Home
Should I just use a 270 win. with 130 gr. bullets or my 300 win mag with fast, light 110gr TSX bullets?

Shooting will be max. 400-450yards.
Use your 270. I have on about 15-20.
Whichever you shoot best! I have seen antelope shot to pieces with a 300 Weatherby without a clean kill and I have seen a truckload killed quickly cleanly humanely with a 243. None of those animals is gonna require alot of ft/lbs just a well placed bullet.
.270 would be great
Of the two, 270. Any others, 6.5x47 Lapua with a 129 SST @2925 or so.
Check the wind drift at 450 yds, and let that help you make your choice. I'm guessing the .270 will have less wind drift even though it has a lower muzzle velocity due to the bad ballistic coefficient of those light .30-cal bullets vs. the decent BC of most 130-gr .27-cal bullets.

Without running the ballistics myself, I would vote for the .270.
Originally Posted by RinB
Use your 270. I have on about 15-20.

yepper what he said, try R22 or 7828 and a 140 Berger and rock on. (but about any bullet would do just fine and the 110 TTSX would rate a thunk)

Dober
257 wby!!! Oh wait, thats not an option
The good ol 270 is plenty. Don't really matter as long as that bullet hits the right spot.
260 Rem. loaded with a 120 gr. BT or 130 Accubond. MTG
270 hands down. Plenty cartridge, and its the Classic choice for Pronghorn Antelope.
Don't feed the troll, guys..
Originally Posted by joelbiltz
The good ol 270 is plenty. Don't really matter as long as that bullet hits the right spot.

+1
45-70
What is the best brand of beer....
hmmm... let me think... so many good choices
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80

Hell yeah! Love them Bees!

+1 but 270 will do nicely.
Never shot a blacktail, but I have shot more pronghorns and Coues whitetails with a .270 than with all my other rifles combined (and I have hunted them with the .243, .25-35, .257 AI, .270 WSM, .280, .280 AI, and .300 WSM). I like playing around with a lot of different cartridges and rifles, but if I had to go back to one rifle it would be either a .270 or a .30-06.
I am with Prwlr a 257 wby would have been my choice a couple of years ago...but thanks to my EX it is now my 270 win!
I aint killed any of the three sept the antelope and the .270 was the killin tool I used
There is no "best" but my favorites for antelope are my .257 Roberts and 6.5-06AI. It doesn't take much to put one on the ground, especially the does I normally hunt.

Might take the #1 .280 this year, though - its a virgin in my hands and shoots great.
Originally Posted by brooksrange
Should I just use a 270 win. with 130 gr. bullets or my 300 win mag with fast, light 110gr TSX bullets?

My personal favorite is a .257 Roberts or a .25-06, but since they are not options for you, I would go with your .270 Win.
*** You are ignoring this user ***
Toggle the display of this post

Gee...that looks familiar.... grin
I'm taking my 6.5-284 in two weeks to NM for Pronghorns. Killed one last year with it. This year, its wearing a Z5 Swaro with ballistic turret calibrated to the load. On a bench, this gun will shoot 4 1/2" at 600 yds. with progressively smaller groups back to a hundred where it shoots teens and twos. Now, with a bipod and me shooting it, probably not that good. Should do the trick with 140 SST's at 2,950 fps.

My latest project is a .240 Wby, a 26" HS Precision SPL and a Conquest 3-9x40. It could become my Pronghorn/Whitetail rifle. It's lighter and while not quite as accurate, still sub MOA with the right loads. I think the 6.5 would be better beyond 450 yds, or so, but how often does one need those extreme ranges to kill a speed goat?

DF
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Yep
Originally Posted by Tom264
Yep

What went with those postings about Rick limiting Larry's multiple Fire names back to one? Was that a fact or a rumor?

DF
I lost count years ago on how many Antelope I've Killed with a 270. they do work will.

Don't overlook a 270 with 150's. They'll shoot to almost the same point of impact and will have more downrange energy at long range. They'll also buck the wind slightly better. I've killed lots of deer and elk with those.
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Tom264
Yep

What went with those postings about Rick limiting Larry's multiple Fire names back to one? Was that a fact or a rumor?

DF
Its a fact, unfortunately this is entirely a different troll.
270 is a good all around choice for the three you mentioned. Then again my buddies from my hometown all shoot 300's with 180 grain pills for coues and antelope and that does wonders. But for 450 yards max like you mentioned,I don't see the need for more than a 270. Hell a 243 would be hard to beat too. Its when you get out passed about 500 yards that I would look to a mag with a good bullet.
I shoot a 7RM.

Kique
For Coues I carried a .300 Win Mag for years loaded with 150, 168 or 180 grain bullets, but am now using a .270 w/ 130s. Both work fine, my vote would be the one you shoot best.
Mike
270 loaded with 140 Accubonds would be hard to beat everyday of the year... Thats my back up gun/load combo.
243 win Core-Lokt 120
Must be a wrong keystroke as there is no 243 120 corelokt.

Should be an option everyone has...LOL 257 Weatherby under appreciated long range game getter going. IMHO
270 loaded with 140 Accubonds would be hard to beat everyday of the year... Thats my back up gun/load combo.

I could not agree more with this line of thinking, given your two choices.
Thanks hamr.... Next back up is a 7rum with accubonds. I like the slat shooters!

Surprised no one mentioned the 25/06 with a 115-grainer. While you can't go wrong with pot full of cartridges that have roughly the same trajectory, the 270, being among the best, I always thought the 25 was made for the little goats and deer.
I do agree, the 25's are perfect for animals in the 150-175 and less range. I'll have a hard time not selecting my 257 wby for any hunt up to elk.
I prefer to use the second best cartridge.
He asked a simple question but lots of you have to chime in with calibers that he probably doesn't have.

If the range is limited to 450, you don't need a 300 mag. If you want to use the 300 mag, I would recommend against the poor BC, poor SD 110 grain bullets. If I were to use the 300 mag, I would use at least a 150 grain bullet and more likely a 168 or so.

I am not a 270 fan but it will certainly be a good rifle for what he's looking at.
I'd suggest you look through his previous posts...

270 smile
It would be hard to argue against a 24" .270 with 140's.
If you don't live where there is a 400 yard range, it would be worth a trip to take your rifles out somewhere where you could test your rifle/loads against each other on the same day at same distance. Whenever I have tested loads at 300 yards and beyond I often find surprises.
YUP,

the .270 Win. with the 130 gr. bullet has taken many tough ol' antelope bucks over the years. A standard .270 load for 130 Sierra or Nosler partition is 55.0 gr of IMR 4350, right out of most reloading books.

YMMV,

Jim
I'd suggest a 240 Weatherby for pronghorn. Then a 6mm Rem for Coues, and a 243 Win for blacktail. One can't have too many firearms. I one moves up to mule deer, then one must step into the 25 calibers.
Agree with the choice of .270 for the game you have listed. .270 is made to order for them!
Heck, a 223 or anything bigger is more than enough gun...

ya got range to deal with if you want to take them at 500 yds... so move up to a 22/250 or 243...
Takin my 257 wby to New Mexico in a week to antelope and it has worked several times over on Coues deer... Cant wait for this hunting season!

50 BMG..............troll
Can't understand why people respond over and over again to a troll....specially since you've been told.

Shows how little people pay attention.........
© 24hourcampfire