Home
Posted By: laker Hunting boots - 06/01/11
Im looking for a new pair of hunting boots. What are your guys with wide feet favorite hunting boots?
Posted By: las Re: Hunting boots - 06/01/11
This inquiry is lagging, so I'll give it a shot, even tho I don't have wide feet. I do have 40 plus years of back=pack hunting experience. And I'm cheap, compared what many others might recommend.

Check out Cabela's Iron Ridge or Mt Hunters in your foot width, depending on budget/needs. I've used both, no complaints. More expensive boots will likely serve adequately if you have a larger pocketbook...

Unless you really have special needs, most any name brand - especially upper end name brand - boots will do you well with appropriate break-in.

IMO - of more importance (during and after break-in) is to wear 2 pairs of socks - the inner one synthetic or silk, air your feet as often as possible, wash if possible, change socks as often as possible, and at the first hint of "hot-spot", wash your feet if possible and slap on some moleskin on the "hot-spot". At least air the feet to let the skin toughen a bit before applying the moleskin.

Posted By: bwinters Re: Hunting boots - 06/01/11
I'm with las, I don't have wide feet, more average and I wear USA made Danners. I have several pairs of Cabelas Elk Hunters and a pair of 600 gram Canadian's. The Elk Hunters are 400 grams, well made, and have served me well for the past 6-8 years. I normally wear out a pair of boots in 2-3 years of hard hunting. My first pair of Elk Hunters are probably 8 years old and still have life although I bought the next size bigger to wear more socks. My second pair is ~ 3 years old and have alot of life left in them. The only issue with them is that they take a bit to break in and can get a bit heavy when worn in wet conditions for several days.

I've been looking at lightweight boot options for my elk hunting needs. I wear a pair of Merrell Phasers during no snow/cold years which are light and fairly waterproof. Normal elk hunting weather calls for a bit more boot but I'm always looking for ways to shed weight - especially on my feet.

I'd be curious what guys are wearing on "normal" Late October/early November elk trips as well.

Good luck.
Posted By: GaryVA Re: Hunting boots - 06/01/11
For general purpose hunting boots from stalking with a longbow to rifle hunting; the best boots I've ever found for my wide feet are Redwings fit to my feet by the cobbler in the Redwing shop. I like the Redwing 914 when temps are above freezing, and I like the Redwing 1412 when temps are freezing. I wear 11 EEE and the boots are outstanding for extreme professional and recreational use.

For backpacking boots requiring a stiff shank, I've favored the Sheephunters made for Schnee's. But the next pair I will try are the Kenetreks based on numerous reviews. The very best constructed boots made are complete junk if they do not fit your feet. Many of the top boots made are junk to my feet due to their narrow fit.
Posted By: Folically_Challenged Re: Hunting boots - 06/01/11
Boots are more personal than a toothbrush. You've gotta go for fit, first & foremost.

And if that means more $, then so be it. The way I see it, boots are probably the last place to save $. Cheap rifles can still kill animals, but cheap boots can make your life hell.

I just did around 20 miles in a pair of HiTek's this past weekend. They kept the water out perfectly, but they were hell on my toes, heels, knees, hips, & back. I'd have been far better served to wear my leaking Asolo Fugitive GTX's. I'll be getting another pair of Asolo's (probably TPS 520's), on account of nothing else comes close to fitting me as well.

FC
Posted By: Berettaman Re: Hunting boots - 06/01/11
Schnees Beartooth's...or would it be Bearteeth's?...for me. Just love them from elk hunting to pheasant hunting to deer hunting and everything in between. Dont go cheap on your feet. I have and regretted it.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Hunting boots - 06/01/11
My favorite hunting boots period are Danner
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Hunting boots - 06/01/11
What conditions?

Any time it is dry, regardless of how cold it is, I prefer to leave the boots home and wear something similar to a running shoe in camo or otherwise non-reflective colors. Add thicker socks if it's cold.

My wet weather boots are Danners. I'm on my 2nd pair. Frankly, the first pair was a lot better boot that fit my feet a lot better. I typically wear a standard size 9 but sometimes an 8-1/2 "awful wide" works well, too. This second pair, while nominally the same size, is much tighter around the ankles and if worn with thick socks, cuts off circulation making my feet colder rather than warmer.

Tom
Posted By: KC Re: Hunting boots - 06/01/11

+1 on what las wrote.

