Home
Posted By: deadkenny The Cult of the .250 Savage - 08/24/07
I've noted the 'cult' threads for the .270 Win and .30-06 Spr. But those cartridges are mainstream, among the most popular / common cartridges year after year. They don't need 'cults'. However, the poor old perennially under-appreciated, increasingly obscure .250 Savage 'needs' a cult following, to ensure it's continued survival.

So, now recruiting for the .250 Savage cult. Who's with me? wink
When I find a tang safety Ruger in that caliber, I'll have drank the Kool- Aid
Do Ackley versions count?
Originally Posted by Oregon45

Mine of the RSI varietal ought to be here in a couple of days ...

HEY KOOL AID!
To me, the 250 Savage is a cartridge in need of a very unique gun. A gun smaller than that usually made into a 257 Roberts, perhaps a small ring Mauser. I want one in a tang- safety Ruger mainly because it would provide a nice contrast to my other tang gun, a 458 Win.
Agreed! Short action tang 77 with a 18.5" barrel and mannlicher stock fits the bill for me ...

Ought to weigh 7 1/2 on the nose with a 4x Leupy ...
Posted By: olblue Re: The Cult of the .250 Savage - 08/24/07
Count me in! Mine is a Rem. 700 Classic. A little too big for the .250 IMO. I like the idea of the MexicaN MAUSER. --- Mel
Originally Posted by Steelhead

I think the Ackley version cult is more popular than the parent round . . .
Originally Posted by olblue
Count me in! Mine is a Rem. 700 Classic. A little too big for the .250 IMO. I like the idea of the MexicaN MAUSER. --- Mel

The Mexi Mauser is a sweet little action. Tho the magazine length seems to beg for a Bob ... but that is just me. No flies, fleas, or flaws with a 250 built on that platform.
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Sure, why not? If this 'cult' gets off the ground perhaps the AI's can have their own 'sect'. In any case, the .250 AI is supposed to be one of the 'best' in terms of velocity gain, behind only the 30-40 Krag and 25-35 AI's IIRC (not exactly the most common AI's themselves).
Originally Posted by Oregon45

Can I point out that you might rebarrel a .22-250? Or would that constitute 'blasphemy'?
Don't own one, but have long thought a .250 Sav bolt gun would be the beans. Though I'd prefer one in SS, I could probably love equally well a Ruger M77 UL w/ 20 or 22" barrel or a Rem M7 CDL with same tube length.
Damn....I thought the .250-3000 (that IS the correct name by the way) was not really legitimate unless chambered in a Savage 99. mine is a 1938 model and is one of my favorites. Bolt gunners beware.....the .250 is adictive, but once you handle one in the gun it was intended for (Savage 99) it's just a fad. The savage;'s will be a lifetime adiction.
I have a classic in a custom shot.. hunted it all 1 year but it just sits around in the gun room now, I'm more in love with the 257
The 250 in a 99 savage your not going to get better.IMHO. Now i have thought about takeing a 600 rem in a youth stock converting to a 250 for backpacking in the high country.Wish i could find a model 20 in 250. but count me in as well grin
The .250 AI is a hell of a good cartridge, mostly because it almost exactly matches the case capacity (and handloaded ballistics) of the .257 Roberts.

I have owned about a dozen .250's, about half 99's. While a 99 in .250 is certainly commendable, the Model 20 Savage might be the all-time winner for a neat .250.

JB
Posted By: DMB Re: The Cult of the .250 Savage - 08/24/07
Count me in the 250 Savage fraternity.
I have a custom 250 with a good barrel, and good wood.
I LOVE it!!! grin
Shoot's straight, feels good.. grin

Don
I have a 250 Savage NULA, and it and the cartridge are real sweeties. Very accurate, very easy to shoot, and very, very effective on deer with just about any bullet.

Steve
Originally Posted by gahuntertom
I have a classic in a custom shot.. hunted it all 1 year but it just sits around in the gun room now, I'm more in love with the 257

Well if that's your attitude you can leave this thread and not come back! :P
Well, got the M99 in the R version and the tang safety Ruger as well. While the old(1953) Savage is great for nostalgia, the Ruger gets way more trigger time.
I like the Savage 1920s, but the neatest 250-3000 that I've ever owned is a Winchester/USRA 70 Lightweight Carbine that I installed in a Featherweight stock. It has all of the good features of the Savage 1920, plus a good trigger and it doesn't need to be modified to handle a scope. A close 2nd on the neat factor is the Ruger 77 RSI, but I like mannlicher style stocked rifles and many folks don't.

