Home
So i was thinking this morning about bullets and how big of a difference each bullet really has on game. Now dont get me wrong, I LOVE TTSX's, partitions, accubonds, etc.. and thats all i really ever use in my rifles, but do you think they are actually worth the extra $$$? We all know that a corelokt will kill any deer, elk, moose, you name it, out their. But even though they are cheaper, are they actually cheaper in their performance? I have only personally shot a couple deer with factory corlokts, and they all have gone down quickly, but i cant say that i could really have a good comparison with other higher priced bullets. So i guess the real question is, do you think you would be able to tell any difference at all when hunting with corlokts or the other higher priced bullets? What do you all think.
Deer are easy to bring down, premium bullets not necessary IMO. Nothing wrong with them for sure, but not necessary. My son and nephew have killed lots of whitetails and muleys with a 7mm-08 140 gr corelokt.
Rather have a Power Point myself.
These days I really hunt most always with a muzzleloader but when I buy "hunting" ammo Winchester Supreme is my fist choice maybe not the best but it sure works for me.

A few years ago I had a few poeple tell me that they lost a chance because of faulty primers in core loc ammo. Pull the trigger and nothing. I am sure its 100% true that they missed the biggest buck that and anyone has ever seen. Nobody was harvesting a doe these were all huge, record bucks.

But than I thought about it and when they run deals on Core Loc I but a bunch just to shoot and get range time mine always fire, HUMMM

I think good hunters make things work (not refering to myself)

Hank
You don't mention caliber and bullet weight etc.

A 30-06 180 gr will kill deer all day but if you are paying a pile of money for a moose hunt why try to economize on bullets?
This has been hashed over a gazillion times since I've been around these parts,and that's only one year..Deer are all easy to kill and true they don't require premium boolits but I never liked Corelokts one reason for my long interest in reloading.To each his own and that's that...

I'm not going to brow beat anyone for their preference one way or another,it's just that "THEIR" choice! What I will say as have many many others on this same subject have said is, the part of the hunt that goes down the tube is the least expensive part of all and I prefer to spend a little extra for some added performance...makes no sense to buy an expensive rifle,put reasonable glass on board spend tons on tags/gas lodging/food etc. and then shoot cheap bullets..never been able to figure that out!!!
If i couldn't use my Nosler Partitions or one of the premium bullets,Corelokts have always been my choice over the other non premium bullets.

Would I use them instead of the Nosler...No...Not for my hunting.Been there done that, but I like what they have done compared too other low cost bullets..

Jayco
I always like how Speer bullets performed on game out of the traditional cup and cores.
I've seen a lot of animals die via coreloct bullets. Never had a problem with them
I have loaded Core-Lokts for a few folks who were basically looking for cheap ammo and brought me the brass, powder, primers and bullets. They work well on deer and antelope in the usual cartridges (anything from 100-grain .243s on up). I bought 500 150-grain .30 caliber Core-Lokts about twenty years ago and shot them in my .30-06, for use on nuisance feral hogs mainly. I can't remember having to shoot anything twice. I still have a couple hundred or so. I occasionally load up a box or two for a few young friends here in the valley who really can't afford to buy factory ammo for practice.
If Moses were alive today, and writing the Commandments, the 11th Commandment could well be:

Thou Shalt Not Fret over Using Non-Premium Bullets on Deer-Sized Game in Rifles with Moderate Velocity.

Actually, that may already be a Campfire Commandment.
Shhhhhhhh, the deer don't know any difference; don't tell 'em! grin
I have used core-lokts for many years on both deer and feral pigs. I always have had more than enough penetration using them in my 25-06. They are decently accurate in my gun, but the BC of core-lokts are terrible. If you are planning on shooting past 300 yards core-lokts probably are going to be a dissapointment to you. I once shot two pigs with one shot using the core-lokts and the bullet passed all the way through the second pig as well. They were only 60lb pigs so there was not a lot to them, but hey, it was still impresssive. I have only recovered two bullets and they both displayed perfect mushrooms.
Well there is nothing wrong with Corelokts per say, I been buying them in Bulk for my 6.5 x 55 120 gr 6.5 mm They work just fine for the uses that I am using it. Mostly Targets and White Tail Deer. Now If I was going to go pay for an expensive tag, and compared to my white tail tags, anything I would want to shoot would be expensive by comparison. I would go with one of the better 6.5 bullets if I was so inclined. Shooting Barnes X's for example are top of the line game bullets and if you are going to hunt Black Tail Deer in CA for example you may have to shoot that bullet or one like it, because of the law says you have to. So out side of some load development and zeroing it, you will not shoot a whole lot of those, so its not gong to matter a whole lot price wise, you will pay more for a beer. Or a cup of Coffee and Dunkin Donuts. Paper punching is not what you shoot those for.
I have answered this type of question for the last 12 years on the internet forums and I am not changing horses in the middle of the stream!

