Home
I'll start,
I have several that I plan on using this year. First up is a Model 70 in 7 Rem mag that has never been fired other than @ the range. I've had it for over 15 years. It shoots 139 Interlocks into about 5/8" @ 100 so it's ready. I really don't know why I've never hunted with it. I did loan it to a friend from work one-time years ago, but he never got a shot.

Next up is a Ruger #1 in 45-70. I did take it one time in 2023 but.... I let the doe walk.

3rd is a NIB 1991 Model 70 Sporter in .243. It's never been shot. I did put a Nikon Buckmaster (bought off the fire) on it in Talley QD's . I'll get a load worked up for it before the season.

4th is the Ruger Redhawk 44 Mag. I'll probably take it along as a target of opportunity gun. I've loaded a ton of ammo for it so I can practice this summer and hopefully get proficient with it.

Last is a Marlin 336A in 30-30 AI. Hunted a few times with it years ago, but the opportunity never presented itself.
That should take me through the season grin
Browning Safari in 243 hopefully.
1st is a NIB Winchester 1895 in .405win. Had a Williams receiver sight installed. Have never killed a deer without using a scope, or with a wood stocked rifle for that matter.

2nd is a Seekins PH2 Urban Camo in 6.5prc with a Nightforce scope.

3rd is a ss/syn Ruger 77/44 that I bought for the straight wall requirements in the southern part of my goofy state
I have an older 7x57 Savage 111 that I never have killed anything with. I hope to change that this week.

Likewise a Model 70 Featherweight 7x57 unblemished.

A 99F Savage .250-3000 that I’ve only fired at paper a couple of times.

Also a new Weatherby Vanguard 6.5-.300 Weatherby that needs bloody-ing, too.
Simple guy. Same thing I used last year. Tikka t3x 6 creed
Ha! Some of my hunting partners have ask me If I've ever hunted with the same rifle twice.
Yes I have but i do love trying different rifles and bullets.
A Kimber BGR in 270 Winchester
Originally Posted by Featherweight6555
Ha! Some of my hunting partners have ask me If I've ever hunted with the same rifle twice.

Not very often, always coveting something I don’t have.
My LH Sako 85 Hunter in 30-06 (top) is shooting great at the range. Unfortunately, no deer have been kind enough this last season to appear while I was carrying it. My Ruger #1 in 6.5x55 was my lucky rifle to be carrying in 2023. Hopefully I'll take something with the Sako later this year.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Nice!
I bloodied my Sako AV Kokotukki .338 on my ‘23 Moose. I carried my AII .308 carbine, but didnt take a shot on deer. I just bought an AI 6PPC hunter, if I don’t get out for coyotes before it gets too warm, I’ll have to try it on gophers and Prairie dogs this spring. I just picked up 1k 66 grain 6mm Fowler bullets from an auction, they should work in one of my .243/6mm rifles.
My 375 H&H.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Thats fun. We usually try to take a doe or something with something different every year. Was going to use a Dragoon this year but things got in the way. Have done it with pistols down to 380 so far. Rifles up to 50 bmg. Shotguns 20 and 12. Archery everything but a stone head.

But to be deadly... the current one is a 6.5 creed moor and have verified zeros to 1000 with it. In fact shoot a shot at 1000 almost every week from Nov/ first of January. Just to verify.
Don't even want to think about it!

ya!

GWB
Used 6 guns to kill deer this year, five calibers, two were new. Have two on my regular rotation that didn’t get used this season. Don’t have specific plans to get anything new, but expect I’ll get a couple more before fall. First day I go out I’ll probably waste an hour deciding which gun to take.
The Fudd thread got me thinking.

I am going to use my Dad's 50 year old Rem 760 pump. Put the open sights back on, replaced the VX II 4-12 Leupold with a gloss Vari-X III Leupold 2.5-8.

Found some Federal 150gr RN factory ammo.
1. TC Contender with a 10" barrel in 30 Herrett.
2. Remington m14 in 30 Remington
3. TC Encore with a 23" MGM barrel in 500 Linebaugh
4. 1908 Brazilian Mauser in 7x57
5. 1944 '98 Mauser in 8x57
Originally Posted by EdM
My 375 H&H.

How do you like the eye relief on that scope at 9X Ed? I ended up getting the Credo 3x9 since I saw they advertised 2.2" on high power. Seemed a little short for my 338. How's it feel on the 375?
New Tikka CTR in 6.5 CM
Howa 1500 SS in 375 Ruger (If I get a chest freezer and do a Nilgai hunt)

Remington 700 Mountain Rifle in 280 Rem.

Remington 700 in .223

CVA Accura .50
Two rifles not yet blooded....