I used a pair of Vasque Montana boots for ten years and climbed all of the Colorado fourteeners during that time. I re-soled them twice before they finally bit the dust. They were the best pair of boots I've ever owned. But they don't manufacture them any longer.

The closest that I can find to them is the Vasque Sasslong boot. Here's the link to Sierra Trading Post.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/Product.aspx?baseno=83043&cdf=TopSeller

Their current price is good but if you wait and watch you can get them cheaper.

KC

Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: Hunting boots - 06/01/11
Meindl.
Posted By: ShootDogs Re: Hunting boots - 06/01/11
I really want a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extreme, but will probably settle for something in the Cabela's Iron Ridge price range.
Posted By: oklahunter Re: Hunting boots - 06/01/11
Well, I think the price has gotten a little high but I still like the Danner Sierra (US made boot). I have the insulated duty boot version (tan). Great boot. Much better than the issue boot in just about every way and it fits my wide forefoot without leaving my heel swimming.
Posted By: HighRoad Re: Hunting boots - 06/02/11
I've just put 15 miles on a pair of these and love them. I had Danner Frontiers before, liked them a bunch, still use them as a back-at-camp boot.

http://www.danner.com/santiam-400g-7849.html
Posted By: Biggs300 Re: Hunting boots - 06/02/11
After 7 years of hunting the hills of SE Oklahoma, plains of west TX and late-season deer hunting of the bad lands of S. Dakota, I'm only on my second pair of Irish Setter boots. Actually, my first pair is still being used. They are lightweight, waterproof and warm (with the right wool socks). Most important, they are comfortable and reasonably priced. I would recommend checking the various models of Irish Setter boots available from Redwing.
Posted By: bkraft Re: Hunting boots - 06/02/11
Russell High Country Hunters with the Air Bob sole.
Posted By: Elkmen Re: Hunting boots - 06/02/11
The air bob sole is the best sole I have ever used in the mountains. I can't find them however on many leather boots. Right now I am using Asolo 535's for general use (the most comfortable boot I have ever worn) and for heavy work La Sportiva, Glaciers, with Gor Tex lining, a great heavy go anywhere, pack anything boot. Takes some breakin time however. I also wear gaitors most every day in the woods.
Posted By: colorado bob Re: Hunting boots - 06/02/11
Dogcatcher got it----Meindl. Best boot I've ever worn. Been on 3 sheep hunts & elk hunting every year. Replaced them with another pair this past year. Never a blister, never a problem. CB
Posted By: bwinters Re: Hunting boots - 06/02/11
Lotsa good boots listed and some recurring themes.

I'm curious - does anyone know of a waterproof cold weather boot (think snow) that weighs less than 4 lbs? I've settled into Cabelas Elk Hunters (8", 400 gram) and they weigh right at 4 lbs. They have served me well but I'm always looking for a lighter alternative. There is a world of difference when I wear my Merrell Phaser (2.5 lbs) and my Elk Hunters (4 lbs). That 1.5 lbs feels like 50 by the end of a hard days hunting.
Posted By: fishdog52 Re: Hunting boots - 06/02/11
Footwear is something that I absolutely, positively believe should be worn before buying. With the technology built into todays boots, they should be seriously comfortable from the minute you put them on. I have learned this the hard way, and more than once.
The concept of "breaking in" is seriously outdated and way over-rated. Makes about as much sense to me as using oil based paint when good acrylic stuff that can be cleaned under a faucet is readily available.
My feet seem to have become far more demanding in the last 10 or 15 years. I do have wide feet.....13W.
I would also suggest that cost doesn't neccesarily indicate quality.
In recent years I have had the best luck with Vasque & LaCrosse brands, no success finding Rocky's that will fit. Browning & Wolverine also work for me. I am not a fan of "store brand", but there are likely some good ones, based on earlier comments.
A boot feature that I believe important, and am still learning about, is "breathability" of the liners. This feature can truly improve the experience with waterproof boots as well as ease the drying chore at the end of the day. Also believe that the earlier comment recommending 2 pairs of sock to be great advice. Changing to fresh socks around mid-day is another magical improvement to a long days outing.
Posted By: Eremicus Re: Hunting boots - 06/03/11
I use one of the Heavy Back Packing/Light Mountaineering models, such as the 520's, that Asolo makes. Yes, I have wide feet.
But more important than make is getting one that feels and fits right. Trying to "break in" new boots is an out of date idea.
So, find some that interest you, and try them on with the appropriate socks. They either feel and fit right or they don't. A good sales person can give you pointers on what to look for and how to best lace them.
Frankly, w/o properly fitted boots, I'm not going to do any significant hunting. So, I'd spend at least as much effort to get the right boots as I would the right rifle. E
Posted By: GSSP Re: Hunting boots - 06/05/11
Originally Posted by bkraft
Russell High Country Hunters with the Air Bob sole.

