posted By: JPro Re: Trapping Hogs - 10/02/23
I have heard some guys say that they quit putting diesel on their corn when they saw deer on game cameras eating the tainted corn. They were not sure about the health of their deer if they were going to eat a lot of petroleum.

I have never heard of a pig that would not eat corn. Perhaps they are trap shy? Will they eat corn at other locations without traps?
Posted By: CBB15 Re: Trapping Hogs - 10/02/23
Originally Posted by JPro
I have heard some guys say that they quit putting diesel on their corn when they saw deer on game cameras eating the tainted corn. They were not sure about the health of their deer if they were going to eat a lot of petroleum.

I have never heard of a pig that would not eat corn. Perhaps they are trap shy? Will they eat corn at other locations without traps?

We have been putting diesel in and around the trap in an effort to keep the deer out of it. May add more. I have heard of people pouring motor oil too. Seems hogs like the petroleum.
We have also placed corn with a camera near fresh and active hog sign (away from any traps) and the hogs just pass right by it. Craziest thing I have ever seen.
It is like they are only eating snakes and such. I thought about putting some buffalo or carp in a trap...
Posted By: ruffcutt Re: Trapping Hogs - 10/02/23
I know nothing about trapping hogs but maybe adding hog s hit to inside your traps as a confidence attraction along with bait. If the hogs are corn shy try staking down some roadkill inside the trap too.
Posted By: shortfinger Re: Trapping Hogs - 10/02/23
Try something sweet and smelly, like grape koolaid powder or molasses.
Posted By: wytex Re: Trapping Hogs - 10/02/23
Originally Posted by shortfinger
Try something sweet and smelly, like grape koolaid powder or molasses.

That works too ^^^^.
Posted By: louiethedrifter Re: Trapping Hogs - 10/02/23
Ask Hanco, he is the subject matter expert of trapping hogs.
Posted By: Mohawk Re: Trapping Hogs - 10/02/23
You might try a different bait. I have used sweet potatoes, deer guts, and a bunch of other stuff. Hogs will eat just about anything including each other.
Posted By: 44mc Re: Trapping Hogs - 10/02/23
what hogs eat is some thing in their place of the country . what they eat in FL GA TX TEN might not work were you live . peoples sent at the trap is the biggest prob. I have found in 50 years on trapping hogs . don't take a bunch of people to the trap or were non rubber boots or drive up to the trap when checking it.
Posted By: hanco Re: Trapping Hogs - 10/03/23
I rub corn oil all over my shoes and hands, park a hunerd yards away, caught 15 this weekend. I use plain corn, traps have a feeder that goes off once a day, so they are used to coming in there.

Good luck!
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

One was airborne
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Trapping Hogs - 10/03/23
I would suspect human scent is why OP’s hogs won’t eat his corn. They have great noses. Agree, them passing on corn just doesn’t sound like them. They eat about anything, including dead hog carcasses. Nasty critters.

Trappers locally draw blood on dead ones. Good bud reports that over half were positive for Brucellosis. You don’t wanna get that. Bad stuff. Wear gloves.

I shoot’em, generally don’t eat’em. Well maybe young ones cooked well.

DF
Posted By: CBB15 Re: Trapping Hogs - 10/03/23
I will give you guys the benefit of doubt on the scent. Issue. You are probably right. Although, I am not doing anything differently than we used to and never had a problem catching them before. Albeit on a different property.

I might hang a feeder above the trap and lock the door open for a couple weeks. Get them used to it all before setting the trap door.

I don't like these traps because they are enclosed at the top. Keeping the deer out of them has proven damn near impossible. One buck already tire himself up pretty good.

I would have never thought a hog would care more about scent than a deer. The farm is a heavy agriculture area so it isn't a lack of food issue.
Pigs and Aoudads have better noses than deer from what I’ve seen. I’ve had deer walk over where I’ve walked, pigs do a double back flip when they crossed it an hour later.

I had a guy that traps pigs for people tell me he mixes old motor oil and diesel with corn, pigs eat it, roll in the oily residue, deer won’t go in.

I cut this trap down recently, cause I caught a couple of deer, was 5’, now 4’ tall.

Hanco, shoot me a picture of your trap door and trigger mechanism when you can, if you remember next time you are there.
Originally Posted by CBB15
Hanco, shoot me a picture of your trap door and trigger mechanism when you can, if you remember next time you are there.

1/16” cable goes from 2x2 holding gate up to an 8” cap, through an eye on stake, to back fence. This was taken before I cut it down to 4’ tall

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]free pic hosting

Other gates I’ve made, but bastards can climb welded wire

I quit making 3 gates, all you need is one

Built this trap thang in east Texas where you could get pole in ground, has roller bearing holding gate up.
Gate is a metal shelf, had to keep it locked up to keep others from fuuuucking with it. Never had a deer problem with this trap in Livingston

Posted By: wytex Re: Trapping Hogs - 10/03/23
Yeah those enclosed traps are impossible to keep deer out of.

Can you take the gate end off of it and make a corral trap with panels ?

And letting them get used to it by leaving gate open is a great idea but will cost you bait.

I would listen to hanco as well, he gets it done on hogs.
Thanks Hanco.
Originally Posted by wytex
Yeah those enclosed traps are impossible to keep deer out of.

Can you take the gate end off of it and make a corral trap with panels ?

And letting them get used to it by leaving gate open is a great idea but will cost you bait.

I would listen to hanco as well, he gets it done on hogs.

That is exactly what I want to do. The other guys think I am chopping up a perfectly good trap but I don't really care because I want dead hogs. Such is deer camp...
At the old place we always made coral type traps and hammered them.
I have the feeder in my pig traps go off one second, once a day. 50 pounds lasts 6 weeks, gets them used to coming every day. I have it go off at 9 pm. I trap in my deer feeder pens about six months out of the year.
© 24hourcampfire