Ruger #1A in .308win
Steyr Prohunter .30-06

Still thinking about a new 6.5PRC or .257 mag
Weatherby Mark V 338/06 Ackley Improved.
Kimber Classic 8400 300 WSM
Winchester 70 FWT 7x57 (Shilen barrel)

Now I just have to get my deposit ready for my cow elk hunt for "next late Fall"! (Landowners Tag)
I am putting in for all the antlerless CWMU Hunts in May. I have alot of points added up for antelope and deer, maybe cow elk. If I draw the cow elk, I can add her the Landowners Tag. (Unless they change the Law)
So "just maybe" I can get all three bloody!
I really need to get something with my Marlin 1895G 45-70
TC Contender 14” barrel in 7x30 Waters
Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter in 44 magnum
Henry 45 Colt
A Tikka T3 in a in a 9.3x62 with a Leopold 1x4 scope on a black bear and moose hunt in NB. Keeping my fingers crossed and drawing again this year.

Also a stainless Rem. Model 7 in the classic 7mm-08 cartridge with the same said B&C Medalist stock also needs to get out of the house a little more.
I have a 700 KS in 280 Rem that I have never shot anything with although it has been carried a few times, maybe this year. Have not had it out for several years.
I think I am going to take out the Remington Alpha 1 in 308 and the Tikka T3x in 223. I take most of my deer with crossbow anymore. Just seems like there are a lot more deer moving around during archery than rifle anymore.
I'll start,
I have several that I plan on using this year. First up is a Model 70 in 7 Rem mag that has never been fired other than @ the range. I've had it for over 15 years. It shoots 139 Interlocks into about 5/8" @ 100 so it's ready. I really don't know why I've never hunted with it. I did loan it to a friend from work one-time years ago, but he never got a shot.

Next up is a Ruger #1 in 45-70. I did take it one time in 2023 but.... I let the doe walk.

3rd is a NIB 1991 Model 70 Sporter in .243. It's never been shot. I did put a Nikon Buckmaster (bought off the fire) on it in Talley QD's . I'll get a load worked up for it before the season.

4th is the Ruger Redhawk 44 Mag. I'll probably take it along as a target of opportunity gun. I've loaded a ton of ammo for it so I can practice this summer and hopefully get proficient with it.

Last is a Marlin 336A in 30-30 AI. Hunted a few times with it years ago, but the opportunity never presented itself.
That should take me through the season grin

I have two, 7 mags that rarely get used now, but I have one loaded with the 139's at about 3100 fps. It is amazingly accurate and I have had good results with them on deer and antelope. I just prefer my 260s and Creeds, now.
TC Contender in .30-30 will get first use on does this coming season. Thinking the .375 Whitworth I picked up may get a sitting or two.

GreggH
I've got 3 that I had put together last year and late 2022 that I haven't had a chance to hunt with yet.

Customized Rem 700 in 300WM, blue printed action, Manners EH3 Bartlein 2B 24" barrel, M16 extractor, milled bolt stop, TriggerTech "Special", Graphite Black CeraKote:

Rem M7 re-barreled in .260REM with a PacNor 20" Fluted, Manners EH8, Timney trigger, Graphite Black CeraKote. I finished it in 2022, and have hunted with it, but just haven't seen anything worth shooting:

Rem 7600, re-bored to 358Win (JES) from .243, barrel cut to 19", re-stocked with synthetic, Burnt Bronze CeraKote. I put it together for our annual deer drive. The other guys all use lever guns and I just wanted to be different:

Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by EdM
My 375 H&H.

How do you like the eye relief on that scope at 9X Ed? I ended up getting the Credo 3x9 since I saw they advertised 2.2" on high power. Seemed a little short for my 338. How's it feel on the 375?

Not an issue. I believe what Trijicon lists is incorrect. I need to check via flashlight. Maybe this weekend. This is a fairly light rifle too.
Thanks Ed. I’d appreciate it. Been looking at them but that eye relief worried me.
Gotta blood the CVA Scout in 444 Marlin that I picked up last spring. Only had it out a couple times this past season and I almost, but not quite, got a buck with it. In the woods, wet leaves, and he snuck in on me from my right side and I never heard him coming in. Then he winded me and took off like a rocket. The Scout will be at the top of the list for deer season '24, as I have to redeem myself.
Chuck_R that .358 is badass!
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by EdM
My 375 H&H.

Not an issue. I believe what Trijicon lists is incorrect. I need to check via flashlight. Maybe this weekend. This is a fairly light rifle too.

Ed, if you don’t mind, I’m interested in the tube/mounting length of that scope.
1980's vintage Savage 111 in 30-06 bought second hand at local pawn shop, I'm not sure it was ever shot, mounted an SWFA 6X on top. It will be my backup/elk gun to my 6.5 Manbun.