Jeff
A 1919 vintage 99 (my grandfather's), a 700 Classic, and a Dakota 76 Alpine should qualify me for membership. The Dakota carries so easy, and shoots so well. Now, I just need one o' them there Mexican Mausers.
Posted By: Chrome Re: The Cult of the .250 Savage - 08/26/07
I have owned a new in the box Savage 99A in 250-3000.
A new Remington 700 Classic and a new Ruger Ultra Light all in my favorite .250-3000 !

I now have none of them. I'm very sad...

If your sad that I'm sad please PM me so I can tell you how to send funds so that I may buy me a new .250 Savage.
Count me in. My '84 vintage Ruger 77 UL with a tang safety and 20" bbl is the katzazz!
Count me in also! 3 99s in 250 and my newest and most accurate acquisition, a classic 700 in 250.
[Linked Image]
DK,

Please include me as a memeber of this fan club! Also, please note my response to you regarding this cartridge in "Which Choice for Deer" on the "HUNTING RIFLES" forum. In my opinion, "The Cult of the.250 Savage" is an EXCELLENT thread!

Thanks,

M. Bell
Loaded up another 200 rounds of 250 Savage ammo today. Of course after firing it will be 250AI brass, but that don't matter much.
Steelhead,

What are you filling them with before they're AI'd? I'd like to compare to my standard 250 load.

mathman
Loaded 90gr Sierra HP behind 35gr of Varget and 110gr Accubonds behind 35.5gr of H4350.
Steelhead,

Would you please explain to this "dummy" how you go about loading the bullet BEHIND the powder! Thank you. grin

Thanks again,

M. Bell
Thanks. The 90 gr. Sierra really works for me with 36 gr. of H4895. With thrown charges and virgin brass that combo averaged 3045 fps and kept printing 1/2" to 5/8" three shot clusters at 100 yards. Gotta love the 250.
The powder is behind the bullet. Are you from Wyoming?
Sign me up. Three rifles in 250-3000, 1899 model 250-3000, Model 20, and a 1899 E.
Steelhead,

I am from Wyoming, and I'm sorry for being a smart aleck. My excuse is that I was an English teacher for more than 30 years and, therefore, syntax such as yours is just hard not to correct. I will try to be in better control of myself in the future. grin

I really do admire your choice of cartridge and your sensible loads!

M. Bell
I don't mind, mine was also an ass smart comment. Tend I to word mix, but the difference do I know......

Posted By: DMB Re: The Cult of the .250 Savage - 08/27/07
The 90 grain Sierra HPBT is THE bullet in my 250, with 760 powder.

Don
Yup, its a great bullet for the 250-3000, until it comes apart on impact. It was my "go to" 250-3000 and 257 bullet for about 25 years and got a lot of work in my Savage 1920 "walking around" rifle.

Jeff
I'm in. I just bought a pac-nor pre-fit barrel for a savage rifle. 3 groove 1-10 SS. I also have a couple of 99s and an encore barrel in 250.
Now THIS is a 250-3000. I bought it new in the early 70's and its been a great deer rifle using 100 gr. Hornaday spire points.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 340boy Re: The Cult of the .250 Savage - 08/27/07
Never have owned a 250 savage, however, the first centerfire I ever shot(my dad's model 99) gave me the old 'magnum eyebrow', I think I was around 7 yrs old.
Does that make me a member of the 250Sav cult??
Posted By: 7 STW Re: The Cult of the .250 Savage - 08/27/07
Originally Posted by 340boy
Never have owned a 250 savage, however, the first centerfire I ever shot(my dad's model 99) gave me the old 'magnum eyebrow', I think I was around 7 yrs old.
Does that make me a member of the 250Sav cult??

wussy
Posted By: 340boy Re: The Cult of the .250 Savage - 08/27/07
Haha!
What can I say?
I got started on the "wrong foot" and it has been downhill ever since....
grins
Posted By: 7 STW Re: The Cult of the .250 Savage - 08/27/07
Never got a eye cracking........yet..But had most everything else.
Sign me up!

