Home
Posted By: las Interesting antlers - 10/17/23
Normal caribou have separate bases for bez and shovel. Like this:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Not this: When I showed it to Sitka Deer over 15 years ago, he said "No shovel there, those are just f'ked up bez. But what does he know? smile

I've posted pics of the moose rack before, also.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Interesting antlers - 10/19/23
Yeah, Sitka deer is full of schiest!

Did something change? Laughing!
Posted By: Westman Re: Interesting antlers - 10/19/23
The Miracle Grow oughta help them get bigger...
Posted By: las Re: Interesting antlers - 10/19/23
Just yanking your chain a bit, Art. I'll defer to your more experienced judgement, but I did wonder if it isn't a wierd shovel instead, given it's position right next to the skull, as are shovel bases.

"Re-structuring" all the garage stuff- hauled pickup load to transfer site/"mall" yesterday and hung the 40-mile caribou rack from 3 years ago above one my son killed here on the Kenai awhile back. (Killey River Herd; re- introduced from Nelchina stock originally).

I'm not quite so proud of mine now.... smile

Here's a better angle on the weird boy, also from behind Tustemena Lake/Killey Herd. His face was the most scarred up caribou face I've ever seen.

Posted By: GRF Re: Interesting antlers - 10/20/23
My daughter shot a bull near Providence Lake NWT with a similar “no shovels funky bez” look.

Cool looking antlers las
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Interesting antlers - 10/21/23
I don't know anything about caribou horns. But I know a guy that died who had one mounted. If I ever end up with that head and I could, he's my wife's relative, I'm going to put those horns in strategic spots in the woods so they get found and cause some kind of confusion.
© 24hourcampfire