+1

Custom fit and if they don't fit "just right", they'll keep sending UPS to pick them up at their cost until they get it just right.

Alan
Posted By: Boman Re: Hunting boots - 06/09/11
Kenetrek Mountain boots. They are the best I've ever worn hands down. In the past I've used Cabelas Meindl's, Danner-various, and Rocky's. The Kenetrek are in a league of their own. I've got bad feet too, surgery on each of them. Cant say enough good about them.
Posted By: Waders Re: Hunting boots - 06/10/11
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Boots are more personal than a toothbrush. You've gotta go for fit, first & foremost.

AMEN!

I have wide feet. My hunting experiences and my enlistment in the Army have led me to try a variety of boots, and it has been surprising what works and what doesn't.

I've had boots from one manufacturer be awesome, and then another pair from that same manufacturer be a nightmare (Danner is the culprit here). I have found that I can't mail order boots--I need to try them on and walk around in the store for about 30 minutes (really! 30 minutes!) Now, if a boot doesn't feel terrific in the store, it's going to really feel "not terrific" outside. There is no sense in buying a pair of boots that doesn't fit just quite right and hoping to "break them in" through repeated use. Maybe that's what you had to do 30 years ago, but not anymore.

As for my own experiences with various brands, like I said, it's been all over the board:

Danners - About 10 pairs over the years. Mixed results. All bad with Chinese made Danners.

Irish Setter - 2 pairs. Same model. Fit and feel is great. One pair leaks and the other is tight as a drum. With a lot of SnoSeal I can waterproof the leaky pair. For the money, I like Irish Setter.

Meindl - 1 pair that I bought in Germany. They leaked and after 4 years, the sole fell off one boot.

Rocky - 1 pair. One boot rubs bad. Moleskin remedies that. Tough durable boots. Heavy though. I will definitely try another pair. For $130, if I can get a pair that doesn't rub, I'll be very happy.

Matterhorn - 1 pair. Good insulated, waterproof boot. Fit well for several years. Then one year I threw them into the closet wet and they dried with one boot bent at an odd angle. Next season, that boot began to rub my achilles really bad! Tried several fixes. Ended up tossing them.

Anyway, try 'em before you buy 'em. Then try 'em before you hunt 'em. Buy at Cabela's and you can return them w/o hassle. I bought a pair of Danners there last year. They felt great in the store, felt great in the summer getting ready, and they felt great while hunting. Except...the right boot leaked. I took them back to Cabela's in December. No questions asked. If a boot fails, they'll stand behind it. (So the next time somebody warns you about Cabela's high prices, keep that in mind.)

Good luck in your search! PLEASE let us know what you get AND how it works out for you!
Posted By: rl11 Re: Hunting boots - 06/10/11
Meindl's seem to run wide, and are a lot of boot for the money.
Posted By: logcutter Re: Hunting boots - 06/10/11
I use nothing but high top insulated tennis shoes with a "flat sole" no heals...The old Galloshis if it's wet....Hunting needs no heals in my opinion aka just like Moccasins.

Your opinion may differ!!!!

Jayco
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Hunting boots - 06/11/11
Originally Posted by laker
Im looking for a new pair of hunting boots. What are your guys with wide feet favorite hunting boots?

I have very flat feet. I wear a 10 4E in Danner GT Snake Boots. Very comfy for about three days, no fault of the boots. Then I have to get back into my orthotics for a spell. We usually go into town for a good hot fresh meal during that time.

As Logcutter stated I like the flat soles with no heels.
Posted By: Mull Re: Hunting boots - 06/11/11
I'm A Boot Slut. Got Over 20 Pair. As Most Have Said, The Danner's Are Hard To Beat As Long as Their Made in USA.The Rockys Seem To Be a Ok For a Cheaper Boot.
© 24hourcampfire