Home
Posted By: MonteMiles250 WY Pronghorn Areas - 02/22/11
Has anyone ever hunted in Areas 77,78,80 or 83?

Im looking for a good trophy potential area with a good amount of public land. How are the numbers in these areas?

I would kinda like to stick to this area since we plan on moving close to this area (more time to scout).

Ill be applying as a non-resident "special" draw, so the odds are decent.

Anything bad or good to say about these units?

Thanks for all the help.
Posted By: shooter4570 Re: WY Pronghorn Areas - 02/22/11
The big migration is through 87 and 30 miles south of there.

Trophy Antelope in WY are few compared to nicer climates like AZ.

A 15" buck is a "good one".

Last year they were very late migrating (easy weather) and stayed in the high country far longer than past years.

If you want a 17", be prepared to look at thousands of Goats and you still may strike out.

I usually draw a type 1 and hunt the whole season looking for big boy and don't kill until the last week. (87 encompasses my property).

Saw a big one last year, two weeks after season closed (4" of snow). He was traveling alone and fast down to the Red Desert. Probably had been "holed up" on private land until the "hunters" running around in Pick-em-ups and ATVs were back at the local gin mill.

Wonderful animal and IMHO the greatest game in the US of A.

A typical buck in our area:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MonteMiles250 Re: WY Pronghorn Areas - 02/22/11
So you wouldnt recommend these areas huh? I have no problem being picky.
Posted By: eh76 Re: WY Pronghorn Areas - 02/22/11
You may want to read this......

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...oming_wildlife_limp_through_#Post4967595
Posted By: shooter4570 Re: WY Pronghorn Areas - 02/22/11
Don't know never hunted them. WYG&F has a phone number with nice people who could probably give you draw success rates and kill success rates.

Your other option is to hire an outfitter, some of who have access to private ranches. Not a free lunch but you won't get run over or hit by flying Bud Lite empties either.

WYG&F Hq is not in Jackson, (nothing much is, except Democrats) and that story was dealing with Deer and Elk. Antelope do not Winter up north nor in the high country. Nor are they subjected to a foolish feeding program (Elk) that causes them to bunch up, overbreed, get all kinds of disease and provide a Wolf/Bear supermarket. Nor have they (Mule Deer) had their winter habitat destroyed by the greed of federal policy that has allowed gas wells to be put all over the winter range which has reduced the herd by 45% NONWITHSTANDING any other events.

Antelope are like Whitetail. They can happily live in your backyard or a Gas field (one of a group of 50+ hanging out with my horses by the barn, 75 yards from the house).

[Linked Image]
O gotcha didnt see your part about Area 87, thought you were talking about the areas I listed. And not a chance I go through an outfitter our crew is only True DIY hunting.

Yeah I have the draw success rates through Eastmans MRS but was just checking to see if anybody ever hunted these areas first hand.

Elkhunter thanks for the heads up. Spring storms is what we really have to worry about. Here in SD we got hit hard last year with some big storms. Pronghorns #'s were way down but I was able to find a buck that topped out right at 83 B&C. Lots of glassing for sure!

Thanks again guys.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: WY Pronghorn Areas - 02/22/11
Wyo Game and Fish website has the odds for draw by areas posted.
Yeah I have the odds for draw on from the Eastmans MRS section, very useful tool.
You all know who shooter4570 is don't you?

Pick an alias...oldman
Posted By: trouthunterdj Re: WY Pronghorn Areas - 02/22/11
Originally Posted by elkhunter76

Pick an alias...oldman

I knew it was to good to be true that he had left.

ddj
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj

Pick an alias...oldman

I knew it was to good to be true that he had left.

ddj

Guess Im missing something here.............
......be thankful you are.
Posted By: Dobetown Re: WY Pronghorn Areas - 02/22/11
All have lots of private land with access problems. Get a local contact with Wy Dow, I know at least one warden lives in Cody and one in Greybull.
Posted By: rosco1 Re: WY Pronghorn Areas - 02/22/11

Pick an alias...oldman

Framis...
Posted By: eh76 Re: WY Pronghorn Areas - 02/23/11
Originally Posted by rosco1

Pick an alias...oldman

Framis...

Yep.......aka oldman1942, bosslady, et al
Posted By: rosco1 Re: WY Pronghorn Areas - 02/23/11
Mr.humble..
Posted By: Tonk Re: WY Pronghorn Areas - 02/23/11
Wyoming has lots of 13 & 14 inch bucks, however a 16 or 17 inch might take you a lifetime in Wyoming. New Mexico does have those 16 & 17 inchers but it is going to take a good guide to get you on one.
And don't forget that length is only part of the over trophy, or at least that's the way I see it. Kind of like width with a muley, many get hung up on width and yet it's only 15% of the score (or close to that).

Point being, lots of ratty looking long horned lopes out there. Find one with good mass, and good cutters with good length and then (IMO) you have something to talk about..

I know of more than a few lopes that booked and or came close to it and never got over 15".

Dober
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: WY Pronghorn Areas - 02/23/11
Good luck to all the lope hunters.

