Home
Posted By: CumminsHunter Best store bought round? - 01/17/10
For those of us not reloading, what's the best round for deer/elk for a .300?

Thanks
Posted By: davidlea Re: Best store bought round? - 01/17/10
Hard to beat Federal Premiums with either Nosler Partitions or Barnes TSX's.
Federal Premium ammo is probably the gold standard of factory ammo. Some other stuff is probably as good but it pretty much established the market.

For less expensive factory ammo I've had the Speer Fusion ammo shoot really well..............................DJ
Posted By: 7 STW Re: Best store bought round? - 01/17/10
Winchester Supreme ammo is my favorite when not reloading.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Best store bought round? - 01/17/10
Another vote for Federal Premium.....though there are lots of good ones nowadays...

Ingwe
Originally Posted by ingwe
Another vote for Federal Premium.....though there are lots of good ones nowadays...

Ingwe

Doesn't it just piss you off when your reloads don't shoot any better than store bought stuff?

My 7-08 shoots as good with 140gr Fusions as anything I've ever loaded. My Kimber 7 WSM shot 160gr Accubond Federal Premium as well as any handload and 280 Berreta Mato like the Winchester Ballistic Silvertip as well as anything I've concocted. They have greatly improved some of the factory stuff....................DJ
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Best store bought round? - 01/18/10
Originally Posted by 7 STW

Good brass to save also!
It doesn't take many .300 Win Mag rounds to make your reloading equipment pay off.
Posted By: NH K9 Re: Best store bought round? - 01/18/10
Originally Posted by davidlea

This. Until I get geared up for my .300wsm, I'm running the FP TSXs. Price is motivating the hell out of me to do it quick.

George
Posted By: 7 STW Re: Best store bought round? - 01/18/10
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by 7 STW

Good brass to save also!

You bet Sam..Same with the Super X line.
Posted By: Odessa Re: Best store bought round? - 01/18/10
I've had good luck with the Hornady Custom ammo line when no time to work up a load. Of course it comes with a variety of Hornady bullets; from standard Interlocks (best price) & SST's and on up to Interbonds (highest price). They have a new line (Superperformance) but I haven't seen any to try yet.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Best store bought round? - 01/18/10
You haven't really specified which 300 your using. I assume either a Win or WSM, in which case all of those loads mentioned should be available. If you're using an H&H or Savage or any other less popular 300, your options may be more limited.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Best store bought round? - 01/18/10
Originally Posted by djpaintless

Doesn't it just piss you off when your reloads don't shoot any better than store bought stuff?

Yeah we got a graphic illustration of that when a pard and I were going on a hunting trip...he had a M70 in .300 H&H and some Federal Premium ( 180 gr Noslers) he was gonna burn up and use the brass...the factory stuff shot absolute bugholes...done lookin for a load! grin

Ingwe
Posted By: gunnut308 Re: Best store bought round? - 01/18/10
Fusion ammo has been veddy accurate in .308 win and .300 win. The only 2 I've tried so far.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Best store bought round? - 01/18/10
federal premium works for me.
Posted By: 2Seventy Re: Best store bought round? - 01/18/10
For deer size animals or black bear, Remington Core-locs or Federal blue box. For something bigger, tougher, or meaner Federal Premium ammo with premium bullets such as: Nosler Partitions, Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, Barnes Triple Shock, etc... Whichever will shoot the best in your rifle.

Posted By: Bighorn Re: Best store bought round? - 01/18/10
Federal Premium.
Fed premium.
Posted By: gmsemel Re: Best store bought round? - 01/18/10
Of late or at least the last four seasons, I been shooting Federal fusions out of my 7mm Remington Mag 150 gr bullets out of my R-93 Blaser, its a very good load. Both in accuracy and it performance on the game shot.
Posted By: rl11 Re: Best store bought round? - 01/19/10
The only 'premium' factory round I've ever shot is the Winchester supremes. My rifle absolutely LOVES them. To the point where I've drug my feet for three years on trying to figure out a homegrown load.
Federal Premiun with Trophy Bonded Tip.

Provided they shoot in your gun...
Some of my rifles like Winchester Supreme Accubonds and others like Federal Premium Partitions.

Their owner likes them both.....except for the price tag sticker.
Pick up a few boxes of good ammo like the ones everyone has listed in this run and see what your gun likes best. I have a Tikka in .280 Rem that keep pretty much anything i run through it at about an inch. Feed it 150gr Core-locts and it tightens down to about a 1/2 group. I consider myself lucky, they're affordable, the small groups make me confident with the rifle and the bullets have performed perfectly on deer, antelope, elk and oryx (very tough). Core-locts, Noslers, Barnes seem to please.
Originally Posted by davidlea

+1, w/o a doubt...........the Fed stuff with the TBBC tipped bullet should be good too, but I've only used the old version, with complete satisfaction.

MM
Posted By: KCBighorn Re: Best store bought round? - 02/04/10
Nosler Custom Ammo has been excellent.
Federal Premium is top shelf too.
Posted By: KC Re: Best store bought round? - 02/05/10

Federal Premium ammo has the reputation of being the best off-the-shelf ammo available. The 150 grain Sierra GameKing BTSP will consistently shoot MOA in a couple of my 30-06 rifles.

I still have some Federal Premium High Energy 180 grain Nosler Partitions, which is an excellent elk round. But they are getting hard to find or even order. I wonder if they have stopped making them or just cut back?

So I have bought a box of Hornady Superformance 165 grain SST and a box of Nosler Custom 165 grain Nosler Partitions. We'll see how they work.

KC

Posted By: rifletom Re: Best store bought round? - 02/05/10
7STW: Whats the German fighter in your avatar? You always show some interesting photos. This is from mid Jan. 2010. Thanks. Tom
© 24hourcampfire