Home
Posted By: T_Inman Shiras bulls - 08/01/10
Figured I would join in the "judging" threads. I finally got my tag, but really have no idea on how to field judge them. I have been along when a few were killed, but they were not big bulls. I am putting everything else on hold and will be following the "you can't shoot big if you shoot small first" concept.

What is considered a "good" bull? What do I look for?
Thanks in advance.
Posted By: UtahLefty Re: Shiras bulls - 08/01/10
this guy has a "few" pictures for you to look at: moose

if you can find one over 48", look at it very closely, they are quite a bit smaller than AK-Y moose. Minimums for B&C are almost 100" lower.

you can look up how they're scored, but one with weak brow tines/palms will tend to fair poorly, numbers-wise.

Posted By: Kodiakisland Re: Shiras bulls - 08/01/10
This one green scored 175 1/4 with a 51in width. The way the brow tines split at the end added a lot to the score.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: HuntKY Re: Shiras bulls - 08/01/10
Utah, do you know Bob?

Nice moose Kodiak.
Posted By: UtahLefty Re: Shiras bulls - 08/01/10
I wouldn't say that, exactly.

I've talked to him a few times, and know the area he hunts.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Shiras bulls - 08/01/10
Hey thanks guys. I guess what I am asking is, how will I know when I am looking at a good one? Is there some reference, like using a mule deer's ears as a 24" ruler?
Posted By: HuntKY Re: Shiras bulls - 08/01/10
understand...I think he's a great guy. I worked for him for a while, packed at least one of those moose out. He knows Shiras moose and does a pretty good job of killin' them. It helps he has a good area too. He's killed some dandy goats too.
Posted By: UtahLefty Re: Shiras bulls - 08/02/10
he's figured out a fairly effective way to hunt them - the way he day trips with horses.

he's also one of the few guys who haven't just plain quit guiding for moose (his area has been less affected by wolves than a lot of them have).

I'm just past my 5-yr wait in WY so I'm not as up on what it looks like there now, but I've been putting in on the ID side of that stretch of the border and they're doing well.
Posted By: HuntKY Re: Shiras bulls - 08/02/10
Very correct....and yes, he's indeed been lucky with wolves.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Shiras bulls - 08/02/10
Dog Hunter, you need to get in touch with Greenhorn. He killed a whopper Montana Shira's bull a couple years ago!
Posted By: ingwe Re: Shiras bulls - 08/02/10
This is the biggest Shiras I have ever seen...Im guessing he was bumping on 50" but he wouldnt hold still for me to score him... laugh
[Linked Image]

This is more representative of a basic mature bull...

[Linked Image]

Ingwe
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Shiras bulls - 08/02/10
Here's some for you to look at.

Mine is the 1st one & is a good moose, but not either SCI or B&C book; can't remember if the 2nd pic made SCI or not; all the others are either SCI or B&C book heads. Don't remember/know all the scores...........

These are all WY moose.

Where's your tag for?

MM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o56/baw0000/m3Small.jpg[/img]
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Shiras bulls - 08/02/10
230-20
Posted By: Greenhorn Re: Shiras bulls - 08/02/10
A good one is whatever makes a guy happy. How B&C scores them is a little wierd in my opinion. Here's some nice ones.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f...007%20Shiras%20Moose%20Hunt/IMG_1328.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f389/Rued/HuntingPhotos/OtherHunts/07RichMattBull.jpg[/img]
Great moose Greenhorn.

MM, good pics.....I recognize Cash Taylor under all that Sleeping Indian wear.....He's a pretty good moose killer too.
Yep, so was RT..............

MM
Greenie, That one with you in the orange (& the other pic of the same one) is a fantastic moose.