Yes, I use Remington Core-Lokts and Hornady bullets around my area and in the state I live in hunting deer and those varmints & predators. Deer are very thin skinned animals and certainly not tuff to bring down.

However, I sure as heck am going to use a premium bullet for when I spend big bucks on an out of state hunt or one on another continent gentlemen. It is simply the cheapest form of an insurance policy a hunter could possible purchase. Only common sence would dictate to any hunter, that when one spends several thousand dollars on a hunt, it is fools play to not spend an extra 50 cents on a frigging premium bullet.
Not going to argue those points Tonk, other than for deer, no matter what the cost of the hunt, I'll shoot what shoots best out of my rifle whether that be a corelokt, IB, accubond partition, etc.
Core Lokts useed below 2800-2900fps work fine for anything. It's when you step up past that you will run into trouble.

Personally,except for a few partitions years ago.I have never shot a so called premium bullet in any rifle I own. I can guarantee,I will never use any Barnes bullets.

I am fiddling with some Accubonds in my 6.5 now, but that is only because I am looking for that long bullet in a 130 gr for the fast twist in my Swede.

I also don't buy into the idea that since I am spending big bucks on a hunt,or whatever,that requires a premium bullet.

Yeas ago I did go on a guided hunt in Alberta. Bullet was a 160 gr Sierra Game King that tipped over a nice 6x elk. In 2009 after trying to draw a tag for trohpy area in CO for 20 years,the bullet again was a Sierra that tipped over a 7 x8 elk. Both one shot kills
I don't think that premium bullets are worth the price. Cup and core bullets never stopped killing animals dead for me. I've killed a decent amount of game with Core-Lokts but since becoming a handloader I prefer to use Sierra Pro hunters. That's right not even GameKings. Because I don't need them. And I sure don't need to spend three times more to get TTSX's to kill the same animals that my cup and cores will kill just fine.
The round nose core lokt's are better than the spitzer's. Heavier jacket and the core is actually locked in.
Originally Posted by 7 STW
Rather have a Power Point myself.

Yep!
I've got a huge stash of 30 cal 150 gr that I use for target shooting. But back before I started reading internet forums I killed a moose, blackbear, elk and deer with Corelokts because I didn't know they were so bad.
Never had a problem with Corelokts, myself, for any sized game up to moose. have no interest (well, not much) in tipping over a griz/brown, so I don't worry about it. Keep in mind the "plain-jane" bullets of today are likely considerably better than they were when Nosler first invented the Partition, or Barnes the X.

After I got the premium fever out of my blood, I've gone back to Corelokts, Hornadys, and Speer plain-janes. Nothing wrong with any of them. The Fusion looks promising, but I haven't used it yet. I'll still go to a premium maybe for a light-for-use caliber (like .260 for moose, tho that 140 gr Corelokt did fine on elk), or just because I want to.

Taken at @ 40 yards with hand-loaded 150 Gr Sierra plain-Janes (work identically to Corelokts as far as I can see) thru a 17" barreled '06 last fall. I prefer 165 or 180 grain bullets in this caliber, but I've got several hundred of these things from a 1976 purchase......... Gotta get rid of them before I die. smile

[Linked Image]

Bad picture, but you get the idea.

[Linked Image]
I reload em, they work fine.
Another very good standard bullet is the Speer Hotcore. I've shot many elk with them in a 270 and 2 with a 300 WSM. They penetrate very well and hold together even after hitting heavy bone. I'm told they've dropped them, though, and replaced them with something called the Deep Curl. I hope it's as good. Their website says that to reload Deep Curls, you MUST use their data from their website. Apparently they're a little different.
I've always like the factory loaded 220 GR CoreLokts.

Great bullet performance on larger game and they group very well out of my old Win M70 30-06.

[Linked Image]
How can you not love them 220 Corelokts. It was the standard with all the old timers upstate NY when I grew up. Maybe they knew something. Nice group there, wow. Light recoil too for some reason with them if I remember correctly.
Originally Posted by Oldfenderguy

Great bullet performance on larger game and they group very well out of my old Win M70 30-06.