My one and only is a 1917 1899 250-3000 take down, rear flip-up tang sight , K-4 Weaver scope.

Shoots 100 grainers, Core-Lokts and Swifts into groups good enough for deer [1.5-2.0" three shot groups]. Sub - inch with 87 grain Speer Hot-Cores for three shot groups. I want to try them on a doe this year.

Patterns 90gr X bullets. Oh well.

Posted By: CGPAUL Re: The Cult of the .250 Savage - 08/28/07
I`m in...have four, two mod. 20`s and two AI`s. Love them all!
Posted By: NW AK Re: The Cult of the .250 Savage - 08/28/07
I shot my first caribou with the 250-3000 and iron sights. Great cartridge for doing that, but I was young and dumb, traded the gun for the latest greatest whatever it was. Wish I had it back.

PLUS ONE!

PLUS ONE!
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The .250 AI is a hell of a good cartridge, mostly because it almost exactly matches the case capacity (and handloaded ballistics) of the .257 Roberts.

I have owned about a dozen .250's, about half 99's. While a 99 in .250 is certainly commendable, the Model 20 Savage might be the all-time winner for a neat .250.

JB

Yep, they're neat.

I personally would want one re-stocked with a straighter stock.

Bob
Posted By: JDK Re: The Cult of the .250 Savage - 08/30/07
I guess I drank the Kool Aid as I have 3 tang safety Rugers in 250-3000, an RSI, a Liberty model, and a regular M77. Killed a pile of deer and bear here in Maine with them.
I've got a question for you 250 experts.....

I've got an 1899 TD,made in 1920,so it obviously has the 1-14 twist.Is it possible to get any sort of good accuracy out of this with 117 grain round noses?

I think it'd make a great deer load-I know that bullet is a little bomb in the 257 Bob.

WB.
Probably not. The 87 grain Speer HotCore is a pretty good choice for deer in a 1 in 14" twist barrel.

Jeff
+1 on that. 37gr of 4320 or RL15 scoots 'em out of mine at about 3070fps with good accuracy and devastating results.
Posted By: Chrome Re: The Cult of the .250 Savage - 09/01/07
I killed a couple of deer with the Hornady 117 gr. round nose out of a .250 20" barrel ultra light. I was only getting around 2,600 fps.

The deer would make a mad death sprint for about 50-60 yards and then crash. Little internal damage.

Never could figure out the little round nose...

Weatherby loads it in there .257 Mag factory load. It is also recommended for the 25-35 Win. Quite a velocity window ?
Bandit,my 99R 250 ,1in14 twist will shoot that RN 117 well.A 117 spitzer?,forget it! Hits the target sideways!Scott
I thought a NULA Model 20 so chambered would be a peach of a rifle to carry and to shoot. Sort of a modern version of a Savage Model 20.
A friend of mine in Pittsburg called me a couple of days
ago and is going to look at a Winchester Model 54 in 250-3000
this weekend. If he buys it he's going to email me some
photos.
Count me in....no matter how many guns/cartridges I end up thinking are going to be the "perfect" round for whitetails and bear in PA I always go back to the little 250. I have two 99's, a Ruger RSI, and a custom model 700 with a nice piece of walnut - all shoot great and I have never had to track an animal very far after being hit with one grin What more could you ask for.....I could have saved a bunch of money over (and then went on a bunch of hunting trips) the last 25+ years trying to find a "better" round.

PennDog and others ...

What loads have shot best for you out of the RSI 250 Savage? I picked the one off the classifieds here last month and it arrived yesterday. Siblings and I have decided to present it to Dad as combined XMas/Bday gift on deer opener this year. I figure to work up a load and "test" the package during Minnesota Early Doe season.

Suggestions?

GE
GE:
My standard load (for 1:10 twist barrels) are 100g nosler ballistic tips and 38.7 of WW760. I get about 2850 fps out of my Rem. 700 and rougly 100 fps less out of the RSI. The RSI shoots these into 1.25-1.5" and the Remington around 3/4" (three shots at 100 yds). I have not had the time to work up a better load for the RSI, but it has worked well for me in PA (most of my shots are less than 150 yds). I did try some 117 grain sierra bullets that I had in the RSI and it was extremely finicky with them....I'm guessing that my velocity was not enough to stabilize properly although I did get one load that was decent (although I can't remember off-hand the specifics of that load). You will love the RSI in this caliber, IMO it handles like no other grin

PennDog
H4895 is really good in my 700 Classic, and I can't think of why it wouldn't work in your RSI.
All,
I have a 250 Savage Rem classic that I bought new . It has never been fired, but I do not have the orignal box. If anyone is interested, they can write me at finetime 25 at hotmail com.
love the forums, thanks to you all for comments !
Here's mine, do I qualify?

