Home
Posted By: Oregon45 The Cult of the 9.3x62 - 08/16/07
Who's got one? This cartridge is a 338 Win Mag in a 270 package: It hits like Elmer Keith but taps your shoulder like Jack O'Connor waking you up from one of his books sleep All that and a standard action length too!

But seriously, the 9.3 is gaining in popularity and with new bullet offerings coming online each year it should only gain new adherents. Mine is a CZ 550 FS and it shoots like a house afire!
Posted By: Ngwenyama Re: The Cult of the 9.3x62 - 08/16/07
I have a CZ 550 FS as well. Very nice medium bore that's a pussy cat to shoot.
The 9.3X62 is the perfect big brothjer to the 7x57. Every bit as effective as the believers state and better than the detractors admit.

When a cartridge offers mild recoil with an honest 300 yard trajectory, 5 shot magazine capacity in a standard action, topped off with a legal caliber and bullet weight selection for most dangerous game......

AGW
Posted By: Oregon45 Re: The Cult of the 9.3x62 - 08/16/07
Everyone who's shot mine has remarked on how little it recoils. Of course, these guys own 300 win mags, 300WSMs, 338s, etc.

From a reloading standpoint, I can't stand burning more than 60 grains of powder in anything now throwing at least a 400 grain bullet, another reason I like the 9.3x62.
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: The Cult of the 9.3x62 - 08/16/07
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
The 9.3X62 is the perfect big brothjer to the 7x57. Every bit as effective as the believers state and better than the detractors admit.

When a cartridge offers mild recoil with an honest 300 yard trajectory, 5 shot magazine capacity in a standard action, topped off with a legal caliber and bullet weight selection for most dangerous game......

AGW

I'll take that.

All I know, is that I like mine plenty.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: The Cult of the 9.3x62 - 08/16/07
Unfortunately, it is NOT universally legal in Africa for dangerous game. In Zimbabwe, for instance, even though the 9.3 bullet diameter (.366") is legal, the minimum legal energy level cannot quite be reached even by safe handloading, so the 9.3x64 is actually the legal minimum. In other countries the .375 is the bottom rung.

As for range, I would personally even stretch the 9.3x62 beyond 300 yards, though that is about as far as I have used it on the animals I have taken in the U.S., Canada and Africa. When loaded to around 60,000 psi, 250-grain bullets can be given about 2650 fps from a 24" barrel. I have found that velocity level, when used with a relatively sleek bullet, to be effective on big game at 400 yards or even a little more. Or at least it has worked fine at those ranges with 160's from the 7x57 and 180's from the .30-06, so I assume animals hit with a 250-grain 9.3 at 400 yards would also not be long for the world.

On my last trip to Africa (early May this year) I took Aussie's perfect combo of the 7x57 and 9.3x62. Oddly enough, another guy on the hunt did exactly the same thing!

JB
Posted By: Wally Re: The Cult of the 9.3x62 - 08/16/07
My Dad's 550 also shoots lights out. I helped him work up a load with the 250 Accubond and RL 15, that gets an honest 2650 fps. It flys unbelieveably flat to 300 yards. It really got our attention, when comparing it to 270's and 30-06's.

Then we decided to shoot one of the accubonds into a Ballistic Test Tube at 40 yds. The wound channel in the wax was incredible, and the bullet didn't stop. We're going to have to make a longer tube to catch one of those babies! shocked

Steve
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: The Cult of the 9.3x62 - 08/16/07
Those accubonds are not a premium bullet, just so you know! Just a slightly tougher Ballistic Tip.

Not.

-jeff
I have heard that. Unfortunately, none of the animals I've shot with them have heard the same thing, including kudu and gemsbok shot from "one corner to the other."

JB
Posted By: free_miner Re: The Cult of the 9.3x62 - 08/16/07
what sort of powders and loads are you guys using to get 2650 from a 250?

thanks for any help.