[Linked Image]

I think anything would group good out of that rifle grin.
killed everything from coyotes on up to elk (one at 485 yds. that went nowhere) with 180 grain core-lokts in 30-06 and nothing walked away; they also shot extremely well out of my rifle....tried them in my 25-06 and they were crap both on game and accuracy.
I love Core-Lokts.....they are very accurate in my rifles.
[bleep] Ole CL's......Probably only harvest 20-30% of ALL big game taken in North America EVERY year. whistle
The two most miserable bullet performances I've seen have been with Core-loss, with the exception of a 200gr in the 35 Remington, I'll not use the [bleep] things.
Best use for a Corelokt is to pull it, insert an eye screw in it and use it for a fishing sinker. grin
My CL failures involved my shot placement as a preteen.

These days, I have no problems with them when they're launched from my arsenal of wimpy non-magnums. I don't use them often, though, on account of Interlocks seem to shoot better out of most of my rifles.

FC
Originally Posted by Dusty246
How can you not love them 220 Corelokts. It was the standard with all the old timers upstate NY when I grew up. Maybe they knew something. Nice group there, wow. Light recoil too for some reason with them if I remember correctly.

I took my last Moose with 220 Core-Lokts in my '06. I was much more pleased with the results than in my previous moose that I took with a 450 Marlin and 350 Hornady's.
I placed a 270 Gr RN Rem Corlokts out of my 375 H&H, on my buddies wounded small Br Bear, 2" behind the front of his nose.
At close range, bear got back up and a shoulder shot killed it.

We later found I hit a small alder and bullet broke up, found lots of pieces when caping skull. Was a interesting day.
Originally Posted by idahostalker
So i was thinking this morning about bullets and how big of a difference each bullet really has on game. Now dont get me wrong, I LOVE TTSX's, partitions, accubonds, etc.. and thats all i really ever use in my rifles, but do you think they are actually worth the extra $$$? We all know that a corelokt will kill any deer, elk, moose, you name it, out their. But even though they are cheaper, are they actually cheaper in their performance? I have only personally shot a couple deer with factory corlokts, and they all have gone down quickly, but i cant say that i could really have a good comparison with other higher priced bullets. So i guess the real question is, do you think you would be able to tell any difference at all when hunting with corlokts or the other higher priced bullets? What do you all think.

I think you're asking several questions.

Ultimately, yes, I can tell a difference and that difference improves my confidence, so the premium bullets are worth the cost to me. After spending an additional $15,000 to buy a 4 wheel drive truck instead of 2 wheel drive truck, thousands of dollars in camping gear, time off work, and so on, do you really think I care about less than $10 more to use bullets I believe in? If it was all about saving money, I wouldn't be eating $200+ a pound venison, I'd stay home and eat store beef. Could I get by with CoreLokt only? Probably, but that's all I'd be doing, getting by. "Getting by" is not why I'm out there.

Tom
Earlier on, dad, brothers, and I killed a flock of deer with 7 Mags with the 150g core loct with 63.0g of IMR 4350 and a 9 1/2 primer...they just work.

We got bored, switched to the 160g Sierra BTSP with 60-61g of IMR 4350 with a 9 1/2, deer flopped just a tad better.

154g HOrnady flat base is a very accurate and though bullet for deer and elk....will shoot thorugh 3 feet of meat easy with 63.0g of IMR 4350 and a 9 1/2. Hard to believe, but the 154g Hornady will shoot a clean through both large boar's shoulders.
Originally Posted by Oldfenderguy

[Linked Image]

Jack O' Connor would have thought nothing of taking out a grizzly or an African lion with that round. Now we "need" premium bullets and magnum rifles to kill deer. The American marketing system indeed has some powerful mind melding mojo.
Do I think that there are better bullets out on the market? Yes I do. Do I think that they will make any significant difference after hitting the animal? No I don't. Do I think that there is a reason to use premium bullets? Yes if it is more accurate in your rifle and it makes you feel better. My various rifles have taken many deer with Cor-Lokt's and other cup and core bullets and they all worked very well. Even two bucks that I took with 100 grain Hornady Spire Points out of my 243 that hand grenaded inside the chest cavity killed like lightning. I can't see spending the money on premium bullets for deer but that's just me. Having said that, a trip of a lifetime for some exotic game in a faraway place would get a full looksee in the premium line. Why? Because I would want every advantage that I could get and years of being told how much better they are than standard cup and core bullets would find it's way in to my mind. I would not want to take a chance on second guessing myself.
A couple of things about Cor-Loks. First, the pointed versions aren't the same bullet that Jack O'connor used so effectively on the grizzlies he shot. They don't have the hour glass shaped jackets anymore that locked their cores. But apparently the round nose versions still do. I've never seen the round nose versions for sale to handloaders.
Under unusual conditions, the premiums do make a difference. I've seen the little 95-100 gr. Nosler Partition break some very heavy bone and still punch a hole in the critter's lungs. Something the same Cor-Loks won't do.
Some premiums also do a much better job of staying on course and killing when they hit brush on the way to the animal. I understand the law enforcement community now uses the Federal Throphy Bonded ammo for some hostage situations. That's because when shot through angled window glass they stay right on course. Something the Sierra Match Kings don't do.
It's your call. I have a strong tendency to pick bullets that work at any angle, under any conditions that I'm liable to shoot. That will seldom include the more fragile designs. E
Originally Posted by Tonk
I have answered this type of question for the last 12 years on the internet forums and I am not changing horses in the middle of the stream!