MM
I talked to one of those Taylors before my moose hunt, 1st one above in the photos. I was told I wouldn't have luck without help. It was an area they had a lot of success in over the years and I'd heard the tactics they used to hunt it. I didn't hire any help, shot a decent bull moose, a 190 mule deer, and a 7ft black bear.. no airplane required.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Shiras bulls - 08/02/10
Love the Moose pics guys. Keep 'em comin'.
Not a particularly hard area to hunt......but then again you always seem to do well. smile

MM
Definitely wouldn't be hard to hunt when you made daily morning flights after the rut, with snow on the ground. Did you pay him to guide you to that bull moose?
Posted By: skudrunner Re: Shiras bulls - 08/02/10
Here's a couple that I saw in Colorado a couple weeks ago while doing some back country fishing.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Wow! That bottom one!! Uffda.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Shiras bulls - 08/02/10
That bottom one indeed!
Posted By: dinkshooter Re: Shiras bulls - 08/02/10
Bout got me on that one, sucker grin

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4273596/1

Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Shiras bulls - 08/02/10
Aren't those last 2 pics the same Alaska-Yukon bull moose you posted pics of in the Alaska section? Seriously doubt there's a Shiras that big in Colorado or anywhere else in the lower 48.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...ok_the_girls_out_and_saw_thi#Post4269092
We are a bunch of freaking detectives, no?
Posted By: skudrunner Re: Shiras bulls - 08/02/10
You are ruining all the fun for me. grin I was wondering how long it would take. The bottom two are indeed the Alaska Yukon variety. The top two are the same shiras moose that I saw in Colorado a few weeks ago. A little bit of a difference.
I remembered seeing those last 2 pics somewhere before and thought it was on another site but happened to look in the Ak section and there it was. I figured he must have forgot to mention that he seen that moose in Alaska when he was talking about the moose in the first few pics. Didn't want anyone to think that a moose that big would grow to that size anywhere else but Alaska or the Yukon/BC. wink
Posted By: Folically_Challenged Re: Shiras bulls - 08/02/10
You guys have got my heart poundin'! I'll be in the East Kutenays for 10 days starting the last week in October, and my Whelen is hoping to have a date with a big bull.

Keep the pics coming!

FC
This one is not a shiras moose, this pic was taken last fall right after the rut ended. Guess he was a bit tired and he figured the hunters and predators would leave him be if he stayed in town. Same bull as the one in my avatar.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ou76 Re: Shiras bulls - 08/02/10
[Linked Image] BC Moose 2007
the fronts are huge......nice bull OU
Here is a Colorado Shiras. I think he is pretty big but I do not know beans about scoring a moose. Also a crappy pic of a Montana moose I think was pretty big as well.

[Linked Image]

Looks like a nice Shiras moose to me, the one in the back will be a good one in a year or 2.
Posted By: tangozulu Re: Shiras bulls - 08/02/10
Thats an Atlin moose, Guy Antilla guide.
Posted By: ou76 Re: Shiras bulls - 08/02/10
yep...said so too...BC 2007...one of my all time favorite guides, outfitters and friends I wish he had not sold out all my favorite Grizzly hunting areas on the TAKU...
Posted By: bwinters Re: Shiras bulls - 08/03/10
Don't know much about meeses but did capture this one in Colorado last Friday PM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I also saw 2 cows with 2 calves at 10,000+ feet elevation. Funny thing, 4 elk came up into the meadow heading somewhere and headed directly for the moose. Both were kind of nervous with the moose moving away. It was neat.
Posted By: Greenhorn Re: Shiras bulls - 08/03/10
That's a stud bull, as big as they get. He could even grow some more tines off the top before he's finished.
Posted By: ou76 Re: Shiras bulls - 08/03/10
Posting of my BC Boone & Crocket BC Moose in Atlin, 2007 was in reference to Folically Challenged reply .. hunting in the East Kootenay where n...o true Shiras reside.keep them coming... as I havE seen too many times on this webasite folks want to stir crap......I have been all over NA for 50 years and taken the NA 29 by SCI 2 times...check out the SCI Awards listing in their magazine..I am the only one to document ti......TURE hunters need to unite and quit this nonsense....
Posted By: tangozulu Re: Shiras bulls - 08/03/10
Sold to the greenies, hunting griz will stop soon.
Posted By: BrentD Re: Shiras bulls - 08/03/10
Any nice moose in the Sandpoint area?