I also succumbed to the 9.3 mafia here and at AR. I now have a 1952 M70 rebored by Jim Dubell that is one of my most accurate hunting rifles, and recently picked up a Husqvarna in 9.3x62 with a commercial FN c-ring 98 action to play with.
If only we could somehow get these darn bullets to read just think of the sizzle power with that....grins

Last fall I watched as 3 elk take Nozler naps via a NBT (all one shot kills), a bullet thats not supposed to work on elk. Hmm

Dober
Posted By: DSC Re: The Cult of the 9.3x62 - 08/16/07
Short of dangerous game, won't a .338-06 AI with 250 (and more BC) do 2650?
Didn't for me. That's 338 Win Mag territory.

Steve
The 2, count em 2 338/06's that I've been around would both do 2600 with the 250's when running one of the 4350's. ONe had a 22" tube and the other is a 23" tube.

I would have no problem betting on a AI OKH running a 250 out at 2650.

That said I have come to this place where I sort out what a round will run at top end then I back off a bit. My present load sends a 250 downstream at 2500 and with the Burris B Plex I can easily sanction elk to 500 if I choose.

I may just use this 2500 fps load for all comers this fall from lopes to elk.

Dober
I HAD a 338-06 AI that would loosen primer pockets, at 2700 fps with 225 Hornadys and RL15, so bad that I couldn't reuse the brass. With 4350 I couldn't get enough powder in the case to get close to that velocity. I guess that's another example of how individualistic rifles can be.

My question is why push a 338-06 so hard to get within 50 to 100 fps of a 338 WM? Just get the 338 WM and do it easy.

Steve

Yea, there seems to be an American propensity to taking a cartridge, then loading it to the gills to try and make it do what a cartridge of similar caliber but at the next level will do. Make an '06 be a 300 mag, an 9.3x62 be a 338 WM or a 375, a 6.5x55 be a 270, and so on and so on when actually what they do "normally" is quite good.

Gdv

I actually like to run my 9.3x62 at about 95%, 55gr of RL15 behind a 286gr JSP for 2250fps gives me plenty of power and a decent trajectory given that all my shots are under 100 yards here in Northwest Oregon, down in Southwest Oregon, however, I might load up those Accubonds.
Steve-if you reread my post you will note a couple of things.

First off I said the two 338/06's I worked with, I should of added that when both were in the 2600 range at top end and that both were still brass friendly at those speeds.

I am sure not about to try to guess what yours would do.

You will also note how I said that I am now loading them to 2500 (2496 to be exact), and that I get get brass life out of them at this.

I do feel that 2650 with a AI version is totally doable and in some tubes it'll be totally safe and in some it perhaps might just be the north end.

The thing about 338/06's vs the 338 is one topic that generally gets the good on discussions a running.

Lastly I like to use a LRF, I also like to have my scopes with either dots and or the Burris b Plex. I've a BP on my OKH and with this set up it is very ezy to set it to run to 500 yds at 2496 fps.

I no longer feel the need for top end brass burning primer pocket popping speed.

Dober

(BY the way gang, if my OKH posts here seem terse to Steve that was not my intent at all)
Posted By: 340boy Re: The Cult of the 9.3x62 - 08/16/07
I have a CZ 550 American in 9.3X62.
I really like it-I am shooting the 286 gr partition with RL15.
2300fps and very good accuracy make it seem that much nicer.
I have not killed anything with it yet, but I am hoping to change that in a couple of months!
Those accubonds sound good, must try them sometime soon, methinks.
Posted By: kutenay Re: The Cult of the 9.3x62 - 08/16/07
I had two 9.3s in the 62mm case plus a 9.3x74R, sold one and have yet another abuildin'at present on a choice FN sold to me by free_miner. I LIKE this cartridge VERY much and will use mine much of the time for bush work and hunting here in BC.

Free_miner did a lot of work years ago with the .338-06 and finally decided that a .338 WM IS better, has superior ballistics and, as he will verify, my P-64 originals will give a 250 NP an honest 2800 fps-mv with RE-22 AND superb accuracy, even in 80*F temps. So, for BC general purpose hunting, I do like the .338 WM a bit better, but, as MD pointed out here a few months back, the old 9.3 might well be superior in stopping Grizzlies and such situations.