Yes, I use Remington Core-Lokts and Hornady bullets around my area and in the state I live in hunting deer and those varmints & predators. Deer are very thin skinned animals and certainly not tuff to bring down.

However, I sure as heck am going to use a premium bullet for when I spend big bucks on an out of state hunt or one on another continent gentlemen. It is simply the cheapest form of an insurance policy a hunter could possible purchase. Only common sence would dictate to any hunter, that when one spends several thousand dollars on a hunt, it is fools play to not spend an extra 50 cents on a frigging premium bullet.

Not meaning to pick on anyone but I hear this reasoning for using premiums all the time. In my opinion this is the strongest sales pitch that is used to sell premiums today. It used to be "because standard cup&core bullets cant handle magnum velocities". Now "its cheap insurance". I have killed and seen lots of game killed from deer, sheep, goats, caribou, elk, and moose. Most of them killed with standards. I've wounded game with standards and premiums. There is no insurance for a bad shot, so I really dont buy into that logic. I agree about using a bullet designed to do what you want and finding one that works in your rifle.
Originally Posted by Eremicus
A couple of things about Cor-Loks. First, the pointed versions aren't the same bullet that Jack O'connor used so effectively on the grizzlies he shot. They don't have the hour glass shaped jackets anymore that locked their cores. But apparently the round nose versions still do. I've never seen the round nose versions for sale to handloaders.
Under unusual conditions, the premiums do make a difference. I've seen the little 95-100 gr. Nosler Partition break some very heavy bone and still punch a hole in the critter's lungs. Something the same Cor-Loks won't do.
Some premiums also do a much better job of staying on course and killing when they hit brush on the way to the animal. I understand the law enforcement community now uses the Federal Throphy Bonded ammo for some hostage situations. That's because when shot through angled window glass they stay right on course. Something the Sierra Match Kings don't do.
It's your call. I have a strong tendency to pick bullets that work at any angle, under any conditions that I'm liable to shoot. That will seldom include the more fragile designs. E

I'd be impressed if there were some proof of that. Of course every gun writer I've ever read says any bullet will deflect.......
A couple of things about Cor-Loks. First, the pointed versions aren't the same bullet that Jack O'connor used so effectively on the grizzlies he shot. They don't have the hour glass shaped jackets anymore that locked their cores. But apparently the round nose versions still do.

I believe that is true. The RN 180's in 30 caliber and the 150's in .270 are anything but fragile but at the same time they expand quickly enough to knock the stuffing out of a coyote. A few years ago an old hunter turned me on to them and I have been using them ever since.