A tikka t3 308 I bought for the wife last year, but we did not get to go hunting at all. Maybe this year...
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by EdM
My 375 H&H.

Ed, if you don’t mind, I’m interested in the tube/mounting length of that scope.

https://www.trijicon.com/uploads/pr...loads/AccuPoint_Dimension_Chart_2020.pdf
Originally Posted by Beretta_Shooter916
Chuck_R that .358 is badass!

Thanks, I stole many ideas I found around the net and here..

I saw one like it at a gun show in WA state when I was stationed there, a 35W that someone had chopped and hard chromed. Perfect for those conditions. Unfortunately I had just ordered a Rem M7 in 350 Rem Mag.. and it got away. So I finally found a reasonable donor and had one built.
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by EdM
My 375 H&H.

https://www.trijicon.com/uploads/pr...loads/AccuPoint_Dimension_Chart_2020.pdf

Thanks Ed! I don’t know why I couldn’t find that.
Originally Posted by Chuck_R
I've got 3 that I had put together last year and late 2022 that I haven't had a chance to hunt with yet.

Customized Rem 700 in 300WM, blue printed action, Manners EH3 Bartlein 2B 24" barrel, M16 extractor, milled bolt stop, TriggerTech "Special", Graphite Black CeraKote:

Rem M7 re-barreled in .260REM with a PacNor 20" Fluted, Manners EH8, Timney trigger, Graphite Black CeraKote. I finished it in 2022, and have hunted with it, but just haven't seen anything worth shooting:

Rem 7600, re-bored to 358Win (JES) from .243, barrel cut to 19", re-stocked with synthetic, Burnt Bronze CeraKote. I put it together for our annual deer drive. The other guys all use lever guns and I just wanted to be different:

Gee thanks. Your pics of that 7600 reminded me that I need to send my 7600 off to JES to become a 9.3x62. I've been wanting to put a synthetic stock on it and or course eBay actually had some this time. I'll have some 'splainin to do when the accountant wife sees the bill.
Simple hopes, to have and bloody Marlin 1895 in 45-70 of course, and 336 in 35 Remington.
Who knows, maybe this will be the year I use the .500 S&W for something other than an insane range toy
A Winchester 70 2506 that I picked up from MedRiver and a Ruger 77 in 243
Originally Posted by JLimbo
Originally Posted by Chuck_R

Gee thanks. Your pics of that 7600 reminded me that I need to send my 7600 off to JES to become a 9.3x62. I've been wanting to put a synthetic stock on it and or course eBay actually had some this time. I'll have some 'splainin to do when the accountant wife sees the bill.

and the JES bill got bigger, it was $450 to do mine in NOV..

I did get a very good deal on eBay for the synthetic stock and a couple magazines.
Seekins Element 7 PRC

Tikka T3X Lite D-18 Veil 6.5 PRC

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
I've been having fun with two "new to me" rifles, both Sauer bolt actions. One "202 Euro " model, wood stock / steel receiver, the other an "202 Outback" with aluminum receiver, synthetic stock. It came with a lightweight .270 Win. fluted barrel.

I also have four other barrels to mix/ match that will fit either receiver. 9.3x62 22", 30-06 20" with battue sights, .308 24", and 7x64 22". I bought four sets of excellent German EAW QD pivot rings so I can mount and swap some good Kahles and Kaps and Leupold scopes. All barrels shoot very well.

It's fun to have such a versatile, interesting and well made bunch of options to choose from - and with which I can hunt pretty much any medium to large game.

Because stocks and barrels and scopes remove easily for handy transport, and reassemble into various configurations just as well, I'll probably take the Sauer on a safari in Mozambique in July. Should serve admirably as a plains game rifle with the 9.3x62 barrel.
If'n I can get it to shoot a bit straighter, the 7X57 M70 fwt will get a 2nd try from 4 years ago.

A barely visible caribou at 15 feet doesn't really count. Lucky shot, in the fog like that. A scope set on 8X, doesn't work all that well under those circumstances either. smile
This list is way to long but what's a Loonie to do?
Ruger #1 405, #1 375 H&H, #1 35 Whelan, Dakota M10 6.5X55, Pre64 M70 358, Browning M1885's in 25-06 & 6MM Rem, Browning Safari Grade (Sako) 243, custom 250 Savage.
I've got the part to a new 308 Win, McMillan stock due today, so hopeful to have it put together this evening, got a new FFP Leupold Mark 4HD that will sit on top, will try to get it in the woods next fall!
Putting together an 8mmrem mag need to find something for it to do ,likewise a220 swift for fox and yotes.
Hoping to re bloody a 300WM that is at the smith being re barreled now.....looking to cash in some points this year
Originally Posted by 1beaver_shooter
Putting together an 8mmrem mag need to find something for it to do ,likewise a220 swift for fox and yotes.