Free_miner and I will be in northern BC soon and I think I will take my Oberndorf Type B in 9.3x62 along in case a Moose is foolish enough to come to our worksite. I LIKE this 70yr. old rifle and it needs to get out.

Overall, this REALLY IS a useful round for BC and easy to shoot.
Kute that Obe sounds like a nice old rig, not many guys that know or appreciate what that is.

As for the stopping griz thing, I feel that there are two trains of thought on this.

One is the power will help and may turn a charge where a less rig may or may not.

The other is placement, I ride in this camp. I feel I give up nothing with my smaller guns (be it a 270 a 06 or my OKH) against say a 9.3 or a 338 as I am about CNS if the occaision where to ever come again to break down a bruin coming to kick my butt.

This is just my way and I am not about to try to convince others over to my way. I had a bruin (blackie) come hard and fast @ 9', I broke his neck with a shot from a 25/06 just under the chin. A chest shot might of turned him (with any round from big to small) but if it didn't I would of had paw prints on me.

If a bruin after comes again, I will choose my shot with care and I will do it to break bone, be it neck, spine, brain, or shoulders.

So for me, the old bigger is better just doesn't fit for me.

Last thing here is while I am not a spray and pray kind of fella I have done enough speed tests with my OKH and 270 vs my 338's, 3340 and 375 to know that I can reaquire the target a fair bit quicker if need be with the smaller rounds.

Just my way.

Dober
Posted By: SU35 Re: The Cult of the 9.3x62 - 08/16/07
This is a cult I've always wanted to belong to.

wannbe here....
You could always retube one of those 6.5's.......grins

Dober
Posted By: SU35 Re: The Cult of the 9.3x62 - 08/16/07
Now that's an idea!

Amazing to see that "Poor Old Mama" gaining popularity in NA.

A french study (from the french "Association Nationale des Chasseurs de Grand Gibier", ANCGG or, in english: National Big Game Hunting Association) has identified the 9,3X62 as the very best of the calibers used in France on Big games.

Concerning both driven and individual hunts, it proved an average 84 % success rate on deer (cervus elaphus), wild boar and roe deer, considering animals falling stone dead or within ten meters after the shot.

http://www.capserveur.com/ancgg/chasse-armes.asp

Very good caliber.

Thanks for that link! Fascinating stuff.
Posted By: ruraldoc Re: The Cult of the 9.3x62 - 08/16/07
Grand V,

I first heard of the 9.3x62 about 15 years ago when a friend brought one home from Europe and reported that it instantly killed every deer and hog he shot, all dead right there.

Another friend and I looked into the catridge but at that time bullets were rare and expensive in the U.S. We decided to go with 35 Whelen and 350 Rem mag to approximate the performance of the 9.3x62.

A German hunter that I have guided told me of studies like the one you posted that show similar results. I have found pretty much the same thing with the Whelen and 350, awesome stoping effect on deer and hogs.

Now that rifles,brass and bullets are readily available in the U.S., I'm sorely tempted to join the 9.3 cult myself.

Does anybody have any field results with the new accubond on deer or deer sized game?

Britt
Posted By: FOsteology Re: The Cult of the 9.3x62 - 08/16/07
Love the 9,3x62mm! Currently have a CZ 550 FS that was dropped into an AHR McMillan. Shoots both 286gr. NP and 250gr. TSX very well.

Took a 200+ lb Axis buck a couple weeks ago with the 250gr. TSX at approx. 140 yards. Dropped right in his tracks.
Britt,

I shot several deer-sized animals in Africa in May with the 250 AB loaded to 2650 fps, out to 300 yards. All dropped right there, but in general I was shooting for shoulders, and that is about what you would expect. It does open up real nice on any game, better than any other 250 I have used, and except for pretty much lengthwise shots on larger game all exited.