I wish like heck I could go hunt them.

Maybe one day.

JM
Drag your lazy old cheap arse up here punk........
Posted By: shooter4570 Re: WY Pronghorn Areas - 02/23/11
JM, whenever you're ready to come, we'll get you set up. I'll PM you w/contact info to avoid the "troll patrol".

Might even dig out one of my Wyoming Centennial 1885 BROWNING 25-06s.
Which I hope you will appreciate.

[Linked Image]

Have fond memories of hunting birds down your way in my younger days.

Would be nice to have a Southern gentleman come to visit Wyoming, please don't think that some of those who claim residence from there, on here, are representative of the vast majority of us.

Good shooting !
Yep Larry is back.........now confirmed. Good google fu pic laugh
Posted By: shooter4570 Re: WY Pronghorn Areas - 02/23/11
A regular Perry Mason you are ........ and we all know what his "tastes" were.

Time for shooter to go to sleep.
Originally Posted by shooter4570
A regular Perry Mason you are ........ and we all know what his "tastes" were.

Time for shooter to go to sleep.

OK Old Douche gender confused sociopath....Larry If I give you 50 cents will you go buy a better life than the one you have? Go away and let the real people here plan a hunt.

The OP wants real answers not your make believe stuff.

Rick kicked you off this site several times but you keep making up new alias' to continue to be a PITA!
JM and frammy on a hunting trip...Do it JM!
Posted By: MonteMiles250 Re: WY Pronghorn Areas - 02/23/11
Ummm ok everyone back to the topic at hand.....According to the MRS section the area have a majority of public for instance area 78 has 80% public land with good access.

And trust me I know what it takes to get a good pronghorn.

Basically what Im asking is why the same hell is there only 75-150 tags for these areas and in some units there are over a 1000. Is the 80% public a national forest (aka not very many goats in thick forest). Do they herds migrate in and out of these areas. Ive been to the area just east of Cody towards Greybull. And Ive seen a lot of prairie ghosts there but didnt pay attention to see if its public.

SO if anybody has anything half way related to this area I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: WY Pronghorn Areas - 02/23/11
I appreciate the offers. I wish I could go. I think this year is gonna be rough for me.

Mill closures, possible fuel hikes coming and the Federal BCAP program being done away with is gonna put business in the schitter.

Wife is looking at budget cuts to her Youth Program and it may be done away with altogether.

If that weren't bad enough, state cuts have jacked up Ryan's college tuition 15%.

I should have filled all my deer tags last season.....LOL.

Just gotta be careful with what's going on right now.
Originally Posted by MonteMiles250
Ummm ok everyone back to the topic at hand.....According to the MRS section the area have a majority of public for instance area 78 has 80% public land with good access.

Basically what Im asking is why the same hell is there only 75-150 tags for these areas and in some units there are over a 1000. Is the 80% public a national forest (aka not very many goats in thick forest). Do they herds migrate in and out of these areas. Ive been to the area just east of Cody towards Greybull. And Ive seen a lot of prairie ghosts there but didnt pay attention to see if its public.

SO if anybody has anything half way related to this area I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Really? Not hard to figure out, less pronghorn in a unit = fewer tags
Originally Posted by rosco1
Originally Posted by MonteMiles250

Really? Not hard to figure out, less pronghorn in a unit = fewer tags

Really Rosco? Feel free to ignore this topic if you cant be helpful. No crap less tags=less pronghorn. For those that actually have knowledge of these units why is there so few tags? Has it always been this few? Was it over-hunted? Was their a bad spring snow storm in the past few years?

The units have some high ratings from the MRS section of Eastmans. Im just making sure they didnt have a big die-off or they all migrate on the 20% of private land in the area.
Posted By: mtmiller Re: WY Pronghorn Areas - 02/23/11
Increased the tags in 2009 and again in 2010.
Thank you mtmiller. Have you ever hunted the unit?
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: WY Pronghorn Areas - 02/23/11
Partagas could probably give you some insight on area 78.
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Partagas could probably give you some insight on area 78.

Or PM DrHJH....

Many factors enter into license numbers.....public input at G&F meetings is one of the major contributors in addition to the factors you are aware of.
Thanks Cheyenne and elkhunter76. And a happy birthday to you elkhunter76.
Posted By: eh76 Re: WY Pronghorn Areas - 02/24/11
Here is the number for the Cody Regional G&F office 307-527-7125. They can give you accurate info.
Posted By: eh76 Re: WY Pronghorn Areas - 02/24/11
Originally Posted by shooter4570

Trophy Antelope in WY are few compared to nicer climates like AZ.

Would you then explain why Wyoming is ranked #1 and Arizona is #3 in the B&C record book entries by state? Wyoming all time 1015 entries and Arizona all time 319 entries. Last 10 years Wyoming 415 entries and Arizona 82 entries.

Again you prove your lack of factual knowledge and exhibit your ignorance oldman1942............
Posted By: John_Gregori Re: WY Pronghorn Areas - 03/22/15
I'm also looking for a DIY Wyoming Pronghorn hunt. Any additional tips appreciated.
© 24hourcampfire