Could you please expond on this? Are you talking about Texas heart shots? I have no experience with those but have seen each and every Cor-Lokt that I have experience with seeing broken shoulders and devestated heart/lung damage. That includes a half a dozen black bears taken out of our 2008 camp. Cor-Lokt's were the stated choice of the outfitter and the results that I saw were impressive and proved why the outfitter advised his hunters to use them. On that hunt I used 180 Speer Mag Tip. I missed the shoulder and hit the bear right behind the shoulder with a high double lung shot. Complete pass thru with one rib broken on entrance and three broken ribs on exit. Not bad results as far as I'm concerned. As I said, deer can be easily taken with great results from cup and core bullets, assuming good shot placement. When it comes to less than ideal shots, I have no experience so I cannot comment. I did have a friend hit a big whitetal right in the hind quarter with an arrow. The deer took a few steps, looked around, started to weave and dropped dead. Severed artery killed the buck. I have also used Nosler Partitions with great success and have great respect for them.
Depends on the bullet. The Federal/Speer Throphy Bonded bullets have most of their weight in the nose. That's why in LEO tests, they stay on course when passing through window glass. The Sierra Matchking, on the other hand, has most of it's weight in the butt. And that's why they deflect easily.
From what I've seen, Nosler Partitions deflect all right, but since they stay together, they have more left to kill with when they get to the target. I've made two such kills. One was a 175 gr. NP that hit the target where aimed already expanded. Blew right through the heart for a rapid kill. The other was a 300 yd. shot with a 140 gr. NP. Deflected off course and missed the shoulder. But did penetrate the near thigh and open up the femoral artery. Buck was bleeding profusely and struggling on three legs when finished with another shot. E
I don't see what role a corelokt would play in my hunting. Sure it would "work", but so much better is out there. If I want to fling a cup and core, it's going to be a high BC bullet that will absolutely bughole out of my rifle.
My wife and I have a safari hunt planned in sept. this year. We will be going to Namibia on a plains game hunt with Kudu, Gemsbuck, Red Hartebeest, wildebeest and several smaller animals on the list. In order to eliminate a lot of hassle and worry, we picked an outfitter that provided guns and ammo. I was concerned that my wife who is rather small framed would not be able to handle the gun choices she would have there but Jan said that he had several calibers with different weight bullets. His reccomendation was his 270 with 150 Rem. Core Loks. If they are good enough for him and the animals he shoots on a regular basis, then I think they are fine for anything here other than maybe bear.
Calm down everyone. Corelokts work fine and are accurate, provided the shooter is up to it and barrel is capable. There's a good reason they've endured this long. Are they a Nosler Partition? Of course not, but you're not paying Partition. For the money they're a terrific value.

Jason
I shot a whitetail at about 30 yards with a 308 w/150 Corelokt behind the shoulder, classic shot. It then went thru the deer then thru the side of an oak tree and kept going. I've shot deer at that distance many times with other bullets with no pass thru. My buddy shot thru a small pine tree in Maine with a 180 corelokt, 06, and dropped a huge whitetail, at 15 yards. Tuff bullet in our limited experience of 42 years, yikes. Naturally your results may vary.
Core-Lokt on the left, NPT on the right. same weight when launched, same cartridge, and same species.

i'll pay the extra $$

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Jayman_10x
Calm down everyone. Corelokts work fine and are accurate, provided the shooter is up to it and barrel is capable. There's a good reason they've endured this long. Are they a Nosler Partition? Of course not, but you're not paying Partition. For the money they're a terrific value.

Jason

Couldn't agree more. Though I have dabbled with premiums Core Lokt's are excellent bullets for their intended use. If I were a subsistence hunter, I'd choose Core Lokt's over any other.
Originally Posted by toad
Core-Lokt on the left, NPT on the right. same weight when launched, same cartridge, and same species.

i'll pay the extra $$

[Linked Image]

Your picture proved nothing; you qualified nothing. In fact, a bullet resembling the Corelokt may equate to a success more often than not. I have hunted for over 20 years and have had great success with the bullet. Again, it's a great value. Would I shoot a brown bear in the shoulder at 50 yards with one? Of course not. Would I use it for my annual venison supply at reasonable shooting range, with a bullet correctly placed? Of course I would, and most experienced hunters would concur. Nothing substitutes for sound bullet placement and careful stalking within range.

Now go peddle your silly pictures somewhere else.
Jayman...

You're an idiot.
I just got in from the shop cutting a 30 cal 180gr pointed CL and a 30 cal 180 gr round nose CL. The round nose has a thicker jacket. These were pulled from two boxes 30-06.

i'll pay the extra $$

[Linked Image]
How did you get that species to hold still long enough to recover that core lokt that failed? That picture doesn't tell the size of the species, where each bullet hit, distance of the shot, etc. etc. etc. Jayman, you are not an idiot. An idiot would take for gospel everything they read and see on an internet forum. You have been found guilty of being a bit doubtful of one picture on the internet. That's it. That's all. That does not make you an idiot.
He never said it failed. He did say which he preferred and I think he was using the picture to show why he prefers what he does.

Your picture proved nothing; you qualified nothing.

Geee...... frown

I doubt Toad intended it to be the last word on bullet performance but it certainly illustrates(for those who might not have experience with both bullets)that a CC bullet will sometimes slip core and jacket in tough going(no secret).....and a Nosler Partition will expand back to the partition wall, where expansion will stop.......(also no secret)...

All this may not have any effect on whether the animal dies......but then again, it might....someday....somewhere...on something....

If I were hard pressed and needed factory ammo for a hunt(unlikely),I'd grab factory fodder with CoreLokts and Talley Ho! grin

And would be twice as happy with a box of Corelokt Ultra's in the same weight.....

I always figured jackets and cores were meant to sorta stay more or less together....otherwise, the makers would have sold them to me in seperate boxes.... smile

But if stuffing hulls for a hunt across the continent,the Corelokt just would not make the short list....like Calvin says,they just don't fit into the game plan.