JB
I have a custom 9.3 scout made up on a P17. 23" barrel, scout scope setup and carbelite stock. Its a really nice practicle rifle for big game hunting. Shot a moose at 280 yards with it two years ago. 286gr partition @ 2400fps.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: brenneke Re: The Cult of the 9.3x62 - 08/23/07
I got the 9.3x62 in a Custom rifle with 20" barrel and i love it.Being a 9,3mm fan,i had to get the 62 to keep my 9.3x64 company.Love it for shots up to 300 yds with those Accubonds and use 286gr SP-Alaska-Norma for Bush hunting.
Like your rig,Sorenson.
Posted By: POP Re: The Cult of the 9.3x62 - 08/23/07
My best buddy had one. in CZ flavor.

All I can say is it shot one ragged hole with BT's. Man what an elk rig!
Posted By: 378Canuck Re: The Cult of the 9.3x62 - 08/23/07
Hey Pop should have a new accumark coming in 3 weeks in 338/378. Have you any knowledge to share on this round?
Posted By: Savuti Re: The Cult of the 9.3x62 - 08/23/07
Rather than add a new bullet diameter to my already mind-boggling inventory, I opted to build a 9.5x62 (375 Scovill).
Does what the 9.3 does, only better bullet selection.

SOS
Posted By: CouchTater Re: The Cult of the 9.3x62 - 09/03/07
What barrel length do you cultists think is best for the 9.3? Given its big bullet & mild velocity nature, I'm thinking 22" or even less. A stainless/plastic boltgun with a short barrel would seem like a natural for brown bear, moose, etc. But how much velocity would it really lose with modern powders?
Posted By: Mauser98 Re: The Cult of the 9.3x62 - 10/03/07
I guess I'm also a bit of a cultist.

My 9.3X62 is built on a Brazilian 1908 Mauser(Oberndorf). The barrel is 21". The stock is Black walnut that I carved. I also did the rust bluing. It has a Dayton-Traister trigger and a 2-position M70-style safety. The barrel band is from Talley. It weighs in at 8 1/4 lbs scoped and empty.

It is capable of consistent sub-moa groups with Nosler Partition, Hornady and Speer bullets at 100 meters. Velocities with the 286 NP's and 59 gr of RL run arround 2350 fps.

I recently had the barrel pruned back from 24.75" to 21" and only lost 15-20 fps per inch.

Here it is with it's first elk shot at 20 yds on Sept 17/07

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: The Cult of the 9.3x62 - 10/03/07

Nice Bull
Posted By: Huntr Re: The Cult of the 9.3x62 - 10/03/07
Mauser 98,
Beautiful rifle and great bull!!!
Posted By: 340boy Re: The Cult of the 9.3x62 - 10/03/07
Very nice bull and rifle, Mauser.
That rifle sounds sweet!
cool
Posted By: GSSP Re: The Cult of the 9.3x62 - 03/16/08
With my upcoming Brown Bear hunt this fall in Alaska I would appreciate the Cult members opinions on appropriate bullets. I like the idea of having 400 yd capability. Would 400 yds be too far for a large Brownie? I'm not worried about my abilities, but is the cartridge w/ the right bullet, up to it? Or is 300 yds a better limit?

Would a 250 A-frame/AB/XXX be too light? Should I stick to 286 XXX or 300 A-frame?
Posted By: zxc Re: The Cult of the 9.3x62 - 03/16/08
20 yrs ago it was the 35whelen, don't figure anyone wood notice the differance in the field but new ideas are fun
Posted By: FOsteology Re: The Cult of the 9.3x62 - 03/16/08
I was under the impression that the Alaskan Guide would make it a priority to get you within 100 yards (typically less) to take your shot. Why would anyone want to take a 400 yd shot on a brownie?

If it were me, I'd go with either the 250gr. TSX or 286gr. Nosler Partition.
GSSP-there is a lot of things in life one could do, taking a 400 yd shot at a brownie isn't one I'd advise. The only way I'd shoot at a brownie at 400 is if the pooch had already been screwed and there was already lead in him.

Then and only then would I light one up at 400 yds.\

But, that is just me.

Dober
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: The Cult of the 9.3x62 - 03/16/08

The only bad thing about the 9.3x62.. (not really)

is it's not available (state side) in a Sako or Winchester action.

BUT given a CZ is very very accurate it's hard not to get one.