Details on the 8mag?
Been downsizing in a serious way. Down to 6 big game rifles with maybe two of those going down the road.

Of what's left the 275Rigby will continue to see the most use and in crappy weather there's a SS 700 30-06 in a Brown Precision that gets the nod. The '06 has not been fired at game yet.
Originally Posted by EdM
My 375 H&H.

Sorry for the annoying question but what mount is that? Want to put the same scope on my M70 9.3X62. That looks like it would position it far enough forward for me, I'm a bit of a stock crawler.
I got a bucket list rifle last year. Lefty Weatherby MKV 270WBY. If I draw mule deer again it might get the call.
Either my 270 win super grade or Weatherby vanguard s2 in 30-06. I’ll use only one for the 2024 season, both deer and elk. Probably the 30-06. Over the last few years I’ve given all my other rifles to kids, grandkids, or close friends.
A Ruger tanger Stutzen in 308. Barrel looks too small in diameter to get a JES rebore to 358. So I need to blood it as is next year. 760 in 358 and a Savage 116 rebore in 9.3-62 needs blooded, thanks Diamond Jim. RZ.
Add another to my list. I picked up a very nice Model 70 Stainless 30-06 from a member here. I'll have to work up a Speer Grand Slam or Hornady SST load for it but I'll be ready. Dang deer season seems a long ways away...
Originally Posted by OGB
Originally Posted by EdM
My 375 H&H.

Sorry for the annoying question but what mount is that? Want to put the same scope on my M70 9.3X62. That looks like it would position it far enough forward for me, I'm a bit of a stock crawler.

Sorry, just saw this. Near Manufacturing out of Alberta. Not inexpensive but a flawless mount.
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by OGB
Originally Posted by EdM
My 375 H&H.

Sorry, just saw this. Near Manufacturing out of Alberta. Not inexpensive but a flawless mount.
Very nice, thanks.
The only rifle I have that hasn’t killed an animal is a late 70s 700 ADL in 30-06 with the bowling pin finish that I bought for the action. The gun is just about spotless so I might just keep it as is and use it this year.
As of a couple days ago I'm taking the 7600 off the list of "un-blooded":

I bought a Ruger American compact in 7mm08 in December. I want to take it pig hunting in Texas this next January.

kwg
1949 Marlin 336 .32 Win Special. I need to get a taller front sight for it. It is 5" high at 50 yards with the receiver sight bottomed out.
Didn't get drawn for elk so I guess it's deer season as the backup plan for the M70 EW if I get around to loading for it. Otherwise it'll be javelina with M70 SuperShadow CRPF or one of the AR's.
Weatherby Outfitter in 6.5 Creedmoor

Ruger Alaskan 375 Ruger, original without the stupid brake
A couple of hogs dropped over the past couple of days. Early Rem M700 6.5 Creedmoor with Hornady ammo.
These three in 405 Winchester need to be bloooded

ya!

GWB
GWB tell me about that double rifle please. I have two new rifles to try to get bloodied this coming season. A Browning Safari Grade circa 1962 made by Sako with a medium heavy barrel in 243. Load development was quick with IMR4350. I fell prey to a Kimber Super America also in 243. Just to nice a rifle to resist.
GWB tell me about that double rifle please. I have two new rifles to try to get bloodied this coming season. A Browning Safari Grade circa 1962 made by Sako with a medium heavy barrel in 243. Load development was quick with IMR4350. I fell prey to a Kimber Super America also in 243. Just to nice a rifle to resist.
That double is one by H Burgsmuller & Sohne.

https://www.germanhuntingguns.com/archives/burgsmuller-h-sohne-kreiesen-am-harz/

I was fortunate to snag it.

I was pleasantly supprised at how well it was regulated using the factory Hornady 300 gr. Interlocks.

Minute of Hoglet @ 50 yds.

it is drilled and tapped so I will most likely mount an RMR.

ya!

GWB
I have a Remington 700 LSS in 7mm Rem Mag that I should try to get something with this year, as well as a Model 94 .30-30 that I just loaded some ammo for.

I also have a custom .25-06 that a buddy lent to me that I intend to try on some ground hogs, it’s twisted for light bullets, so my next project will be loading up some 75-grain V-Max’s for it.
GWB- Thanks for the pics that sure is a nice rifle. My 405 is a Ruger #1 and it likes the 300 grain Hornady as well. Hopefully you can make some bacon with yours and I can make venison with mine.
My S&W 460 XVR! I’d really like to punch a hole in something with one of my cast 400’s! memtb
Tikka t3x 6 creed that's perfect
Ruger .280. Gonna rule a few beanfields.
© 24hourcampfire