Toad thanks for your efforts in posting the picture. wink
I have alot of experience with the CoreLokt 200 gr. in .35Rem and have grown to like that bullet on deer.

We were shooting so many pigs off of farm land years ago, that I got a little lazy about reloading and tried to save me some time, So I bought some Corelokt 165's in 30-06 and 120's in 25-06.

Fragmentation was a problem, especially with the 120's. Piggies ran alot.

Got off my duff and went back to loading Partiions and once again, they quit running as much or as far. We had to remove all these pigs from the fields and alot of this was done at night, so taking time to find a runner sucked and you would have to move to another location after tracking him and dragging the pig out.

I'm sure the corelockt would have worked fine on deer, just never used them for that.

JM

From what I've seen with core lokt's the heavy for caliber ones work very well.
Originally Posted by DeerSkinner
I just got in from the shop cutting a 30 cal 180gr pointed CL and a 30 cal 180 gr round nose CL. The round nose has a thicker jacket. These were pulled from two boxes 30-06.
The round nose works really well.
The Corelokt is my bullet of choice in the 30-30..The price is such I don't even reload for it as the Corelokt works just dandy and at a dandy price, on special...

I did get 5 boxes of 30-30 fusions at $5 a box so I guess I will be trying those for comparison one day.

Jayco
The slow movers out of lever guns seem to work well.
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

I think "slow" is the key word here with most of the bullets of old.They worked back then and still do, if you don't hot rod them past there intended velocities.Is a 180 grain Corelokt going to work better in a .308 Winchester or a .300 Weatherby or Ultra Mag?

I wouldn't be afraid to use a factory 180 grain Corelokt in my '06 if that was all I had, at 2700 fps.

But yes,I prefer Noslers and am willing to pay the little extra for piece of mind and performance in hunting circumstances that all to often,happen.

But that is Elk talk,not deer..

Jayco
I have alot of experience with the CoreLokt 200 gr. in .35Rem and have grown to like that bullet on deer.

Ive had a 35 Rem in 336 since I was 12. Sadly never shot a deer with it. Im having a 35 built on a 700 right now, and the 200gr is what im going to start reloading with. After seeing tests on the net, im sure itll do a hell of a job.

I do have alot of experience with the 6mm 100gr core lokts. Mostly all have been bang flops. A couple required 2nd shots, but they were running/poor angles. From what I can remember, none lost its core. Most were total train wrecks though. That could be chalked up to impact velocity, as most were shot from treestands in heavy cover. A couple longer than that, though still well under 100yrds on the power line going to the stand.

Ive pretty much always used core lokts because my family didnt reload. Used PP's in my '06 and they seemed to work identically to the core lokts. Used a TSX in my '06 one time, and it worked well. Not as much tissue damage, but it did go completely through. The core lokts rarely do. Again, probably a distance/velocity thing. Last deer I took(been skunked for couple years) I used a 130gr Accubond on my 270 short mag. Bullet didnt pass through, but the insides were soup. Still think I hit a tree he was beside going in. Should have passed through easily at about 80 yrds.

Well, enough rambling. Ill keep using core lokts for most things. Im in PA, and pretty much shoot shoulders because of all the other hunters out there so with the short distances it pretty much doesnt matter what bullet I use. Now that im getting into reloading that might change, but so far ive been happy with core lokts.
Originally Posted by Calvin
Jayman...

You're an idiot.

lol

i'll pay the extra $$

[Linked Image]

Your picture proved nothing; you qualified nothing. In fact, a bullet resembling the Corelokt may equate to a success more often than not. I have hunted for over 20 years and have had great success with the bullet. Again, it's a great value. Would I shoot a brown bear in the shoulder at 50 yards with one? Of course not. Would I use it for my annual venison supply at reasonable shooting range, with a bullet correctly placed? Of course I would, and most experienced hunters would concur. Nothing substitutes for sound bullet placement and careful stalking within range.

It takes someone rather "special" to discount a picture like the one above, especially since most of the posters on this forum have seen the exact same thing.

That type of performance is forgivable on a high BC bullet, but in this day and age with what we have available, no reason to shoot such a dog of a bullet.
Originally Posted by M7300SAUM
How did you get that species to hold still long enough to recover that core lokt that failed? That picture doesn't tell the size of the species, where each bullet hit, distance of the shot, etc. etc. etc. Jayman, you are not an idiot. An idiot would take for gospel everything they read and see on an internet forum. You have been found guilty of being a bit doubtful of one picture on the internet. That's it. That's all. That does not make you an idiot.

i got that species to hold still long enough to recover that bullet with another bullet. betcha diddn't see that coming.