[Linked Image]

Although I have to say my Dad is a 250 Fanatic, 1 Tang Saftey M77, a Savage 110, Rem Classic, 99 G, and he is looking for a few more. I'd say he qualifies, he goes my Greenhornet47 here. Les
A nice 99R or Ruger UL would be nice!
And I only have one:(
At least it's a 99:) Needs a few extra holes filled, but nothing through the script. also has a long barrel where I'd like a short one, but finding another barrel and having the long one put aside to be able to return it to original is a possibility. I want to hunt the thick stuff with it.
Count me in too. I almost built a small ring Mauser in 250-3000 but decided I'd just rather do it right and buy a 99. It just got here last week and I have not even fired it. The Remington Custom Shop will build a Model 7 in 250-3000 for a couple of thousand bucks - if I remember correctly.
Congrats on the 99, 300Takedown! You're going to love that 99.. 250's are a great caliber. I got misc. rats in 250..

(PS: The 99T has a Leupold now)

[Linked Image]
I REALLY need a .250 99 to go with my 1950 99 EG in .300 Savage.

Expat
Count me in. I've had a Savage 99 take down for years and my life became complete 3 months ago when I acquired the Ruger Mod 77 tang safety in 98% condition. Walked into my local gun shop, and there it was. I did not have to thank once, let alone twice.
Do we get window breakers with a logo on it or something?
Lol. Sure, just send your 'donation' of $250.99 (plus shipping and handling wink ) and it will be on it's way. wink
$299.99 if you want it overnight? smile
Update on the Winchester Model 54 250-3000, he passed it up
because of extra holes in the reciever and the bolt handle
had been welded, price was 850.
Posted By: BRoper Re: The Cult of the .250 Savage - 09/15/07
I've had a 99 in .250 since 1968 and a 700 Rem. rebarreled to .250 since 1983. The 700 is super accurate. I wouldn't part with either one of them, one of my favorite cartidges.

"Although I have to say my Dad is a 250 Fanatic, 1 Tang Saftey M77, a Savage 110, Rem Classic, 99 G, and he is looking for a few more. I'd say he qualifies, he goes my Greenhornet47 here."

I also "had" a 250 savage. I bought it when I was younger and dumber. Mine was a classic mis-use of an action/cartrige combination. It was a Savage M111 with a synthetic stock and open sights. Built on the long action, it looked like schitt, fed like schitt, shot like schiit, and I got rid of it. At least I got the money I'd paid for it back. If I ever buy another, it will not be in that combination.

Kaiser Norton

Find a short action Savage 11 or 16 in the .308 family, or even .22-250 and screw on a Shilen, Pac-nor, or even a Shaw pre-fit barrel in .250. Or rebarrel a short 700 or Ruger 77. Loads of possibilities for this little sweetheart.
Go with a newer Savage action with the new-style center feed magazines if you want to go the AI route. The old staggered feed mags get a little finicky when it comes to feeding AI cartridges, but the new center feed mag's are dead nuts reliable with them. All that's left to decide is whether you want a blind mag, detachable mag, or hinged floorplate.

Posted By: 257Bob Re: The Cult of the .250 Savage - 12/10/07
Well, I would not call it a cult following but I have a pretty little 250 built on a win 70 classic compact with a blue barrel by douglas and a leupy 2.5x8 in talleys. I built it up for my kids as I liked the fact that it kills deer well and does not kick much. it has been a huge success with us. all three of my sons have killed deer with it and now my nine year old uses it all of the time. his older brothers have graduated to the 257 roberts.

I built up three roberts, one for each of them. don't know what I will do with the 250 when they outgrow the 12.5" stock. I may just restock it for myself since it is now a family heriloom. I could not sell it after all of the experiences we have had with it.
i have the savage 99 in 250-3000 and have no complaints even take it coyote hunting
© 24hourcampfire