I predict there will be griz hunting in WY before it is over.

Brent
Posted By: ou76 Re: Shiras bulls - 08/03/10
HA!!!...little do you know tangozula about Guy Anttila..at 67 years old he sold to Scott Mackenize of Sugar Lake Outfitters in BC...at this date they are hunting sheep on Atlin Mountain in BC...I have hunted with Guy Anttila since 1987...when did you hunt with him????I took 7 Grizzlies with Guy...
Posted By: tangozulu Re: Shiras bulls - 08/03/10
I live in Atlin.
Shot a few grizzly myself though maybe more than 1 man should have, and not guided. The southern area was indeed sold to the greenies, money was from Round River Conservation Studies NGO out of Salt Lake City. They have worked and funded efforts to shut down the Taku with the Taku River Tlingit Nation. Atlin Mountain is another former area of his.
Atlin has a very good moose population, though not Shiras.............now we're back on topic. I did see some monster moose years ago west of Calgary though and that was only 200 miles north of Montana.
Posted By: rl11 Re: Shiras bulls - 08/03/10
How's the scouting gone so far Dog hunter?
Posted By: Kodiakisland Re: Shiras bulls - 08/04/10
Dog Hunter
If you haven't already, you might want to check out the video Alaska F&G has to judge if a moose is 50 inches or wider. You'll have to factor in that an Alaska moose has a wider head, longer ears, thicker body, but it might give you some ideas about how to judge the size of a rack.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Shiras bulls - 08/05/10
Thanks guys. So far I have only seen 1 bull, which was maybe 30" wide (a guess). I'll find a good one eventually.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Shiras bulls - 10/10/10
Thanks for all the advice. I didn't really use it though. The second I spotted this guy bedded I knew he was a shooter. He's 54.5 inches wide. I couldn't be any happier with him.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Shiras bulls - 10/10/10
Nice bull!~
Posted By: KCBighorn Re: Shiras bulls - 10/10/10
Awesome bull!

Yeah, I can see how you didnt need to look twice.

Looks like you had the right "packframe" to haul him out too smile

Nice work!
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: Shiras bulls - 10/10/10
That's awesome.
Posted By: Greenhorn Re: Shiras bulls - 10/10/10
Beauty! Congrats!!
Posted By: shortside Re: Shiras bulls - 10/11/10
Very nice bull! That is a no-brainer for sure. Glad to see you connected.

Congrats!
Posted By: las Re: Shiras bulls - 10/11/10
Someone doesn't look too happy about it.... smile
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Shiras bulls - 10/11/10
Ahh, thats just Emma. Absolutely wonderful mule, but she is about to retire and become a lawn ornament. She's getting old.

Posted By: High_Brass Re: Shiras bulls - 10/11/10
Congrats on the bull DH! He sure is a big one! Assuming 45-70 in that Marlin?
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Shiras bulls - 10/11/10
Thanks guys

That's actually a 450. I was a little hesitant using the leverevolution rounds on such a big animal, but it worked great, breaking the on shoulder and putting him down instantly. I use them because they are incredibly accurate, not because they give extra range.