Now that's funny right there.....I dont care who you are!
We had a bad experience with Corelokt on an elk.
A well placed shot from a .30-06 entered a shoulder, failed to penetrate anything vital, and deflected off bone.
The shooter was very lucky to get a 2nd shot into the animal.
Post-mortem it was clear the 1st bullet never expanded.
With the choices available today I've no use for Corelokt.
Originally Posted by M7300SAUM

i got that species to hold still long enough to recover that bullet with another bullet. betcha diddn't see that coming.

I've even done that to recover a "premium" hole! grin Betcha diddn't see that coming either.
plan 'A' is always 'anchor the victim'.
I honest-to-God don't think that there is a significant difference among any of the standard cup-and-core bullets: Core-Lokt, Power-Pt, Speer, Hornady Interlock, etc. - and I've used them all. At impact speeds below 3000 fps and on deer-sized game, they will all work. I'd base my choice on whichever one gives you the best accuracy, then go forth in search of game.
Originally Posted by Calvin

i'll pay the extra $$

[Linked Image]

It takes someone rather "special" to discount a picture like the one above, especially since most of the posters on this forum have seen the exact same thing.

That type of performance is forgivable on a high BC bullet, but in this day and age with what we have available, no reason to shoot such a dog of a bullet.

You're not paying attention. Re-read (or have someone read it for you) my posts - I stated Corelokts are not premium bullets. They are for deer hunting at normal ranges.

Jason
[quote=Calvin

It takes someone rather "special" to discount a picture like the one above, especially since most of the posters on this forum have seen the exact same thing. [/quote]

Hey Calvin,
I took a quick sample of the posts to this topic and approximately 80% agree that Corelokts are decent bullets, subject to use with common sense.

I don't care if you want to hurl insults at me. It's just the internet and I don't take you seriously. But at least make an effort to substantiate your claims.

Jason
"That type of performance is forgivable on a high BC bullet, but in this day and age with what we have available, no reason to shoot such a dog of a bullet."

Except perhaps that they are cheap and when used properly, they work fine, just as they have for decades.
Now just let me say this in such a way as so some who don't understand, can have the light turned on in their thinking caps.

If your going to be shooting a magnum rifle with velocities over 2700fps, then you best start looking for a premium bullet or suffer the lose down the road of an animal or three.

I am not shooting a .300 win mag or 7mm mag at 2600fps on any hunt or type of animal. I don't shoot a .270 Winchester at that velocity either, so I won't be using Core-Lokts or any other "cup & core" bullet.

I have shot deer with a .35-Whelen at 2500fps and Core-Lokts worked just dandy! On African game I will also use a premium bullet always......they are tuffer species than whitetail deer for a fact. Now if someone is spending $7,000 dollars for a guided elk hunt and wants to use Cup N Core bullets to save 50-cents than so be it but my mother raised a brighter child folks!!!
I don't think they are a accurate as premiums but I think they expand kill just fine.
Originally Posted by logcutter

I think "slow" is the key word here with most of the bullets of old.They worked back then and still do, if you don't hot rod them past there intended velocities.Is a 180 grain Corelokt going to work better in a .308 Winchester or a .300 Weatherby or Ultra Mag?

I wouldn't be afraid to use a factory 180 grain Corelokt in my '06 if that was all I had, at 2700 fps.

But yes,I prefer Noslers and am willing to pay the little extra for piece of mind and performance in hunting circumstances that all to often,happen.

But that is Elk talk,not deer..

Jayco

That's pretty much where I'm at too. In the grand scheme of things saving a few cents a bullet when gas, tags, and other expenses are so expensive just doesn't make sense. It's not like I'm going to pay off my house earlier with all that bullet money I saved over the years or anything.
Hei DLALLDER
there is nothing wrong 270 WSM for Africa. Maybe 150gr is to small for animals like Gemsbuck, Kudu, or Wildebeest but PH should know better. I take this spring in SA Kudu with 185gr Accubond 100yrds and my friend wildebeest with Norma oryx (similar bullets to Core Loks) 200yrds... Both shots was made with .30-06 and there was no difference...animals was down same place where bullet hit them.
NB! But prepare to make long range shots. In such ranges Core Loks is not the best as bullet drop is huge...

Originally Posted by JGRaider
Deer are easy to bring down, premium bullets not necessary IMO. Nothing wrong with them for sure, but not necessary. My son and nephew have killed lots of whitetails and muleys with a 7mm-08 140 gr corelokt.

