Home
Posted By: Boise Drew California Bighorn Tag - 05/22/09
The Idaho draw results are published and I drew one of the very few California Bighorn tags in the SW corner of our magnificent state. I saw 6 rams last years and a real beaut the year before. To say I'm excited would grossly understate my frame of mind. It's the early season tag so its going to be awfully hot but I'll get use to it. I'll spend weeks in the field prior to the seaosn locating exactly which one I hope to bring home. Good luck to all you other applicants.
Great news, good for you!

Now, what gun (assumption) are you using? When does the season open? Do you have a good camera? <grin>
Good Luck, sounds like fun.
Posted By: Huntr Re: Drew California Bighorn Tag - 05/22/09
Wow, what a dream! Congrat's....
In the Owyhees? That's awesome!

For those that may be wondering, this is not a sheep tag for California. The California Bighorn is a desert dwelling variety of the Rocky Mountain Bighorn, and his hunt is in SW Idaho.

I want to see some pictures!
Posted By: Boise Re: Drew California Bighorn Tag - 05/22/09
Been busy writing and calling friends. Already have two volunteers to help scout and of course they want to join the Aug. 30 - Sept. 14 hunt. Am working to gain the name of the biologist with the responsibility for the herd. Then I'll be booking some air time to gain an intimate understanding of the terrain. I've spent a lot of time in the unit but was always on the ground so I have a patch work understanding of the unit. Plus I need to check out the S. Fork Owyhee since I've never been there. We boated the E. Fork last year at this time and I spotted 6 rams, two were definite shooters and two more were legal.

Since it was asked, I'll most likely use my 700 Ti in 25 WSM. Also, if all goes well I hope to have a video of the hunt.
Congrats, please keep us informed as the hunt gets going, post lots of pics!
Congrats and good luck!

You should probably look into buying a lottery ticket too!
grin
Sehr gut!!!
Congratulations, it sounds like the hunt of a lifetime.

Good deal...
Posted By: rufous Re: Drew California Bighorn Tag - 05/23/09
Too cool. I am excited for you. Hope you bust a big one. Brian.
Congratulations, Boise! That's a difficult tag to pull... and the hunting down there in the Owyhees ain't too easy, either!

I saw a nice Calif. Bighorn down there last October, but didn't have a tag. We were two-point deer hunting, as we had not been drawn for the Owyhee trophy mule deer.

We're in for elk, deer, and antelope, this year.

Best of luck to you. Hope you score a brute!

L.W.
While deer hunting just south of where you will be hunting (on the Nevada side) we ran into quite a few California's. What magnificent animals. I'll draw one of these days...
Good for you.

I've had the same result here in CO as I have for the past 15 years, skunked on sheep, goat, and moose!! I will get the antelope, deer, and elk tags.
Look forward to the video. Good luck.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Drew California Bighorn Tag - 05/23/09
Best of luck. Saw a 180 class Rocky yesterday and my sheep hunting blood got pumping again. Hope you have a great hunt.
Boise,

Congratulations!

With that luck running you should buy a lottery ticket to pay for your hunt. wink

jim
Congratulations ! I've been trying to get one in Nevada for quite a few years.
I put in for California's Desert Sheep as we don't have any hunts for what few California Bighorn we have.
You might check out MyTopo.com's products. They can make you maps. They are made from the latest aerial photos of your hunting zones. I've had them make some for my Montana elk hunting. Worth their weight in gold. E
Posted By: Bater Re: Drew California Bighorn Tag - 05/24/09
Boise-

This is one of the first years I haven't put in for one of the trophy species hunts and I'm kinda wishin I had. Give Google Earth a try as it's about as good as the view from a plane and it's free.

Good luck,

Brett
Congrats and good luck! If'n I had that tag, one of the first calls I would be making would be to the BLM and see if/when any of the routes will be closed by the new wilderness designation. Then ask for the contact info of any of the range riders out that way!
Posted By: JoshK Re: Drew California Bighorn Tag - 05/27/09
Congrats for sure! That is awesome. That is my dream...a nice Bighorn. Good luck to you!
© 24hourcampfire