Home
I put in for deer and antelope for myself and the youth big game combo for my son. No go again this year as we were denied last fall as well. Fingers crossed on the remaining antelope draw. How did everyone else do in the MT deer & elk draw?
Struck out on the nonresident combo for the second year in a row.
Originally Posted by borden811
Struck out on the nonresident combo for the second year in a row.

Traditional "Elk and Mule Deer Western States" are going to have tag numbers/drawing buggered up for a decade IF there are some decent winters that allow especially Mule Deer herds to re-build.

DIY Non-Resident hunters in MT are realistically looking at getting combo tags no more often than every other year (unless stupid lucky) and it could easily go out to 3yrs between tags since folks hunting with outfitters are able to purchase an extra preference point.
Struck out on deer and elk drawing, and antelope is still pending.
We don’t hunt with outfitters, and have been buying the extra point for the last couple/few years. Been every other year for us drawing the last 6 years(this would have been the 6th. This will be the first time it’s taken 3 years, assuming we draw next year. I don’t see it getting any better either.
Just got done securing the lodging, my partner and I drew a Mt General Deer Combo license (non resident), two years in a row, I told my buddy we just buy a point and apply this year to get in the running for next year, Boom we are in again. I have a friend who does not buy points and he drew but on his 3 or 4th year, his wife did not draw and about the same years. Didn't expect a tag so i did not do any pre draw lodging booking so it was a scramble but found a good set-up, now if we are not in a week of a blizzard we will be good. I should be able to kill a bunch of pheasants too, if the plan works LOL
Congrats. Sitting this year out. Probably be back at it next year.
Nephew and I drew general deer combo again with one point. We drew in 20, struck out with one bought point in 21, drew in 22 with 2 points, and have drawn 23,24 with only one point each year, defying the odds again.
Good deal scottf270!
I seem to have the opposite luck in big game draws. If it is an 80% odds draw, I can seem to find that 20% every time. grin
I didn't apply for Montana as I will draw a Colorado bull elk permit this year, but I'll be in the drawing next year for general deer.
General deer for me. Will hunt my old stomping grounds behind mom’s house.

It isn’t much but I’ll take it…
Originally Posted by JGray
So as a resident you aren't guaranteed tags but non-residents may end up drawing and getting what tags a resident can have??

Never understood this.
Montana residents are guaranteed general deer and elk tags.
I am guessing JGray means he struck out in getting a special draw. Assuming he is a resident, he would still be getting general tags.
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I am guessing JGray means he struck out in getting a special draw. Assuming he is a resident, he would still be getting general tags.
👍🏿👍🏿
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Correct - resident special draw results only...
Nothing for me yet. Holding out hope for an elk B or maybe an alternate on the gen combo.
Our group of six drew three combo's, seems like every other year is about the deal. Gonna buy an OTC cow tag and enjoy myself!
Originally Posted by JGray

same...19 years now for deer.....bob
got a landowner non res deer tag again

Antelope results aren't out til end of July, August
43rd straight year for Montana tags.

Bought a NR OTC combo in March for half price, good to be born in Montana.
My boys both have BG combos and I drew the deer combo, fingers crossed one of us draws something else as well.
One of my best friends moved to Mt. last fall. He sent me a text showing he had drawn archery elk. He is stoked. I'm very happy for him.
© 24hourcampfire