BTW, I had that scope cranked all the way up to 4X for that 80 yard shot.
Posted By: High_Brass Re: Shiras bulls - 10/11/10
Glad it worked out for ya. I'd say you got some meat for the winter!
Posted By: pointer Re: Shiras bulls - 10/12/10
Originally Posted by las
Someone doesn't look too happy about it.... smile
I was thinking the same thing! Congrats on a great looking bull.
Posted By: rl11 Re: Shiras bulls - 10/12/10
Well there goes my best set of sheds this year wink

Seriously though, that's a great unit, but that bull's beyond what a guy could expect. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if that's the biggest in the unit.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Shiras bulls - 10/12/10
That is a beautiful bull, congrats Dog Hunter!
Posted By: WildWest Re: Shiras bulls - 10/12/10
Dog Hunter is a Mule and Decker man. Not too many of those deckers do you see in WY.
Nice moose. Sure wish I would have one to pack out my moose in Alaska. I found out what humpin moose meat was all about. Lots of real nice Moose pics. Thanks for posting. Gets the blood going for getting out and hunting.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Shiras bulls - 10/27/11
Bump

I finally got around to dinking with this non-dink. He is wider than the world record (according to B&C website) and the 2nd widest ever in Montana (according to some book I found at sportsmans whorehouse).

With his absurd deductions and single brows he unofficially nets 160. If his right antler matched his left he would be an honest 60 inchs wide. His massive brows measure 18" and 19" long and are 7" in diameter, but since they are singles, they don't count for squat. I'm not really concerned though. It's not like I wouldn't have shot him if I knew he had single brows.

thanks for looking
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Phasmid Re: Shiras bulls - 10/27/11
Try to find one like this winter kill my friend found!
[Linked Image]
53" wide, the 4 brow tines ranged from 16 to 18 inches long coming off the palmations.
Congrats Dog Hunter! That is a beautiful bull you got!
Thanks, Phasmid. It was quite the adventure getting him out let me tell ya.

By the way, I have just been transferred to the arsehole of your fine state (ie Rock Springs). Totally different world than the Bitterroot.
Posted By: passport Re: Shiras bulls - 10/27/11
Wow! Nice Shiras for sure. Who did the euro mount? Looks great
Posted By: Flinch Re: Shiras bulls - 10/27/11
To me, moose are more of a "certain look" kind of animal. Scoring them is really weird and takes a sharp eye to pick up subtle scoring points. I go for the "certain look" in moose and I like mass. My last one had one 15" brown points on each side that looked like massive swords (just like yours). He had 4 long points on the back of each spoon. He doesn't score for squat, but wowed me. I looked at him for a long time and came back and checked on him several times. I just couldn't get him out of my head. He was just cool looking and measured a tad under 40 inches wide. I admire him every day. Sure there are wider bulls with more points, but he had that different cool factor look I love. He aged out at 10.5 years old and was on the way down hill.

Like others said, you KNEW he was a shooter as soon as you saw him. Heck of a bull!! Flinch
Hey guys, thanks for the advise but this thread is a year old and I am just giving an update to the bull I killed.
Posted By: Flinch Re: Shiras bulls - 10/27/11
What did you shoot him with? Bullet, caliber, speed and hit location wink Flinch
Posted By: pointer Re: Shiras bulls - 10/27/11
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
Thanks, Phasmid. It was quite the adventure getting him out let me tell ya.

By the way, I have just been transferred to the arsehole of your fine state (ie Rock Springs). Totally different world than the Bitterroot.
I had to laugh about the last part of that post. Once when there for some sagegrouse meetings, the guy I was with commented upon driving into town that it was one of the ugliest places he'd seen! laugh wink That said, I'm hoping to pull an elk tag in the, hopefully, not too distant future for near there...
Passport, Mother Nature did the european mount on the entire skeleton of that bull. If we were more ambitious we should have gathered up all the bones and wired them together for an interesting yard ornament.

Dog Hunter - My condolences on the move to Rock Springs;) However, there is some really good hunting and fishing nearby and I love the Wyoming Range and Red Desert. Lots of country for you to explore.
Originally Posted by Flinch
What did you shoot him with? Bullet, caliber, speed and hit location wink Flinch

.450 Marlin, 325 gr Leveroution load, unknown velocity but guessing around 2000 FPS, point of left shoulder shot directly broadside. He needed a finisher via 41 Mag, but went straight down after the first shot from the marlin.

Game Trails taxidermy out of Florence MT did the work.
© 24hourcampfire