Home
I've got a buddy who lives in South Dakota who has found a fellow who is going to let us hunt his ranch (4000 ac) for antelope for free (unit 11a). He scouted the ranch with the owner yesterday morning, saw quite a few goats, but reasonable expectations would be for a 12-13" goat. The rancher did mention that there may be better quality goats on the nearby Oglala tribal lands. If that were the case, we could purchase an additional tribal tag for $250, thereby allowing us to shoot 2 bucks on the same trip.

Now for the question... anyone out there have any experience on what roams the bulk of the tribal land in Shannon county? Expect similar goats (12-13") or is there a reasonable chance for a 14-15"er?
I hunted near the Buffalo Gap National Grassland a couple of times. A couple comments I would make: A 14" antelope is a big antelope for South Dakota and I wouldn't pass on any 13" antelope. Also, check to make sure you don't need a guide for hunting tribal lands on Pine Ridge.

ddj
thanks,

yes, will need a guide on tribal lands- that part has already been arranged in the event we buy the extra tags. So the quality of the animals on the tribal lands is no different than the rest of the state?
Personally, I have found less game and less quality game on the tribal lands. This shouldn't be a blanket statement because there are tribes that manage their game well. I thought the Pine Ridge did a good job with their Bison numbers but not as well with deer and antelope. The rancher may have a better idea of the quality and game numbers or better yet talk to the Shannon County game warden.

ddj
© 24hourcampfire