Spot
Fosteology and Mark,

Distance point well taken. Long distance for screwed pooch shots.
Posted By: kevinh1157 Re: The Cult of the 9.3x62 - 03/16/08
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
The only bad thing about the 9.3x62.. (not really)

is it's not available (state side) in a Sako or Winchester action.

BUT given a CZ is very very accurate it's hard not to get one.

Spot
Doesn't Tikka import the 9.3x62? If not, I love my CZ anyway.
I took a peek at Tikka's web site the other day and did not see any of their rifles chambered in the 9.3x62.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: The Cult of the 9.3x62 - 03/16/08

Tikka has them but not in the USA

Same with Sako

Spot
Posted By: panhandle Re: The Cult of the 9.3x62 - 03/16/08
I am right in middle of getting my 9.3x62 finished. Stock is finished and glass bedded and will be sent off to get the checkering done. Stock is a AA black walnut Classic from Richards Micro-Fit. Action is a LH Charles Daley Mauser and has a Shilen #4 22" barrel. Barrel action is now at the smiths getting the open sights and barrel sling swival installed. Will be finished in satin blue. Using Luepold QRW rings & mounts with a Bushnell 3200 2x7 Firefly scope. Just bought a digital camera, will post pictures when I learn how to do it.
Exact. 9,3X62 is usually offered by Sako (and Tikka) on european market.

This is the european Sako catalog. Most of the 85 rifles are offered in 9,3X62 and 7X64 ("M"edium sized actions).

http://www.sako.fi/sako85_hunter_calibers.php?m=1
Posted By: utah708 Re: The Cult of the 9.3x62 - 03/16/08
So I will be in Denmark for two months this spring. Any idea as to how hard it would be to bring a lefty 9.3x62 Tikka back with me?
Posted By: Tony Re: The Cult of the 9.3x62 - 03/16/08
I have been shooting the 9.3 for about 10 years. My original rifle is an FN 30-06 rebore that Cliff Labounty did. I used it in Africa in 2002 on plains game driving the 250 gr X at 2650 fps. It worked beautifully on little stuff to eland at ranges from 30 to 250 yards. I have since picked up an unfired (at least it was) Husky built on the FN action in the ugly beech wood stock. Both rifles are very accurate with the X, the only rifles I own that shoot it well. A grand caliber for sure. Amazing how long it took to catch on here in the States.
Posted By: Mauser12 Re: The Cult of the 9.3x62 - 03/17/08
Yep, great round. It absolutely pounds the pee-wadden out of elk. I have never had one take a second step. I use 250 gr. Noslers in front of a handfull of powder and I can vouch for the 2600+ fps--chronographed. There are lots of good elk rounds and this is one of them.
Posted By: jstevens Re: The Cult of the 9.3x62 - 03/17/08
What powders are you using to get 2650 fps with 250's? I haven't had any luck getting them to that kind of speed with RL15 or Big game.
No idea. Since we have a new gun control law in Belgium, you can't virtually expect a delivery in less than a year. Our importator does not stock weapons anymore (the same with ruger rifles).

I guess it's quite easier in Scandinavia, you should write the question to the danish distributor:

NORMARK DENMARK A/S
ENDELAVEVEJ 1, 8900 RANDERS, DENMARK
Tel: 45-87 11 41 70
Fax: 45-86 44 71 83
Email: [email protected]
Posted By: utah708 Re: The Cult of the 9.3x62 - 03/17/08
Thanks much for the information. There are advantanges to living here, no doubt. I saw a gun I wanted in the pawn shop today, and 15 minutes later was out with it.
Fortunately, it is not so terrible if you've got your hunting license, but i would prefer more freedom, for sure ...
frown

But i have a doubt ... are our gun control laws really made to control gun owning, or are they "husband control laws" made to ensure our wives that we, the men, won't spend family money buying new guns every time we see a nice one ? grin

Posted By: corjack Re: The Cult of the 9.3x62 - 03/18/08
Everyone that shoots my 9.3x62 even the skeptics pretty much decide on the spot that they would like to have one.
© 24hourcampfire