Home
One shot, about 99 yds (the upper limit for me with those express sights) across a canyon.

She was in about the best spot a moose could possibly be -- 150 yds up a steep hill from a 2-track whistle

Post gutting 3 good shoves landed her right next to the road.

....and that about wraps up the early seasons for me, 4 antelope and a moose in the freezer. smile

sorry, no pics - maybe I'll snag one of the gun & hide here in a few.
Did that prove to be "enough gun"? grin

Sounds like a cool way to go after a moose to me! Congrats.
When's dinner? <grin>

Congrats!
No pics from the master photographer? Come on Lefty!!
I'm workin' on it ! (I got a bunch from Deseret, Wyoming, and the UT mtns color). those will take a few weeks as I still have turkey tags to go.

I do have a few of the hide/gun I'll try to get up tonight. smile
grin grinYer a bum ya know that dontcha Lefty grinI know perfeckly well what a large charge it is to nail down a moose with a very outta the ordinary ordnance grin Hope ya had a first class riot grin
Another Robert Ruark fan. grin
here's a few I snapped today. Hafta hold you over 'til I get the scenery ones processed....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

and then there's the dog frantically trying to keep the yellowjackets off his prize(s) --note the eyes starting to swell.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

then just for good measure here's my dad's antelope from a few weeks ago:

[Linked Image]

and mine (been after this guy for a few years

[img]http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x134/utahlefty/Hunting/DSC01821.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x134/utahlefty/Hunting/DSC01824.jpg[/img]
That beast looks like a 12ga!! and not much for a recoil pad.. You da man...
Well done Lefty! Well done!
great looking dog! really like his expression.
Nice! grin
I would think one barrel all that was necessary. I got one a number of years ago with a 45/70 BP 500 gr lead slug. Never recovered the slug. Congrats. Nice rifle. How big was the cow?

Randy
Nice critters and the rifle ain't bad either cool
Very nice all around....
Sweet, not a combo you see a lot, a double gun with a packpack.
Damn Lefty, need scenery pics.

The bear in the top photo looks a little rubbed..........grin
Mr. UtahLefty;
Thanks for sharing the photos and congratulations on taking the moose, particularly with a rifle/cartridge combination that has such character or maybe panache is a better term.

As an aside, here in BC it is a given that any moose that dies on dry ground and particularly uphill from the road is a �great� moose!

Thanks again for the photos, especially the ones with the dog and the hoof, as it brought back some good memories for me.

Regards,
Dwayne
I think I have finally found the definition of BLESSED with the location of that moose.
Did you get the antelope with the .470NE as well?
Originally Posted by kevinh1157
Did you get the antelope with the .470NE as well?

no. I shot three antelope with a 270 and one with a 338 this year. smile

Originally Posted by Steelhead
Damn Lefty, need scenery pics.

The bear in the top photo looks a little rubbed..........grin

but look how symmetrical it is! (grin)

I got the pics, it'll take a bit to get them processed. I've been out of doors about 4 days out of 7 the last month and have a little bit yet to go.
I'm starting the butchering job right now. We cooked up a "test" steak prior --- we are in fat-city! grin
Well, it's done. The rubber neckers have long since gone and plans have been finalized for a major feed tomorrow night.

Between the antelopes and the moose, we've got a good 500+ pounds laid in for the coming year... smile
Very cool...

I like moose meat and antelope meat!
Nothing says loving like some moose in the oven....

Only meat of any kind I've ever had that's better is Dall Sheep... but they don't exactly grow those down here (grin)...
Thats a fantastic story UtahLefty. When the rifle used is special it makes the entire story so much better. You have created great memories.

Your rifle is magnificent and I envy you for owning it.

Congratulations.
What make is the rifle utah?
it's a Heym 88B (the PH model)
Congrats!!! Which is bigger the moose or the dog? wink

Now if I could just figure out how to grab one of those cow moose tags...
now that they have bonus points for them, cows are taking about 3 years to draw. wink

I've managed to get 3 moose in 5 years. I'm almost through my ineligible period in WY but am just starting it in UT.

Even without drawing, landowner (CWMU) tags can be bought for fairly reasonable rates.
Congrats man.
Thanks for sharing the photos and story smile
Any moose left?
I just had my LAST moose steak ....
An '06 with 180 gr. would have worked.... smile
Originally Posted by las
An '06 with 180 gr. would have worked.... smile

yah, but who's gonna look at pictures of that? laugh

Utah, very nice. Hope to meet a moose in Wyo in a year or two; don't think I can duplicate the Heym armament but am considering a FA 454 Casull, a Marlin GG with handloads, or my Fedora recurve. We'll see.

That is very cool Lefty! Most impressed. Oh, and I am free for dinner anytime!...... grin
I just mailed off my app for 2009 Idaho moose smile
(I'm on waiting period for UT & WY now).
© 24hourcampfire