My thought on it as well.
Speaking of Deer Bullets..My all time favorite Deer bullet is the 130 grain Sierra out of my 270 Win...Talk about slam dunks...

Kinda the VLD Ultra of old... grin

Jayco
Originally Posted by logcutter
Speaking of Deer Bullets..My all time favorite Deer bullet is the 130 grain Sierra out of my 270 Win...Talk about slam dunks...

Kinda the VLD Ultra of old... grin

Jayco

I'm hearing you Jayco. I've had great luck on Minnesota Whitetail with 140 gr. Sierra Gamekings in my 270 Win. Extremely accurate bullets with great terminal performance. Can't beat it with a stick.

Jason
Don't get me wrong here, because I shoot lots of premium bullets, but deer just aren't all that hard to kill when their ticket is properly punched. I've killed a fair number with plane-Jane Winchester power points, for example, and have never noted much difference in the "degree of dead."
I have killed a lot of deer with Corelokts. My dad and brother in law use them from their 7mm Rem. mags. I use them sometimes in my 7mm-08 and .30-06. About half of my family use nothing but the Corelokt. I have tried various bullet designs and I find that as far as performance on deer size game, it is very hard to beat. I have used the more expensive bullets in the past and in my opinion, I rather have the cheaper soft point style bullets such as the Corelokt, Power Point, Power Shok, or Interlokt.

Hi Motorist

Sorry about that, but Oryx are different from Corelokt because they are bonded core bullets, made to expand without loosing much weight and also to do less meat damage (bloodshot meat) because in Scandinavia where they are made meat is sold in shops and marts.
What they have in common is cup and core.
Here in France most of the Core lokt shot are 35 Whelen on wild boars in driven hunt. Even if they are not NPT, TSX, A-frame they do their job if the hunter do its own.
The Oryx also and a very good bullet it is. With it i shot around 130 pieces of game including swedish and finnish moose, red deer and wild boars. Nothing bad about it except maybe that is not a flashy spectacular bullet.
Originally Posted by idahostalker
So i was thinking this morning about bullets and how big of a difference each bullet really has on game. Now dont get me wrong, I LOVE TTSX's, partitions, accubonds, etc.. and thats all i really ever use in my rifles, but do you think they are actually worth the extra $$$?

Most of the time they are not necessary. Occasionally a situation is encountered where a premium might succeed where a C&C might not. All the shooter will never know is that the bullet they chose performed well or did not.

For myself, I don�t worry about bullet cost when hunting big game. The only Cup & Core bullets use are in the handguns and levers in .44 Mag, .30-30 and .375 Win.

IMHO for deer and game <500 lbs I would think premium bullets are not required and doubt there would be any statistical difference in either provided adequate caliber/ bullet weight used. However statistical data is very hard to collect in field conditions. If you feel better with premium bullets killing too dead is not a problem so have at it if you want but it really isn't necessary as decades of std bullet use has pretty much proven.
a piece of road gravel at 2800 fps will kill a deer.

but Cor-Lokt is the LAST bullet i'd take after a 450# bear

I've seen a lot of large game taken with Core-Lokt's, and in my opinion they work very efficiently.

Although I prefer Nosler Partitions I wouldn't have any concerns about taking the largest North American game using heavy for caliber Core-Lokts.

[Linked Image]
Some of the best performing bullets and deepest penetrating I've ever tested have been .270 150 grain Core-Lokts. I'd shoot anything in North america with that bullet if I had the opportunity.
Well it hardly seems fair to have a corelokt discussion without hearing from the other side. If this guy could talk he'd tell you he absolutely hates them.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Core-lockts are fine but I've observed larger wound channels with WINCHESTER Power Points.

Sherwood
I have only 1 kill with a core lokt. A caribou in NFLD in 2001. About a 50 yard shot with a 150 gr out of a 308. Bullet broke a rib on the way in and on the way out. Animal was down after a 30 yard death run.
hi Marseille
You probably right about Oryx...for my 30-06 I have used for year Lapua Mega what is similar to Oryx. And pleasant with results.
About selling game meet in shops don't know but Finns nearly never sell out game what they have shot. Have been in Finland for hunting several times over years and shoot there 6 mooses. The hunting club normally share all game meat among members.
Why use such strong caliber for wild boars as 35 Whelen??? I have also 9,3x64 brenneke in "collection" and shot just to try 3 wild boars with that...results are terrifying from meat point of view...
normally use 30-06 Blazer or Krieghoff drilling 7x57 for wild boars. If you hit properly they do not run long.
© 24hourcampfire